Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie domains names for €29

Options
  • 11-05-2006 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

This isn't spam by the way... I have no affiliation with Switchmedia, honest! Just though you should know that they're selling .ie domains for €29 which is a bit of a bargain. Oddly enough, they didn't yesterday as I was on their site, price-hunting... they must have just implemented it today. Or it's a mistake in their system. Who knows. :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

€34 including VAT. Still not a bad price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Read the fine print carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

blacknight wrote:
    Read the fine print carefully.
    Anything in particular one should watch out for?
    Apart from the transfer fee (number not listed) and no guarantee of notification of expiration of the domain, nothing stood out for me.

Section 10 looks "interesting" while there are a few other bits that are quite odd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Does Section 10 apply to .ie's ? I.e. can you not just transfer via IEDR anyway, or does the losing reseller have the ability to block?

Still, it is the cheapest price in Ireland (maybe not for long!), and do domain-only registrations.

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote:
    Does Section 10 apply to .ie's ? I.e. can you not just transfer via IEDR anyway, or does the losing reseller have the ability to block?

Still, it is the cheapest price in Ireland (maybe not for long!), and do domain-only registrations.

The IEDR changed the policy on transfers recently, so you cannot move a newly registered IE domain until the reseller you bought it from has paid for it. You'd be billed for the transfer of the domain anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Arch-Stanton

daymobrew wrote:
    Anything in particular one should watch out for?
    Apart from the transfer fee (number not listed) and no guarantee of notification of expiration of the domain, nothing stood out for me.

Each hosting package (as far as I can tell) offers "unlimited Bandwidth"

So have a look at point 9.6

Or simply look at:

http://www.switchmedia.ie/hosting/comparison.shtml

Seems a bit contradictory....

and though they claim to have their own data centre, why on earth don't they have their own IP space?

Lots of worrying things in there (like referring to Uplink, DSLAMs and Telephone Exchanges in the same context)... please don't tell me they're running over SDSL (EasyNet do lots of this)!!

However, they still are the cheapest for .IEs. If you run your own name servers, and you trust them to pay IEDR your money when you pay SwitchMedia, then you can just transfer your .IE away from them (without involving them). They don't have to do anything, and have no grounds for charging the €35 fee they mention, because you're just not renewing it as far as they're concerned. It may mean some extra VAT3 work for businesses though!

The reality is that this won't suit the vast majority of people, who would be much better served by a more transparent .IE reseller. I can recommend Blacknight and Let's Host. Last time I checked Lets Host were cheaper, but support from both is excellent.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Selling at cost is nothing new in any business and is usually an attempt to 'buy' market share :) Read the small print carefully as there is nothing stopping them locking your domain until you pay an €X transfer away fee...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

these are the people that junk mail you as soon as you set up with the CRO. I think its a disgrace that a government agency (CRO) actually 'sells' on your details to people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chrisevans

Hi All,

I'm Technical Director for Switch Media, and just thought I'd take this opportunity to clarify a few things if I may...

Blacknight - We do have our own IP Space, check RIPE www.ripe.net and put in one of our IP addresses, 82.109.69.1 for example.
    % Information related to '82.109.69.0 - 82.109.69.255'

inetnum: 82.109.69.0 - 82.109.69.255
    netname: SWITCH
    descr: Web Hosting Provider
    descr: Switch Media Ltd
    descr: 17-19 Fenwick Street, Liverpool L2 7LS
    admin-c: CE321-RIPE
    tech-c: EH92-RIPE
    remarks:
    remarks: Please direct Abuse complaints to abuse@switchmedia.co.uk
    remarks: Complaints directed elsewhere will not be actioned.
    remarks:
    mnt-by: EASYNET-UK-MNT
    source: RIPE # Filtered

cgarvey - We do NOT run over SDSL, to clarify: we have multiple SureStream circuits with EasyNet, which carry the same SLA as leased lines.

Open transparancy is what we offer all customers, any questions can be directed to our friendly technical support team who will happily answer questions via telephone (01 636 0317), or you can email support@switchmedia.ie. We also have a clear emphesis on the quality of our technical support and it having such resources that calls are very rarely queued.

heggie - As for accessing CRO information, this is simply a commerical marketing approach, and thats just your opinion which of course you're absolutely entitled to. This is not the view across the rest of the commercial community, see this article: http://www.spoiltchild.com/pinstripe/article/direct-mail-marketing

We invite any contructive critisism, and I will admit that the unlimited bandwidth offer was something that was withdrawn on our UK operations, simply at the time it was offered, it appeared the whole market was going that way, and we need to compete.

I was a little offended that someone would suggest that an established host such as ourselves may not pay IEDR, just to put any conspiracy theories to rest, we pay for them as the client pays us using and automated system, which I understand only us and one other Irish host has.

I hope this answers any queries, but any other questions, either myself, or any of our team would be happy to assist.

Best regards,

Chris Evans
    Tehcnical Director

chrisevans wrote:
    Blacknight - We do have our own IP Space, check RIPE
    It's PA space, which is what I was referring to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi Chris,

Welcome to boards.ie !! :)

How many surestream connections do you have (since they are a max of 4Mbps) - how do you handle bursty traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

Just be competitive and stop bitching and slinging mud. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i love you angryanderson, your my kind of fish. Can i subscribe to your publications?

chrisevans, on your site it says "Ever thought about joining one of the fastest growing Internet providers in the Country?" , internet provider?

chrisevans wrote:
    cgarvey - We do NOT run over SDSL, to clarify: we have multiple SureStream circuits with EasyNet, which carry the same SLA as leased lines.

Good Lord, I hope not !! It was meant as a tongue in cheek comment (the SDSL part). Still DSLAMs / IP over telephone copper does worry me, but that's neither here or there, and is way off topic.
    chrisevans wrote:
    I was a little offended that someone would suggest that an established host such as ourselves may not pay IEDR
    That's business. You earn trust. I was simply implying that if you trusted SwitchMedia, then I couldn't see any drawback to the offer that beats all other .IE resellers. It was meant as defense rather than casting doubt on your trustworthiness!

Besides, I know of at least 2 "established" hosts (much more established than yourselves) that didn't pay IEDR, which made for some fun! Outside of the normal monthly IEDR invoicing/payment that is. So it's not a given.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

chrisevans, dont get me wrong, i wasnt criticising switchmedia, its the CRO. I dont think state organisations should profit from such activities, but I dont blame any company for taking that opportunity.

I dislike this kind of activity. If I register a business name, that is the express purpose of the transaction; not to also invite junk mail.

adam /actually wearing an 'unsubsribe' tshirt today

When I buy a Sunday newspaper I do so for the express purpose of reading said paper, not to read the junkmail which will inevitably fall out all over the place. But junkmail's a fact of life like taxes and taking a dump. Just throw the junkmail in the recycle bin and do the environment a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

My dad is with switchmedia, and although I thought he paid over the odds for the domain at the time, whenever something went wrong the support was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Ken Shabby wrote:
    I dislike this kind of activity. If I register a business name, that is the express purpose of the transaction; not to also invite junk mail.

adam /actually wearing an 'unsubsribe' tshirt today
    The CRO could include an option during registration regarding unsolicited mail.

The IDMA run a mailing preference service database together with an post, so you can opt out of a lot of Irish unsolicited mail. Anyone got a link to a registration page or is this a paper form job?

@AngryAnderson, I can opt not to buy a newspaper, there's no opt-out if I need business name, and there's no alternative place to register one.

@democrates, they could and they should. As to the MPS, it's a paper job I'm afraid, the IDMA don't make it easy. I started developing a PDF generator a while ago but I didn't get much further than the form, would anyone be interested in this; i.e. is it worth my returning to it?

EDIT: It should be noted that legally, the IDMA don't have to remove your details if you ask for removal as a corporation, as the Data Protection Act only applies to individuals (and, by extension, sole traders). They might, but they don't have to. This is something else that should be corrected imho, although this is more of a European problem. (The Data Protection Act originated from an EC Directive.)

adam

one more personal attack like that and you are banned

Advertisement