Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do guys really find tall girls intimidating

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ferdi wrote:
    are there short person clubs? i doubt it.
    There are a few of those in the UK too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

So which are you? Shallow or insecure?

;)

Errr, both obviously!

(maybe I should have rephrased that first sentence! :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

panda100 wrote:
    It very difficult for tall girls to be curvey......Thats why its not very nice when you read in magazines and the newspapers every day that 90% of guys find skinny the ultimate turn off and curves are the way to go. I feel sorry for people like Mischa Barton who are told that she's to skinny and had to defend her lack of curves and being a bad role model......Its not her fault she was born tall and skinny
    That's pretty much my point, of course I'm not blaming anyone I just don't find tall girls attractive for that reason. Mischa Barton isn't attractive anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

tall slim girls are the hottest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I can't think of any woman other than my mother in full rant mode when I was a kid that I've found intimidating!

I'm 5'7" and although I tend to end up with girls who are 1-2" taller/shorter than me I have had relationships/flings with taller girls. One who was 5'11" and one was 6'1". Neither of us was particularily bothered by the height and it didn't cause any problems.

I think if you're secure in yourself and you find someone attractive, it doesn't matter what height either of you are. Mind you, it's far easier to maintain good eye contact when you're the same height, of course you could just stand while she sits and that will address that issue :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

this is definitely going OT now, but I find that taller girls and shorter (I mean significantly shorter, not just an inch or so) men just look silly together - I personally would want a shoulder to lean on (literally) - without hurting my back... ;)

quad_red wrote:
    Errr, both obviously!

(maybe I should have rephrased that first sentence! :p )

Rearrange the following words to form an apt phrase or sentence: petard, hoisted, your, own, by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Juicebox

right thats it ive solved my problem obviously theyre arent gonna be 6footers at 18 years of age so thats why i have issues with finding guys my age anyways and theyre arent too many 6ft girls at 18. Nah killaloe in clare? nope doubt it but i met loads of tramore guys at the weekend and they were huuuuuge one was 6ft 5..beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭lank

hello juice box , i am the co-ordinator for the tall persons club in ireland , saw your post you might find it useful to look at the club website

The Tall Persons Club GB & Ireland is dedicated to providing information for and promoting the interests of tall people.

Whether you are tall yourself, know someone who is tall, or have children who are tall, this is the site with more practical information than any other.

If height is an issue in your life, be it your own height, or that of someone close to you, joining the Tall Persons Club GB & Ireland will help you and others like you to improve matters not just for tall people, but for all people.

The club's 15th Anniversary Weekend, 25 - 28th August 2006, is in Robin Hood country.

Below are just a few of the things the club can offer you, even if you are not yet a member:

* Browse our popular Bulletin Board. With hundreds of users there is always something interesting being discussed and always something new to discover.

Join your region's events mailing list: occasional messages from the region's co-ordinator.
    Choose a Region:
    Enter Email Address:

* The Product Reviews section will help you find a car, bike, household item, even a B&B, that is suitable for your height. You can also write your own mini-review and help other tall people by adding to this ever-growing database!

* Visit the Events section for forthcoming social events (local, national and international) plus a number of photos of past events where you can see what goes on at club gatherings.

* Learn about the major medical conditions associated with being tall in the Medical Information section.

* The Chat Room is a popular introduction to the club and its members, with real-time conversations taking place most evenings. For the best chance of finding a tall friend to chat with, drop in around 10pm UK time (11pm CET).

The Club provides:

* regular magazine
    * directory of suppliers
    * retailer discounts
    * advice & guidance
    * medical information
    * lobbying
    * fun social events
    * lively discussions
    * product reviews
    * an idea exchange

The Tall Persons Club GB & Ireland is an independent non-profit organisation, founded in 1991, with the aim of "providing information for and promoting the interests of tall people". These aims cover the practical, medical, psychological and social aspects of being taller than average.

Who Should Join?

Membership is for those who consider themselves taller than average. You decide. We have no minimum height requirement because we believe that people know for themselves whether they are tall or not. With each generation growing taller our members are drawn from every age group and walk of life. We welcome all who will benefit from our information and who wish to support the promotion of matters of importance to those taller than average. The Club aims to have regular contact with commercial, medical, regulatory and other organisations with whom we raise the awareness of the specific needs of tall people.

The Club's Directors

The Club welcomes individuals and families -- tall children are after all the next generation of members. The Club is a company limited by guarantee run for the benefit of its members. After one year, members are automatically granted voting rights. A great opportunity to have your voice heard in the issues that affect the TPC.

What Are The Benefits?

The regular Club magazine "6ft+" contains a wealth of information on tall life and tall matters and gives members an opportunity to air their views. All members receive four magazines a year as part of their membership benefits.
    club magazines

membership card

The Club publishes a Supplier Directory that lists hundreds of companies meeting the needs of those taller than average -- clothing, footwear, furniture, etc. By using the information provided members will save their membership fee with interest. And on top of that the Club has negotiated discounts with a number of tall retailers, including some big names, on production of your membership card.

The Club website is a rich source of information and up-to-the-minute news. The Bulletin Board System (BBS) offers the facility to comment and exchange views with other members.

As is the case with most tall clubs around the world, we hold many social events, which members of other tall clubs are welcome to attend. Likewise, we enjoy taking part in overseas tall club events such as the European convention ("Europatreffen") which is held in a different European city each year and the North American tall clubs convention, held in a different North American city each year. The Tall Persons Club GB & Ireland has forged links with other tall clubs across Europe and North America. These links are a great source of information and friendship.

Some Club statistics:

* over 1000 members
    * average female height: 6'1"
    * average male height: 6'6"
    * members aged 16-80
    * average member age: 42
    * most common age: 31

You can find out about the major events scheduled for the coming year in the Events section (which also contains photographs of some past events). Details of local events can be found in the Club magazine, the Events forum of the Bulletin Board or by contacting your local co-ordinator -- Great Britain and Ireland are split into almost 30 regions.

How Do I Join?

You may join the Club wherever you live. Membership is £25 per year for individual membership and £30 for families (2 or more people living at same address). The concessionary price (for individuals and on proof only) is £20 for students in full-time education, senior citizens and those on Long-term Incapacity Benefit. For those outside of Great Britain and Ireland but within the rest of the EC an extra £6 is charged to cover increased postage costs. For the rest of the world add £10.

The Club accepts cheques or credit card (VISA or Mastercard) in payment of membership fees and major social events. Membership fees can also be paid by standing order after your first year of membership.

Promoting the Club

The Club has produced promotional posters for putting up in your local area. There are many opportunities for these to be used: libraries, doctors sugeries, health centres, sports centres, college noticeboards, information boards.

The posters are available in two sizes: A4 and A5. We believe that the A5 size is more likely to be acceptable to administrators and will stay up longer than the large A4 version. The posters are in Acrobat/PDF format:

* click here for the A5 posters (2 on an A4 page)
    * click here for the A4 poster

Club Information & Responsibilities

The Club's Information & Responsibilities document for can be viewed by clicking here.

Magazine Back Issues

Club members can now download a number of recent back issues of the club's magazine "6ft+" in Acrobat/PDF format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭lank

lorna conroy ireland co-ordinator can be contacted by email at tallclub@eircom.net

Contact Details

Club Address & Telephone No.

Tall Persons Club GB & Ireland
    The Richmond Business Centre
    Greyhound House
    23-24 George Street
    Richmond
    Surrey
    TW9 1HY
    United Kingdom

Tel: 07000 TALL-1-2 (07000 825512)

Email

General: admin@tallclub.co.uk
    Advertising: advertising@tallclub.co.uk
    Archive: archive@tallclub.co.uk
    Event Enquiries & Notices: events@tallclub.co.uk
    Magazine Editor: magazine@tallclub.co.uk
    Media Enquiries: media@tallclub.co.uk
    Suppliers: suppliers@tallclub.co.uk
    Tall Teenagers Co-ordinator: teenagers@tallclub.co.uk / tel: 01865 736710
    Transport Group: transport@tallclub.co.uk

lank wrote:
    hello juice box , i am the co-ordinator for the tall persons club in ireland , saw your post you might find it useful to look at the club website

Now Ferdi, you see? I wasn't making it up!

I won't name 'n' shame my ex as she's quite big in the UK TPC at the moment (no pun intended!).

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

TALL WOMEN YUM YUM,
    im 6 4 and there is nothing more i like than a tall woman, small women seem like they are intimidated by the size dont like that makes me laugh...then some small women have a napolian complex, hate that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

ferdi wrote:
    ultimately the sexiest thing is a woman who is comfortable with how she looks.

lol yeah sure... as long as she's good-looking that is :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

I have yet to find a tall girl who is confident with there height!!!

I am - as long as I don't have to go clothes shopping in Ireland... ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

panda100 wrote:
    It very difficult for tall girls to be curvey......Thats why its not very nice when you read in magazines and the newspapers every day that 90% of guys find skinny the ultimate turn off and curves are the way to go. I feel sorry for people like Mischa Barton who are told that she's to skinny and had to defend her lack of curves and being a bad role model......Its not her fault she was born tall and skinny

I think mischa barton's gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm a 5'6" guy and i dont find tall women intimidating at all, then again i'm in a relationship so maybe its only guys feeling they cant hit on tall women. if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Right I'm going to say this but before I do I know that I'm going to get absolutely abused over it....but any tall girl I know (and there's a few) feel that they don't get hit on enough, they fell that the guys are intimidated by their height....which has led a few of them to do desperate things...so what I'm saying is, go for the tall chicks, you've better odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I know you expect abuse but its good advice for guys on the pull.

To be honest if a woman feels sexy, she is sexy.

Though the manly man side of me loves a timid shy unconfident women to protect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

Right I'm going to say this but before I do I know that I'm going to get absolutely abused over it....but any tall girl I know (and there's a few) feel that they don't get hit on enough, they fell that the guys are intimidated by their height....which has led a few of them to do desperate things...so what I'm saying is, go for the tall chicks, you've better odds.

I would have thought it was the opposite... :confused:

how tall are these girls inanyways? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Only problem with tall girls is that they can't carry any extra weight or they look beefy and manly. That's intimidating! If their slender they look great however and can wear anything apparently.

DubNside wrote:
    I would have thought it was the opposite... :confused:

how tall are these girls inanyways? :D

You're talking almost 6', which isn't too tall.

You're talking almost 6', which isn't too tall.

Again im sure most women would wear heels, so they'd be over the 6ft then...

And im sure they do get approached all the time, unless they are not the best looking?

yep - but the old "geez you're tall" chat up line is getting kinda boring...

galah wrote:

Its like goin up to someone and saying, wow you have a lovely nose! :eek:

Would you really want to speak with someone like that?

DubNside wrote:

And im sure they do get approached all the time, unless they are not the best looking?

No its true I have two tall friends who are about 6ft, both very pretty and constantly complaining about not getting hit on enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I have to say I don't think there is anything sexier than a girl who is nearly as tall as me (6,1) but any taller is really just odd

DubNside wrote:

No they're above average, dunno what the story is tbh!!!

I have two very tall class mates (both over 6' in their heels when out) and they're constantly hit upon when we're out - I've never seen an occasion where one or other of them hasn't ended up with a guy at the end of the night.

• Advertisement

im rather confident in my height but when ive to go clothes shopping...longs hands :confused: Being tall i find it easier to stand up in front of a crowd or say a speech. just i do agree that u dont get approached by guys as often thats why i feel they are intimidated by moi, or a guy will walk past and say my god you tall,your hot too but only if you wernt so tall whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!! also i definately look twice at a tall person rather than a small person..tall guys are generally very sexy,big hands are all in proportion in tall people and feet...although i only a size 7 which aint bad

6'1" and size 7?! How the hell do you stay vertical with such stumpy feet!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I've found a lot of smaller guys hitting on me more so than taller lanky guys. And I'd be over 6 foot in heels. ah I dunno..

GAH! Where are all you tall women hiding?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Not hiding, just bending down tryin to hear what our small friends are saying.... can be so annoying (and sore)!!

6'1" and size 7?! How the hell do you stay vertical with such stumpy feet!?

stumpy feet? actually i have very narrow feet,paris hilton is a size 9 and shes less than 6 ft so thats what i call stumpy feet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

galah wrote:

Ah I hate when guys say that to me.A guy saying that to me has the real potential of ruining my night cos saying your tall isnt at all a complement its just a fact and just makes youu feel ankward and lanky.
    Im so pleased im not the only tall girl with these issues:D Might join that tall peoples group actually

So any Real tall girls i.e over 6ft Without shoes? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'm 5'9" (not that tall but tall for a girl) and I never have anyone say to me that I'm tall, especially not lads? I'm glad though.

• Advertisement

UCD arts block, lecture hall L, from tomorrow till monday, there's several tall chicks in my lectures, glad I could be of some help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

UCD arts block, lecture hall L, from tomorrow till monday, there's several tall chicks in my lectures, glad I could be of some help :D

Im in UCD and im 6foot 1......:) maybe its something in the water out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

im he same size as you juice box..
    exactly a few inches taller than my fella and you can notice it..
    he always says the first time he met me he fell in love with my legs cos they are so long, nice but leads to gettin jeans/pants that fit the length...i will never forget the slagging he got too over me being tall at first. he doesn mind it and always stood up for me.
    We also have the same size shoe which is kinda funny when he goes with my new trainers to training.
    but i remember his mate who is tiny finding it hard to like me cos i was so tall.. he would always avoid converstaions with me in the pub which really hurt me.
    i try to ignore them but some nights it does be a killer...
    lads arent as bad as the girls though... one night i remember being in a toilet cubicle hearing a girl from the club talk about my height calling me a "giant" at first it was ok, but then she turned so nasty in the conversation. i came out, laughed in her face and walked off...

Any guys out there have GF's that are a good bit taller(3inches+)
    Or girls that have BF's that are noticeably shorter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

lank wrote:

The Tall Persons Club GB & Ireland is dedicated to providing information for and promoting the interests of tall people.

Club members can now download a number of recent back issues of the club's magazine "6ft+" in Acrobat/PDF format.

Wow! Cool!

I must be odd, I'm 6'7" and I like short women!

Although I did share a drunken kiss with a girl in a nightclub a few months ago that was about 6'2" I'd say, felt a bit wierd.

I think the first thing I said to her was "Hey short arse"

I do think shorter women are scared off by height, I think when a girl goes to the bottom of your chin is a nice height, but as long as she doesnt look like an oompa loompa with cue tip coloured hair, height doesnt really matter.

I'll second that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

im shoe size 8 and 9 and find it impossible to get shoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Next time you walk by a lampshade with breasts, look up and see if it has eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

Dont care what anyone says, i find tall girls to be such a turn on. Tall girls are hot!! even if they are taller than me (6'1) guess it depends on the person. I would kill for a tall girl ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I'm 6ft 5" and my girlfriend is about 5ft nothing which can be awkward in certain instances (such as hugging, kissing etc standing up!) but to be honest I quite like it in a "I'm the big male protector" kind of way...Mind you if I get poked fun at by any of my mates I still have the "She's in Uni" card :D

That must be pretty arkward OK - how do you not have a permanent crick in your neck?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement