Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voice. Belly-up?

Options
  • 11-05-2006 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Heard in Langton's tonight that the Voice is going belly-up soon. Any word?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Alright Dave, no I didn't hear that one.. i doubt its true though, they seem to have invested a lot in new offices and the paper itself.

I'd say they will ride out the storm as any new business has to and gradually try and grow.A lot of people seem to be put off by the percieved FF leaning of the paper- Andrew McGuiness writing on it while also a councillor is hardly fair.

You'd still always be inclined to buy the 'People' to get the real news locally I find.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mfitzy wrote:
    You'd still always be inclined to buy the 'People' to get the real news locally I find.

Ah yes the real news, where they hardly dare to say anything bad about Kilkenny City incase it scares away the tourists....remember the grenades found in the river about two-three years back by Johns bridge...remember the really good write up in the people about all the business in the area being evacuated...no?

Imagine that ;)

Cabaal wrote:
    Ah yes the real news, where they hardly dare to say anything bad about Kilkenny City incase it scares away the tourists....remember the grenades found in the river about two-three years back by Johns bridge...remember the really good write up in the people about all the business in the area being evacuated...no?

Imagine that ;)

I'm not for one minute suggesting the KK people hasn't got its own flaws which it sure does!
    I often buy the voice and find it can fail to write on the most pressing issues for KK at the time- in other words it doesnt provide leadership as a paper which it should focus more on.That is my honest opinion on it. Otherwise i'm delighted to finally get a second local paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I heard from someone who works at the People that the Voice is in huge, financial difficulties but that the owner is someone who can afford to cut his losses and run. Not sure how true that is.

As for the relative merits of the two papers... I like the easy read tabloid format of the Voice... I hate the table hogging People but the Voice has pissed me off on a number of occasions with it's slanted front page stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 clickclick

agreed voice is pretty slanted when it comes to news. but at least they're not as bad as kk people for putting in pics of kids sitting in the park so mammy and daddy will by the wretched paper! god that wrecks my head!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

I heard from someone who works at the People that the Voice is in huge, financial difficulties but that the owner is someone who can afford to cut his losses and run. Not sure how true that is.

As for the relative merits of the two papers... I like the easy read tabloid format of the Voice... I hate the table hogging People but the Voice has pissed me off on a number of occasions with it's slanted front page stories.

Up for Anything:
    Isn't that exactly what you'd expect someone who works at the People to say?!
    (Just as you'd expect someone from the Voice to say that they're flying and someone at the Advertiser to say they're going brilliantly too...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm sure its as likely to happen as it is for you say something positive about it.

See there's a new Laois paper called the 'Laois Voice'. Very same layout and design as the KK Voice except it's in blue colours instead of black and amber!
    Must be the same company?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I've been hearing stories about the Voice being on its last legs for ages now. In fact, after the first month or so of its existence! I don't know if there is anything in it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've mixed feelings about the Voice. On the one hand, I think it's trashy and has gone over the top on occasions with its front page stories. Yet, it's unhealthy for the People to have a monopoly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The arrival of the voice and the advertiser have made the people pull up its standards. From talking to people back home (i live away from KK now), the consensus is that buying the people is habit. Buying another paper seems pointless especially when you get the same news agin for free in the weekender and advertiser.

Read the voice when i was home this weekend and it's put together well. Some good stories and opinion pieces although i found the johnny barry section a bit weird.

mick_irl wrote:
    The arrival of the voice and the advertiser have made the people pull up its standards. From talking to people back home (i live away from KK now), the consensus is that buying the people is habit. Buying another paper seems pointless especially when you get the same news agin for free in the weekender and advertiser.

Read the voice when i was home this weekend and it's put together well. Some good stories and opinion pieces although i found the johnny barry section a bit weird.

The Advertiser aint bad considering it's free and everything. Just the editorials do my head in; often very childish writing and missing the point.
    The weekender is pathetic really reinforces 'you get nothing for nothing' adage in my mind whenever I read ( I mean flick through) it!

I know it's a free paper and everything but this article has to top all for stupidity.Here we have the great news that 150 jobs are coming to south KK beside the Waterford port and the editor puts the headline 'Jobs boost for KK or Waterford'?!!Well obviously it's a boost for BOTH counties as well as nearby south Tipp/Wex/Carlow:rolleyes: ! Just because it's not in the centre of the county doesn't mean it won't benefit us all; it may even encourage others to come and set up here. And even if it were located in say Waterford city or Carlow town I'd still reckon it would be a boost for KK being in the same region. Anyway here's the article;
    http://www.kilkennyadvertiser.ie/index.php?aid=3331

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nicetv

but at least they're not as bad as kk people for putting in pics of kids sitting in the park so mammy and daddy will by the wretched paper! god that wrecks my head
    often very childish writing

haha! what would you like them to put in? It's not exactly crime central, and it is a small county, so all three papers use kids shots, cos they're easy and pleasant to look at. Not just if you're a parent. Which you obviously aren't. My young lad's been in the paper a couple of times and it's cool, he gets a thrill and shows all his pals. They're local papers for local people, not national papers or mags. I'd say, if that's what wrecks your head about a local paper, it's pretty sad... no offence. I think people are too hard on all the papers, for god's sake what do ye expect. It's local press, and i think we are lucky, if you go to tipperary you'll see we actually have a few decent papers. Go easy, lads, they're all just doing a job, on probably no money. I say there's room enough for all of them, sure what harm are they doing? Relax! Let's talk about the starving babies!!!:o :p:D;)

Bloody hell, I can't believe this thread is still running! It seems like 50 years ago that Davy wondered if the Voice was on its last legs - and 60 years ago that some genius called Thommo claimed that the Voice was only selling 3,000 copies a week, when insteaad it's probably selling three times that. Amazing how whispers that almost certainly originated in the Kilkenny People can grow legs!

The Laois Voice is indeed a sister paper of the Kilkenny Voice, as Mfitzy noted. The rumour is that the Voice won't stop until they've built up a stable of local newspapers - then they'll be available to be bought over.

On a different note, I see the People ate humble pie on its front page this week after making the mistake of crossing a solicitor. I'd say that cost them a nice few bob...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, it was running up until 3 weeks ago, where it stopped and you dragged it up again.

John

Quite! It's a fair cop, guv!

Hadn't been on the board in months. Must keep a closer eye...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

First edition of another "Voice" paper hits the newstands tomorrow.
    Maybe not about to go belly up just yet?:rolleyes:

Just because the paper is expanding into neighbouring counties doesn't actually mean its any good though. I used to buy it but have more or less given up now as in my opinion it has become a cynical platform for John McGuinness in the run up to the election.Nothing but stupid articles on how he has supposedly secured measly funding for some pedestrian crossing or such like.

It is completely lacking in any critical commentary on the pressing issues facing KK going forward. No mention is ever made of the dire need for a university or the desperate shortcomings of the infrastructure which is putting off investors from setting up here. Even the KK People to their credit highlight these issues, with an editorial that is actually worth reading on occassion.

I never said it was any good, just that it seems to be doing well circulation wise and in a position to expand into Tipperary so most unlikely to go belly up in the near future.
    On as aside, a university for Kilkenny? Are you serious? Waterford IT is likely to secure uni status in the next few years, Carlow IT serves the other half of Kilkenny. A non runner, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I never said it was any good, just that it seems to be doing well circulation wise and in a position to expand into Tipperary so most unlikely to go belly up in the near future.
    On as aside, a university for Kilkenny? Are you serious? Waterford IT is likely to secure uni status in the next few years, Carlow IT serves the other half of Kilkenny. A non runner, in my opinion.

Thats what I meant of course it'll be WIT and fingers crossed it will the university for the whole region. I was just making the point the Voice never highlight critical issues like a uni for the South East region or the desperate shortcomings in KK's infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Teener

What's the verdict now then lads? The Voice now covers Kilkenny, Laois, Tipp and Kildare and is set for further expansion.

Also, what was the bitching about the lack of college? There's St. Keiran's - abranch of NUI Maynooth - it's better than nothing....

And anyway, if you're going to bitch about Kilkenny not having a college then why bitch about it not being called a city when it can't be a city without a third level institute.... and if you really have a problem it's up to the government - not a paper...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

for feck sake can people stop dragging up old threads, can this be locked?

Waterford IT's application for University status looks set to be a very live issue over the next year or so.
    Govt has commissioned a report by an independent assesor. I'd expect a deision before end of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Fantastic, dragging up an old thread and getting that old city/town chestnut in there in one fell swoop.

I'm locking this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement