Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Time Buyer

Options
  • 11-05-2006 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm a new driver (at the shockingly old age of 28) and about to buy my first car, a 2002 Audi A2 with lots of extras from a dealer. The car has just passed the NCT and dealer is giving 6 month warranty on engine and gearbox. My question is, since I know nothing about cars myself, should I have the car checked by the AA or equivalent before I hand over my hard earned? Does the NCT check for damage to bodywork etc? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I'm sure you will get loads of replys here to your question but I would be wary of accepting the NCT as the only thing to go on.

In my experience many garages have mates in the business who now work at NCT center's and will pass cars that might otherwise need a few bits and pieces done. But if the car has passed I doubt there is anything major wrong, especially an Audi A2 2002. Also it could have been crashed and repaired and pass the NCT which most people won't have a problem with however some people won't drive cars that were crashed.

Might be worth having a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Yeah, was thinking that myself. The A2 has a good reputation for reliability as far as I can see, but it is also expensive to repair, should there be a problem. I figure that 214 euros is probably worth spending on an independent check. I don't want to be stuck with a big repair bill in six months time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The big worry with the A2 is that the engine bay is as good as hermetically sealed. You can't even pop the bonnet to have a look around, give a look down at the chassis legs for any signs of crash damage, etc... This one's probably worth an AA inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

If you have money to spend on a Audi then you should have a couple of quid for an AA inspection.

A note on the NCT - my car went to the NCT centre with no exhaust, my mechanic bought a new exhaust for it and put it in the booth of the car, it passed the emissions test :eek: the mechanic knew the lads in the NCT centre told them that he would put the exahust on back at his own garage.

NCT is not to be trusted you hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

6 month warranty? Ask for 12 months mate, tell him 12 months or no deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be on to the AA later today...

Advertisement