Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin to Castlebar next Wednesday!

Options
  • 11-05-2006 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I plan to travel to Castlebar next Wednesday after work. I was gonna get the train from Hueston but a mate was saying to me it would be cheaper to drive it.

With not alot of experience driving outside my own estate, let alone driving outside Dublin, I am a little anxious but at the same time excited by the idea.

I work in Swords till about 4pm, so I would be hitting the M50 from there at about 4.15pm.

How long do you reckon the journey would be from there at that time and on a Wednesday??

PS, I now I need to take an exit at roundabout after the toll but other than that I am clueless.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Especially if any of you have done this journey before!

Thanks

Py!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I know most of your intended Journey well. My Girlfriend is from Ballina and I have relations from North Mayo but anyway

Your hitting the motorway M50 at a bad time your best bet would be to take the back road from the airport towards Mulhuddart, Clonee and onto Leixlip and the join the M4 stay on the M/N4 till Longford and then change to the N5 which will bring you directly to Castlebar.

If you dont meet too much traffic on the backroads the worst bit will be crossing the N2 road you can easily make Castlebar in 3.5 to 4 hours.

If your feeling a bit peckish along the way after Mullingar there is a town called Rathowen in it is a pub call Feerick's and the food there is fantastic.

Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

3.5 to 4 hours?? really?? :( Damnnnnnn!

I know there is a bit of tail back getting to the toll bridge on the M50 but I assumed once you exited that it would be grand after that!

I might try the backroads to the N4 as you suggested!

I might even try to get out of work earlier than 4 if I can.

Advertisement