Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Pellet Boiler in Semi-D?

Options
  • 10-05-2006 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Recently, I followed some of the threads to do with wood pellet boilers and other green home energy sources. I was mainly doing some research for that time when I upgrade the house I'm in now and build something bigger out the country somewhere. I was also trying to figure out if it would suit my parents who use oil. I think wood pellet boilers are definitely the way to go if you use oil and you have a big enough space to heat, but my parents don't buy it. They figure that because more people want them, the cost of the wood and the boilers will go up along with oil. Old heads on old shoulders....thinking back to the oil crisis in the 70s.

Anyway, to my point. I heard on the news tonight that Bord Gáis are looking to increase the cost of gas by 40% next year. Now I expected a bit of a rise, but not 40%. So this got me thinking about a wood pellet boiler for my own house.

I live in a 4 bed semi-detached house that's almost 3 years old. It's a wooden frame house and I have a decent sized garden. Would I be mad thinking of installing a wood pellet boiler in my house? How much space do I need to be able to install one and have enough storage space to buy bulk pellets? With the grant in place, it may pay off. Gas will definitely increase in price and perhaps having a wood pellet boiler installed in a semi-d may help sell it easier in the future if we ever move.

So my query is, wood pellet boilers in a semi-detached house instead of gas.....yes or no?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

AlanD,
    Bord Gáis are looking to increase the cost of gas by 40%

Options to consider before going down the pellet boiler route,
    better insulation of your home (it's not to old but it maybe possible to improve certain area's)
    efficent heating controls, (turning stat's down a little and adjust on/off times do you have control over different heating zones?)
    gas condensing boiler (more efficient than standard units and probably less work involved to change to a pellet boiler)
    solar panels to heat hot water cylinder or thermal store/accumulator.

The energy show at the RDS is on tommorrow if you had the time you could get some answers to your questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 kvw

If I were in your position I would consider a wood pellet or wood burning stove with an integrated boiler and tap this into your central heating system.

Keep the gas as a aback-up and fit solar water heating.

My first job though,would be to max out on the insulation and draft proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Alan,

I think the owners of the three and four bed semi detached houses were not given enough consideration in the new grant as many do not have the choice or space to fit anything other than the stove with integrated boiler and the grant for that product is €1,800.00.

I am not bashing the grant it's a lot better than a short time ago, it just appears the owners of homes with limited space were not really considered.

I agree with Kvw, try and get the most out of your existing system, changing to wood pellet without changing your insulation or indeed "Our bad habits" when using our heating systems will still mean we just use more fuel than necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Hi all,

yes I guess it would be worth going down other eco routes first.

So insulation: our house requires very little heat already to keep it warm in Winter and apart from the vent holes, there's no obvious drafts in the place, however, are there companies who can accurately determine the efficiency of the insulation currently installed in the house? Me going around looking for drafts isn't so scientific.

Then, thermostat control: We just have a thermostat on the boiler itself which I monitor closely enough. I never leave the heat on just to be on, I use the timer wisely and I adjust the thermostat depending on the temp of the house. The only zone control I have though is turning on or off completely upstairs or downstairs radiators. Is it possible to retro fit separate room controls which would probably help considerably reduce our gas bills.

Gas Condensing boilers: would they more efficient enough to pay for themselves over 4/5 years?

Solar panels: I really like the idea of these, however I doubt I'd be able to fit them. We have red roof tiles, as have every house in the estate, so solar panels may not get approval from the council. Although I do have a garden shed!! I could add solar panels to both sides. Our garden is a super sun trap and the garden shed would have direct sunshine from morning to night. Approximate cost?

A boiler then: I think we would have the space to fit a boiler outside and should still probably be considered.

Overall, our gas doesn't cost that much I guess since we use it wisely and our house heats up easily. But I still don't want to be overly affected by gas price rises over the next few years. Plus I like environmentally friendly ways of doing things, carbon neutral is a positive. Could a boiler possibly pay for itself?

Thanks,

Alan,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Alan,

It is possible to fit thermostatic radiator valves which will give you control over each room, you could also look into a thermostat on the return from the system upstairs and down stairs.

Solar panels can look well properly fitted beside red roof tiles I am referring to panels that are integrated into the roof and flashed very similar to Velux roof lights.

With the present grant a boiler should pay for itself over time, the big question is how much fuel are you using to make a comparison against ? you must also factor in the saving on hot water from your solar system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement