Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursdays Storms

Options
  • 10-05-2006 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

CAPE and LI values will be very high tomorrow across Ireland especially
    inlang. Convergence zones caused by onshore breezes along the east
    coast are likely to cause some severe storms which IMO will be located
    at there severest 30-40 miles inland from the east coast.

Thunder and lightning is likely as cumulus turn into towering cumulonimbus.

Some falls of large hail are more than possibly

Temperatures will soar widely to between 18-22c with the highest temperatures
    expected across the mid-west.

So the clap, bang and perhaps wallop will arrive from around 1600hrs tomorrow
    but you'll notice those clouds bubbling high before that if your lucky
    enough to live in the midlands and center of the country.

Enjoy the hottest day of the year so far and some storms to boot;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Do You see the radar now as showers have just formed inland east about 30miles,might get to see few flashes before they dissipate after todays heat.

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/radar/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I must disconnect my radio antennas before I got to work,just in case !

Seven Worlds will Collide

It's going to be hot too today which will enhance the showers.

It's already 15.5c here at 850am and rising

Heres an auto updating jpeg from my weatherstation-just refresh the page for the latest,it updates every 5 minutes.

summary.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

A few rumbles of thunder over drogheda, co louth 45mins ago. it seems we were the only ones with rain...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Woke up this morning to about 2 hours of thunder with a good few lightning splashes but they were hard to see as it was bright, it stayed dry as it was sunny towards dublin and black towards Navan direction. good start to the summer:)

• Advertisement

I'm in Nurney Co.Kildare today,the locals say there was serious thunder and lightning from about 6 30 to 7 30 am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The showers are developing inland now through Wicklow and parts of Kildare. Unlikely the East coast will get any thunderstorms today unfortunatly. Some nasty storms around this evening for some:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Rumbling thunder here (Laois) for the last two hours...no sign of it abating yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Dark, gloomy and rumbling away here for the past couple of hours, not much flashes of lightening though...:rolleyes:

Can hear rumbles in Kildare as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thunderone

hi,

I'm currently in Laois (central) and there is a nice thunderstorm after occuring and still lingering around.

Started at approx 1350hrs with some rumbling thunder but progressed fairly rapidly. (Still banging as I type actually). The most severe lightning and thnder occured from 1440hrs to 1545hrs. With thunder and lightning occuring very quickly after each other.(couple of secs to 1min)

The most severe lightning which was a mix of Sheet (high altitude) and fork ( some were very spectacular). Through timing, I estimated the thunderstorm to be approx 2-3kms from my location.

Heavy rainshower (some hail)at approx 1615 to 1620hrs.

As i mentioned it's still ongoing although not as frequent ....and we still have power (most important)

Didn't get any photos which is a pity and I'm going back out to see how it's progressing. 1 -2 claps of thunder in last 5mins.

***edit*** a friends building was hit by lightning and power ,computers etc. went out(all ok tho)!just checked the storm seems to be moving NE to S/SW direction. It seems to be over Abbeyleix/Ballinakill direction at the moment heading towards Kilkenny direction.*** edit at 1658hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Bright, beautiful and 99% cloud-free up here in Donegal. Well, actually I'm in Derry cityside at the moment, but hey, it's practically Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hmm, forget what I said about there being no lightening. After having a half decent thunderstorm here and a pretty heavy shower. Still there are rumbles in the distance...more to come??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Thunder rolled in here in Fermanagh about 30 to 40 mins ago. We are now in the middle of a crazy hail shower with hail between 1 and 2 cm belting down. The ground is white outside and the drains are overflowing everywhere I look. I took some photos of the hail if peeps are interested.

Fairy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

Crikey, I marvel at you lot loving thunderstorms - I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of them!! :(

The most embarrassing thing is: I'm not 9 years old, I'm in my 30s! Had no fear of them when I was a kid, don't know where this terror came from?! And it's getting worse and worse and worse.....you wouldn't believe how obsessive I am, and honest, I'm not usually nutty like this. :rolleyes:

So, spent the day staring at http://www.seeviewo.org/seeview/weather/lightning.htm, terrified they'd move towards me - I was lucky, they just missed! But looks like more are heading my way tomorrow (ie west Dublin). :eek:

Can anyone out there reassure me that I'm not about to die?! :cool:

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Heavy thunderstorm from 1400hrs to 1630hrs today in Portlaoise. Severest hit in Laois was Stradbally to Ballinakill along the western ridge of the Castlecomer Pleatau.

Nasty fork lightning too.

Driving home this evening it seems that Durrow was the first place of dry roads.

22.6c was the high here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Another shower is building south of Ballyragget, seems like more for Laois this evening.

If it pushes NW, the thermals from dry warm ground over SW Laois will cause it to explode!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Crikey, I marvel at you lot loving thunderstorms - I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of them!! :(

The most embarrassing thing is: I'm not 9 years old, I'm in my 30s! Had no fear of them when I was a kid, don't know where this terror came from?! And it's getting worse and worse and worse.....you wouldn't believe how obsessive I am, and honest, I'm not usually nutty like this. :rolleyes:

So, spent the day staring at http://www.seeviewo.org/seeview/weather/lightning.htm, terrified they'd move towards me - I was lucky, they just missed! But looks like more are heading my way tomorrow (ie west Dublin). :eek:

Can anyone out there reassure me that I'm not about to die?! :cool:

Thanks!

Pmsl,Sorry mate cant reassure you at all that w dub will not be hit,i am anxious of getting storms here for dublin as we seem to miss everything else bar rain.
    i use to be terrified when i was younger up to 17 yrs old and now im in my 30s too and loving them,i was so terrified that i walked off a pitch during a match when i saw lightning in the distance and ran home. But desperate to see such lightning that im willing to travel to find it. lol

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

That sat link shows an MCS if ever I saw one (multi cell storm ie a conglomeration of several storms)

I'd imagine the storms are past their peak for today and will rumble on into the night as they weaken with the loss of heat energy to sustain them.

More widespread fun tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Danno wrote:
    Heavy thunderstorm from 1400hrs to 1630hrs today in Portlaoise. Severest hit in Laois was Stradbally to Ballinakill along the western ridge of the Castlecomer Pleatau.

Nasty fork lightning too.

Driving home this evening it seems that Durrow was the first place of dry roads.

22.6c was the high here today.

Living in Portlaoise, here, on the Abbeyleix side of the town, and watched earlier as it moved up towards us from a southerly / south-westerly direction. Really started to kick off here about 2.30 p.m. but continued to get closer and closer until, between 3 and 3.45 or so, it was passing right over my house with lightning flashing every few seconds and almost constant thunder. I'm not great at judging distances but it looked like there were several forks touching down in fields nearby. Very heavy rain and a bit of hail here as well, backyard flooded and drains overflowing out on the road in front of the houses here. Passed overhead and moved off in a east-north-easterly direction, towards Stradbally I reckon. Saw some pretty severe lightning forks over that way for a while afterwards so, yeah, I'd say you're right Danno that Stradbally must have got it pretty bad as well.

Was a pretty scary yet spectacular couple of hours here earlier today anyway, that's for sure. :eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Earthman wrote:
    http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

That sat link shows an MCS if ever I saw one (multi cell storm ie a conglomeration of several storms)

I'd imagine the storms are past their peak for today and will rumble on into the night as they weaken with the loss of heat energy to sustain them.

More widespread fun tomorrow.

Hi EM, Eastern coasts have a better chance tomorrow. Temps up to 20 - 21 C and an area of more organised instability moving north should make the Irish sea condusive for T-Storm development.

Cape looks good.
    Rtavn3011.png

More intense precip for Eastern areas tomorrow evening.

Rtavn304.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Dry in Galway all day.
    There were a few rumbles to be heard in the afternoon with some flickering lights.

Edit:
    Hang on I seem to have angered the sky gods, lightning over the south bay, some good loud rumbles now too.
    Seems to be heading drifting north.
    And it just made my PC restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Spent yesterday (Thursday) afternoon on farmland between Edenderry and Trim. Bone dry, hot (shirtsleeves) and pretty idyllic. This must about define the limit of the thunderstorm/ rain area. Growing cbs observed to N and SE around 4pm and very wet roads and standing water encountered Mountmellick -Abbeyleix area 6pm after wat must have been a significant storm. No lightning seen nor thunder heard at any stage.

Advertisement