Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Clio

Options
  • 10-05-2006 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can ye take a look at this car and give me ur opinion on it

http://www.carzone.ie/413143

What u think of the milage on it -- 123000 in 7 years!! Thats a lot me tinks but any how ur opinions are needed on this one

Cheers

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the price is low enough. but I'd take it for granted that the living crap's been driven out of it. That said, there's a years NCT on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The format of the picture looks grand so either the colour or the spoiler are making the car look really squashed up. Odd.

It's a fairly large amount of mile sfor someone to be doing in a clio. You'd think if they were going to be driving that much they'd have bought a bigger car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have you test driven any Clios? I personally found the ridiculously heavy clutch very hard to get used to when I drove one a couple of years ago.
    The boy racer tat attached to that car, along with the very high mileage, would put me off though. Hey, at least he didn't clock it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

stepbar wrote:
    Hi all,

Can ye take a look at this car and give me ur opinion on it

http://www.carzone.ie/413143

What u think of the milage on it -- 123000 in 7 years!! Thats a lot me tinks but any how ur opinions are needed on this one

Cheers

Stephen

My first impression is "OMG". Those max power modifications are not to my liking at all. But that is my opinion.

That mileage is pretty high alright for a 7 year 1.2 litre car. I would be concerned by the way those miles were driven. The current owner didn't even bother to wash the car for the photos which gives me the impression that they are not too interested in the car. A car wash only costs a few euros and can make a big difference imo. This could be a sign that the car had a hard life. I would also have the body work and mechanics checked by an expert as it could have seen the wrong side of a ditch.

I know this sounds like alot of effort for a cheap car but at the end of the day €2k is still €2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Herself has a 98 clio, which I am fairly sure is the same model as the one in the advert. Personally, I don't like it too much; I have found it very hard to get find a comfortable driving position, and it just doesn't feel like the controls are particularly well laid out, unless you are very close to the steering wheel.

Also with all that max power kit on it, there is a fairly good chance that the car has seen some hard miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eoin_s wrote:
    Herself has a 98 clio, which I am fairly sure is the same model as the one in the advert. Personally, I don't like it too much; I have found it very hard to get find a comfortable driving position, and it just doesn't feel like the controls are particularly well laid out, unless you are very close to the steering wheel.

Also with all that max power kit on it, there is a fairly good chance that the car has seen some hard miles.

The clio is like most small cars, unles it's your main car ( or your car is also a small car) they car feel a bit awkward when using them briefly. I always found my 00 clio a very comfortable car ( and a damn site better off than the old micra that my ex had) until I bought my accord, then found the clio a little uncomfortable when I have to move it or drive it a bit. Having said that, I found the accord and rover 520 uncomfortable when goign back from the safrane, so it really depends on what your car is at teh momnent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I like the kit it's a lot more tasteful than some others i've seen

That said The mileage might not be the reason it's cheap.

Did anyone notice the DL reg, the roads up there tend to be ****e and full of pot holes as a general stereotype

Get a mechanic to check it out at that price u can afford to

it's being sold in Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Tks for the advice lads, me thinks that the price would have to drop a little further god knows how much it could cost in the future, a car with hard miles (To put it this way over the last 7 years the car has done 50 miles a day!!) like that could be more trouble than its worth, it could start with a gear box next an engine and so on so id have to seriously think about a purchase and get a full mechanics report on it before id even consider handing over 2 odd grand.

you can't expect them to sell it for nothing either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I wouldn't see the mileage as being particularly high - 300-odd miles a week over 7 years? I do around 250 / week - but its brand new open road all the way, the wear on the car will be a lot less than a car that sits in traffic all the time.

However, 123k on that car will bring it to a fragile stage of its life. Add to that the car tuner's possible aspirations (towards speed), its 3 owners and the fact that it started life in Donegal, then I'd check it over carefully.

Advertisement