Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet muppetry

• 11-05-2006 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone tell me if magnet can turn down someones connection speed at the exchange.

I ask because for the first week when I signed up with them I was getting over 8mbps, I signed up for the full 8mb connection. Now I have noticed that I am only getting speeds of 4.5 megs. So can they turn down the speed at the exchange.

I vaguely remember reading here that this happened to someone, but I cannot pin down the exact post.

I am having numerous other problems with this company with their phone their TV as well. I'm royally pissed off with them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

i fuppin hate them.

the tv service is crap - the quality is poor, the menus are slow and clunky, the service is often down - as is the phone - the internet is probably the one thing I think they do alright.

they are a crap service prvovider

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

they're probably learning of IBB :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

They are new you should have expected a few initial problems as for the OP you may have been on the pipe on your own and now you are sharing the pipe?

IE contention ratio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Contention ratio is one thing, but I signed up for an 8mb line, not a 4mb line. If they are going to offer that product then they should be able to provide it.

Anyway that is only one of many problems I have had with them since signing up
    • For several days this week I was unable to call 18XX numbers.
    • When I signed up ordered the extra channels with them Bravo, uktv channels etc. I had them for three days and then they were blocked again. After two weeks of calling them they finally got around to doing it. when they did do it they knocked all the chanels off. Now I have the set top box asking for a User ID and password. The User Id and password they gave me doesnt work, nor does a new user Id or password they subsequently gave me
    • I requested a direct debit mandate form they sent me a credit card form, I am still waiting for them to send me the right form
    • I have yet to receive a bill despite my requests
    • Their customer service is completely useless. They promise to call you back with updates on problems and they then renage on these promises, you end up having to call them back every single time to find out what is being done with various issues you might have.

I have really had it with this crowd, bunch of gangsters the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

[*]Their customer service is completely useless. They promise to call you back with updates on problems and they then renage on these promises, you end up having to call them back every single time to find out what is being done with various issues you might have.

I waited for 5 days to speak to a "level 2" technical support staff member when I was assured that they would get back within 1 working day when I logged my initial call. Turns out that the level 2 guy was actually someone I spoke to previously and was unable to give me the support I required.
    I have really had it with this crowd, bunch of gangsters the lot of them.

Maybe we should start collating complaints against them like a seperate thread is doing with IBB. I agree, the support leaves a lot to hope for. See my recent post with my fair share of problems with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

Can someone tell me if magnet can turn down someones connection speed at the exchange.

From a technical view point - of course they can do it. They can pretty much do anything that they want. But whether they do it intentionally is something completely different.

Although I am only on 2 mb at the moment, IrishIspTest reports my d/l to be 2.63mbps and u/l 300+kbps with a QOS of 99%-during daytime when everybody is at work. Not too bad since I am on 2mbps d/l and 256 u/l. But like clockwork, between 6pm and 11pm, the speeds can drop down to less than 1mpbs d/l and 100-140 kpbs u/l with a QOS varying between 20-40%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

heres what I get, at 20 to 5 in the morning

Speed download 4.216 mb
    upload 0.730 mb
    QoS 89 percent download
    100 percent upload.

There is something really, really wrong with these results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Unfortunatly Contention ratio means they only have to provide you with 8/Contention ratio minimum speed.

But if it was me i would be giving out. Took me 3 months to get IBB to set my connection so i was getting 220-240K instead of the 100~ i was getting. And its been perfect since.

Advertisement