Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do guys really find tall girls intimidating

• 10-05-2006 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

hey just want ot clarify what guys think of tall girls ie over 6ft...people often tell me my height is imtimidating :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

this post is probably better suited to PI

generally its only the smaller guys that will feel intimidated, i'm a six-three guy and i'd prefer any girl i'm with to be close to my height so it wouldnt bother me that your 6 foot+ (not that i'm coming onto you or anything ;) )

if you're making a big issue of it in your mind then of course it's going to trouble you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Height isnt an issue.. Some guys like it. me included. But then i am 6.5 so really small women can be a pain in the neck!

Dont let ur height bother you. Confidence is will smooth your way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

No.

Wise words I once heard .. from a 5ft2 girl of all people ... "everyone's the same height in bed".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Lemming wrote:
    No.

Wise words I once heard .. from a 5ft2 girl of all people ... "everyone's the same height in bed".

That depends on what you're measuring :D

But for the most part I reckon tall guys prefer tall girls. It's always nice not to become the hunchback of Notre Dame when you're getting off with someone.

Smaller guys though might be a bit intimidated.. Can't see why though...

I wouldnt have a problem!although saying that, all my previous girlfriends were at least 6inches shorter than me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm 6ft, but I wouldn't have a problem with going out with a girl that's taller than me. I'm actually quite a fan of the tall, leggy look :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Quite frankly, I find tall women are often the most attractive. I'm just over 6ft, so it wouldn't bother me, but I can understand why some shortarses would be self-conscious about going out with a girl taller than themselves though. I can't see why it would be intimidating though.

Tall ftw tbh cba.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Scoops

Quite frankly, I find tall women are often the most attractive. I'm just over 6ft, so it wouldn't bother me, but I can understand why some shortarses would be self-conscious about going out with a girl taller than themselves though. I can't see why it would be intimidating though.

Tall ftw tbh cba.

what does this mean - Tall ftw tbh cba?

Scoops wrote:

Tall for the win, to be honest, can't be arsed. In essense, needless acronyms for comic effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Scoops wrote:
    For The Win
    T
    o Be Honest
    Can't Be Arsed

Me being 6 foot 6, I haven't come across a woman being taller than me. Saying that, for me, if they're too small, I may find it a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Scoops

Tall for the win, to be honest, can't be arsed. In essense, needless acronyms for comic effect.

Thanks again, I'll stop hassling you to explain things to me now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

lol

RuggieBear wrote:
    lol

Desired effect attained. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Adriana Karembeu is 6ft odd and she wouldn't intimidate me in any way.

But why do short women always hit on tall guys ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Good question. I'm short.. 5'4 at most, and I know I generally prefer tall guys, 6 foot or taller, for no reason that I can think of really. But they hit on me first! >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Juicebox

Wuhooo this is great didnt expect such a positive response...its just that i think theres a shortage of 6fters down here in clare maybe thats why guys people tel me im intimidating cuz there all smallee than moi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

So that their children are more likely to be tall, evolution innit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I think it's a security thing, not a 100% sure though.

My gf is tall enough, she's 5'9" but I'm 6'5" so that makes her look small.
    I've only ever met one girl taller than me, my god it was scary, not because of her height, but her face!! :p

ya see its a bit like horse breeding u get the female whos has certain weak points and match her up with a male that is strong in those points et voila a beaufiful foal...so same principal for humans i guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so your 6 foot what the shortest guy you've been out with?

• Advertisement

parasite wrote:
    So that their children are more likely to be tall, evolution innit

I think eugenics would be a more apt word.

well im 6ft1 and been out with a guy that was 5ft10 and it was just soooooooooo bloody akward...never againn i tell ya.This may seem shallow but after that i dnt really look at guys who are shorter :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Can't really think of any bird I've fancied that has been the same height or taller than me, but at my height (6ft... ish), they're pretty rare. There's something about a nice petite girl, 5'4 to 5'6 is pretty much what I'd look for to be honest...

Hey Juicebox, we should talk, all of my friends are minimum 6' as we all play basketball :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I'm the shortest in our family of the guys and I'm just under 6'4" but both my brothers who are 6'5 are married to women who are 5'1 an 5'3.

Last 2 serious relationships I've had were with girls who were 5'2 and 5'4....I don't conciously go for short women but it just always seems to end up that way !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Manolo Blahnik

Wasn't there a research thingy done and it mentioned something about short men attracted to taller girls 'cause they've more testosterone...?

I'm exactly 5'7 and when I even pass shorter guys on the street I feel all awkward so I could never go out with a short guy :p

My boyfreind's 6 something which is perfect love hugging him.
    Tall guys are definitely hot but there gets to a stage where they can be ''too tall''

There's a woman working in a shop in my town and she's about 6'7 or 8 even I feel so sorry for her :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

Must be the way they grow them in Clare! :p

Can't Say ive seen a whole load of girls in Dublin that would be over the 6Ft
    mark in bare feet, unless they wear 5 inch heels! Tallest ive seen in Dublin would have been 6ft(in shoes).

Tall girls ugly or not always make me look twice, glad im of average height though, would hate to go around and have not even 1 or 2 girls taller than me.

I reckon the whole thing about women "wanting tall men" is not true and is more psychological than physiological! i.e "The daddy Complex" the idea of a large figure offering that comfort.

If anything guys under 6ft, look younger, and are more attentive and respectful of there tall g/friends.

Haha yup its all that bacon and cabbage and spuds of course!! See i dont think it wud be such an issue as it is in clare...basketball team haha ya right thats only for civilised places like dublin..i wish, although i am on a volleyball team and height is great for it.Summer times great too cuz loads of tourists who i am often insignificant against in height terms.Plus i gotta do most of my shoppin in dublin which is a pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

well i'm a bit of a shortarse at 5'8 but if tall women didnt descriminate against shorter guys i'd have no problem getting with a tall girl, i'm confident in what i can bring to the relationship:p

• Advertisement

5ft8 is average for a guy is it not? i just cant from bad past experiences thats why i dnt really look at smaller guys. hmm remember hitting my head in germany cuz i cudnt fit through the door :confused:

Juicebox wrote:
    5ft8 is average for a guy is it not?
    officially yes but i find in a crowd (gigs) that i'm shorter than a lot of people:confused:

its natural for a girl to want a man bigger than her (to protect her) and its natural for a guy to want a girl smaller than him (to protect).

personally it dosnt bother me, variety is the spice of life. a girls height wouldnt rule her out of a bit of ferdi-love either way:D

haha in gigs people always wanna get on my shoulders!!...then we get kicked out like in the pixies...but manage to get back in again :D Maybe its because ive never been truely truely in love with someone that i have this mindset..when i am..correction if i am and he is smaller than me things might be a lot different and i mite seem like a total hypocrite!!

you cant help who your attracted to, if it dosnt include shorter guys thats fine, go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Personally at 6'3 I'm so used to being taller than most people that taller people of either sex are a little intimidating. Saying that I've only met one girl taller than me and I found it rather exhilarating for some reason. In general I prefer taller girls, just don't wear too much of a heel;) Shorter guys may be the opposite. They would be used to people being taller, so it is more likely to be a personal hang-up preferring to be the taller in the couple than intimidation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Allow me to intimidate you then Osiris, I'm about 6'5" :p

And tall girls are great - I had a girlfriend who was 6'2" last year one of the many benefits was my neck not hurting at all! She was quite pleased too, because she could wear heels! Far from being intimidated, I was extatic, the first time I saw her (over the crowd at a gig, no less) I had to go and talk to her, if it weren't for her height I wouldn't have even seen her.

AFAIK, 5'10" is average height for men, so it's not all lost Juicebox, there should be about 25% of the male population that's taller than you, two of my housemates are over 6' as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I definitely go for taller guys... I'm 5'6", so if a guy is shorter than me he must be a right shortarse. I prefer around 6'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Wasn't there a research thingy done and it mentioned something about short men attracted to taller girls 'cause they've more testosterone...?

:(

Yep...there was a thread on this a couple of weeks back.Anywho got to the stage that it was annoying only being chatted up by small men but then I realised it was all biological...http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/003028.html

Ive only ever gone out with guys taller then me (im 6foot 1).Its odd though cos all my close girly friend are small.My two best friends are both under 5 foot 5 and I never really seem to get on that well with taller women...strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Here's an interesting biological stat on tall people - maybe this will explain why you're so desireable :p
    I've just been talking about a test--called the IAT--which measures your level of "unconscious prejudice." That's the kind of prejudice that you have that you aren't aware of, that affects the kinds of impressions and conclusions that you reach automatically, without thinking.

On a conscious level, I'm sure that all of us don't think that we treat tall people any differently from short people. But there's plenty of evidence to suggest that height does trigger a certain set of very positive, unconscious associations. I polled about half of the companies on the Fortune 500 list--the largest corporations in the United States--asking each company questions about its CEO. The heads of big companies are, as I'm sure comes as no surprise to anyone, overwhelmingly white men, which undoubtedly reflects some kind of implicit bias. But they are also virtually all tall: In my sample, I found that on average CEOs were just a shade under six feet. Given that the average American male is 5'9" that means that CEOs, as a group, have about three inches on the rest of their sex. But this statistic actually understates matters. In the U.S. population, about 14.5 percent of all men are six feet or over. Among CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, that number is 58 percent. Even more strikingly, in the general American population, 3.9 percent of adult men are 6'2" or taller. Among my CEO sample, 30 percent were 6'2" or taller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

While I've no particular preference sometimes tall girls, i.e. over six foot, can be a bit ungainly in their movements. It's not uncommon for them to be more muscular too which really isn't my thing. I'm six foot and I'd tend to go out with girls around the same height or shorter, I like curvey which isn't as common in taller girls.
    All that said I'd find a graceful curvey tall girl very attractive!

humbert wrote:
    thats good of you

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote:
    im 6foot 1

Sorry I've a girlfriend :p Joking

Just on what you said about not getting on with tall women, when I used to work in the odeon (dublin) on the door, you'd never ever see a group of tall women coming in together. There was this one girl who was like 6'5" but looked alot taller if you know what I mean, her friends were all in the mid 5 foot region, just looked weird. I reckon it's the whole competition factor coming into affect, I think I'd be right in saying that it's a female thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

humbert wrote:
    While I've no particular preference sometimes tall girls, i.e. over six foot, can be a bit ungainly in their movements. It's not uncommon for them to be more muscular too which really isn't my thing. I'm six foot and I'd tend to go out with girls around the same height or shorter, I like curvey which isn't as common in taller girls.

It very difficult for tall girls to be curvey......Thats why its not very nice when you read in magazines and the newspapers every day that 90% of guys find skinny the ultimate turn off and curves are the way to go. I feel sorry for people like Mischa Barton who are told that she's to skinny and had to defend her lack of curves and being a bad role model......Its not her fault she was born tall and skinny

there is tall and skinny and then there is the heroin-chic supermodel look. naturally tall and thin is obviously a beautiful body type, while the 'eating-a carrot-stick-and-puking-it-up-an-hour-later' look is not.

ultimately the sexiest thing is a woman who is comfortable with how she looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

ok, just for the record - where are all these tall men (6" 4' and up) hiding these days? I'm 5"11' and when I was single, I found trying to find a suitable tall man in Ireland was almost impossible - it's midget central, at least Galway is...(well, I found a nice, tall guy now, but it took some time to find him...(since tall isn't the only criterion ;-))

I heard Killaloe produces a more-than-average share of tall men...just a rumour?

I couldnt go out with a smaller man - I would always be concious about the fact that he might feel inadequate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

galah wrote:
    I couldnt go out with a smaller man - I would always be concious about the fact that he might feel inadequate...

Come on now your 5ft11 not 6ft11, dont think there's any chance of a guy feeling inadequate! Unless he's 5ft nothing maybe! :p

ok, just for the record - where are all these tall men (6" 4' and up) hiding these days?

Never mind that, where are all the 6ft and over women in Dublin! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

This'll sound horrible, but here goes.

About a zillion years ago I went out with a 6'1 blonde girl from London.

I'm 5'10.

Most guys will go on about 'oh yeah, gimme a big leggy blonde' etc, but seriously I found her height a bit off-putting as it was like *gulp* being with a man.

These days she's happily married, after meeting her 6'6" hubby in the UK Tall Person Club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

panda100 wrote:
    It very difficult for tall girls to be curvey......Thats why its not very nice when you read in magazines and the newspapers every day that 90% of guys find skinny the ultimate turn off and curves are the way to go. I feel sorry for people like Mischa Barton who are told that she's to skinny and had to defend her lack of curves and being a bad role model......Its not her fault she was born tall and skinny

I know exactly how you feel! :D
    Having said that Mischa Barton might be of a naturally thin build, but I doubt she's as thin as she is naturally. My sister's taller than her, and while quite thin, nowhere near as thin as Mischa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

This thread seems to show a number of things.

Men's preferences are due to
    a) them being shallow
    or
    b) them being sad and feeling insecure.

I've been with tall, small, skinny, curvy girls etc.

I tend to end up with smaller girls. But that is me. Some of my friends chase taller girls with a zeal that would put Iain Paisley to shame.

In short - don't over analyse. As has been said here, the most attractive girls are those at ease with themselves.

Short/tall insecure girls are not attractive.

Calm secure girls of whatever height/build/hair colour/eye colour/hair style/boob size are attractive.

... in the UK Tall Person Club!
    are there short person clubs? i doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

quad_red wrote:
    This thread seems to show a number of things.

Men's preferences are due to
    a) them being shallow
    or
    b) them being sad and feeling insecure.

...I tend to end up with smaller girls. But that is me.

So which are you? Shallow or insecure?

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement