Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the ugliest structure in Dublin?

Options
  • 10-05-2006 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭

Walking through town today it occured to me that the railway bridge across the Liffey at Butt Bridge must be the greatest eyesore in Dublin. It completely obscures the view of the Custom House, which must be one of the finest buildings in Dublin (if not Ireland).
    They recently removed the advertising hoardings from the side of the railway bridge, but I think this makes it look even worse - at least the ads provided a bit of colour!. Now its just a horrible ugly black fence like structure. Vile!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm sure the Spire will be mentioned a few times here.

If I had to choose a building, it'd have to be the Dept of Health & Children on Hawkins St.
    Terrible building... just as well it's kind of hidden away.

The Civic Offices on Wood Quay come close behind....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

~Central bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

whiskeyman wrote:
    the Dept of Health & Children on Hawkins St.
    Seconded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭TapouT

whiskeyman wrote:

If I had to choose a building, it'd have to be the Dept of Health & Children on Hawkins St.

The Civic Offices on Wood Quay come close behind....

Couldn't agree more.

When the spire was proposed I wasn't one of its critics. I said give it a chance. IMHO its butt ugly and serves no useful purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I agree that it's the Dept of Health.

I like the spire a lot! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

TapouT wrote:
    Couldn't agree more.

When the spire was proposed I wasn't one of its critics. I said give it a chance. IMHO its butt ugly and serves no useful purpose.
    Hmm if you go into town dont you see hundereds of people standing around the spire/ taking pictures! lol does bring in some money haha all the forigners just say hey wanna go to dublin city to see a big pointy thing in the sky??!!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

I am going to go with a not so popular view with The Subshine Chambers:D

In fairness Dublin is not very bad for ugly buildings. Most of the ones that would be called ugly are generally just in the wrong place more so than actually ugly.

Wood Quay is actually quite nice inside but is in the worst spot in the entire city. I like the central Bank but what was there was nicer.

I actully think Steven's Green Shopping centre is a terrible waste chance to do something more modern and complementry instead reproduction georgian

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

IMO Busaras would be in the top 5.So thats the Dept of Health,the railway bridge and Busaras all within a few hundred yards of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Agree with the "Sick building" on Hawkins St.
    Also the ESB headquarters and the pill-box/gun emplacement bits of the civic offices (other part is quite a nice building IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roar83

i think the custom house looks brilliant....however if you stand out side it, it looks unmaintained. All the dirt from the lorries, and paint peeling off the doors and windows. a shame really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

The extension to Connolly Station is an eyesore. It looks like an air conditioning vent. There is no coorelation or respect for the original building also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Busaras and Tax Office at the back of the four courts

i likes the spire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hawkins House is truly hideous in a 'world's most hideous buildings' kind of way.

Mostly anything built in the 70s is definitely on the ugliest list.

I like the Spire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I like the Spire, But why was it built?

Oh and Fatima Mansion have to be the ugliest buildings in Ireland. I know they are going soon, but sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

whiskeyman wrote:

Your right. I hate that thing. That was the biggest load of crap they ever built. The amount of money wasted on it. They reckon that if it leans over another bit that they will have to take it down altogether. They should have put a statue or something there, or maybe rebuild Nelson's Pillar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Nelson's Pillar.

Get up out of that.

I'd agree with that yolk on Hawkins street but since that actually serves a purpose, I'm going to have to go with the Spire.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

whiskeyman wrote:
    The Spire. As for the railway bridge, its nice. What else do you want? A brickwork bridge?:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

You've got to be kidding, the railway bridge at Tara Station completely obscures the whole view of the liffey.

It probably couldn't be in a worse place.

matc66 wrote:
    You've got to be kidding, the railway bridge at Tara Station completely obscures the whole view of the liffey.

It probably couldn't be in a worse place.

So what?
    It's really frickin old, and it serves a very important purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Milligan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whats with having to 'serve a purpose'?

Is it a necessary attribute for a building/structure to have to be worthwhile?

The Spire does 'serve a purpose' actually, but if you cannot recognise what it is, there's no point trying to enlighten you.

You can't see the signifigance of a railway bridge, or why a buildings purpose is relevant, so don't talk to me about enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Luas Bridge in Dundrum....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This thread is about aesthetics, ('ugliest') not usefulness.
    One does not imply nor rule out the other.

OK, so you hate the Spire - big deal - whether it 'serves a purpose' in your eyes is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

The extension to Connolly Station is an eyesore. It looks like an air conditioning vent. There is no coorelation or respect for the original building also.

well said, it took some effort to make it that ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

As Nelson's Column was a thing of its era, so is The Spire.

Being pointless, expensive, shiney and sharp, I think it sums up the New Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've two words for you, 'Sam Stephenson'. Chief among his crimes against humanity include:

- The Central Bank
    - The Dublin Corporation Offices at Wood Quay
    - ESB Headquarters in Fitzwilliam Street

One single man, responsible for all of the above. Shocking isn't it?

The ESB Headquarters entailed the destruction of the longest complete Georgian streetscape in Europe with 11 complete house being demolished creating a huge break in the flow of Fitzwilliam Street / Square and Merrion Square.

He received the RIAI Gold Medal in 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Dept of Health & Children on Hawkins St was the first thing to pop into my head as well... I've seen photos of the Theatre Royal that was there before it and that was a beautiful building...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Yore Ma!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭TapouT

They should have put a statue or something there, or maybe rebuild Nelson's Pillar.

Would a statue of Micheal Collins not be more appropriate?.

Advertisement