Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fastest Irish Speeding Offence??

Options
  • 11-05-2006 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Seemingly, the worlds fastest speeding offence was a guy doing 214mph in a Koenigsegg CC, he was caught in Texas.

Anyone know what the fastest irish speeding offence is??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Not sure about Ireland, but I read this in the Irish Times about the UK. It is a couple of years out of date though.
    Britain's fastest driver to be convicted is thought to be Daniel Nicks, who filmed himself at 175 mph in Buckinghamshire on his 900 cc Honda Fireblade in 2000.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motoring/2003/0625/4061002332MOT25SPEEDCOP.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Was it not 242mph:eek: . Well thats what it said on Top Gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think it was a ferarri being driven by a German on the N11 Newtownmountkennedy bypass not long after it opened. He was caught doing 140mph in a 55mph zone. It took Gardai 8 miles to stop him in Rathnew. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

plonk wrote:
    Was it not 242mph:eek: . Well thats what it said on Top Gear

Sorry....I thought Jeremy said 214mph, I could easily be wrong!!
    I think it was a ferarri being driven by a German on the N11 Newtownmountkennedy bypass not long after it opened. He was caught doing 140mph in a 55mph zone. It took Gardai 8 miles to stop him in Rathnew.

.....Any idea what happened him?? Fine, suspension, etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Scoops

jamieh wrote:
    Sorry....I thought Jeremy said 214mph, I could easily be wrong!!

They killed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bond-007 wrote:
    I think it was a ferarri being driven by a German on the N11 Newtownmountkennedy bypass not long after it opened. He was caught doing 140mph in a 55mph zone. It took Gardai 8 miles to stop him in Rathnew. :eek:

140mph pshaw! ... I'm glad I never got stopped in my madder days ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I got stopped doin 130mph on the m50 at 1:30am, flew buy an undercover vectra.

Flew by them just under the red cow roundabout, they stopped me at castlecknock roundabout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

jamieh wrote:
    He claimed that he was used to driving on autobhans in Germany and was well able to handle 140mph. The Judge disagreed with him and fined him IR£1000 and banned him for 12 months.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

C_Breeze wrote:

Flew by them just under the red cow roundabout, they stopped me at castlecknock roundabout!
    What did you get in terms of fine etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

C_Breeze wrote:

:eek: What happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

It was definitely 242 mph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

ok 242mph hour begs the question, How did they stop him , They hardly pulled along side and said pullover..............and there was the 3 guys in england last year A skyline and and RX7 cant think what the other was ...went something like the police lost them when they(the police) were at 130mph ....image the speed of a Tricked out Skyline and a Twinturbo RX7....bloody scary

was coming back from dun laghoire, flew by them at 130mph, they caught up with me because of the toll bridge, then i noticed thye were follwing me . I took the castleknock exit.

Garda: "what speed where u going?"
    me:"dont know exactly?"
    garda:"must have been about 200kmh!"
    me:"yes about that officer?"
    garda:"why where u driving so fast?"
    me:"was in a hurry to get get home!"
    garda:"thats no reason to put ur life and other peoples lifes in danger"
    me:"I apologise for that , i know it is stupid."
    garda:"can i see ur licnece ?"
    garda:"your lucky we didnt have a record of the speed or else we would be taking ur car and licence"
    garda:"slow down and drive carfeully for gods sake"
    me: "thanks bye"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

Im with every one here when i say u Jammy Jammy B*@tard

EDIT:
    Do you mind me askin what u drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

C_Breeze wrote:

You're a lucky bastid :D

BTW on what basis could they take the car off you? 200km/h on an empty M50 is hardly dangerous driving, or is it?

Nothin special ,however it is powered by a V6!:D

it really isnt dangeorus and i only must have passed like a handfull of cars on the whole stretch so i cant see how i was endagering anybody, i think they knew that aswell.

Unless somebody was to cut infront of you without looking in the mirror or tyres blow , but i had just gotten 4 brand new ZR bridgestones so I decided to give it a blast.

Yeah they were sound guys though, I just hope to be so lucky next time. .. I cant actually drive slow especailly at 1am or2am ......during the day is a different story altogether though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

C_Breeze wrote:
    it really isnt dangerous and i only must have passed like a handfull of cars on the whole stretch so i cant see how i was endagering anybody, i think they knew that aswell.
    !

Of course it was dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yeh its impossible, when i'm working i do be driving at 4am in the morning, its impossible to follow the speed limits when the road is completely empty.

The reason the garda didnt have a speed gun was probably because of the time, its not profitable to check speed when only a few cars go by at that time.

its a big straight motorway so in my opinion its not exactly dangerous driving, but if they had a camera on you, you would have been banned, which is a bit of a joke.

Also is it not your own right to put your own life in danger? :D

draffodx wrote:
    Yeh its impossible, when i'm working i do be driving at 4am in the morning, its impossible to follow the speed limits when the road is completely empty.

The reason the garda didnt have a speed gun was probably because of the time, its not profitable to check speed when only a few cars go by at that time.

its a big straight motorway so in my opinion its not exactly dangerous driving, but if they had a camera on you, you would have been banned, which is a bit of a joke.

Also is it not your own right to put your own life in danger? :D

agreed!

It impossible to actually follow the limit at that time with no cars on the road , especially when u dont even have to push the car hard to go a bit faster.

yeah thats what they said licence will be taken off me car and banned , but they werent waiting behind a hedge , they were just driving merrily along on the "slow" lane in theyre maroon vectra.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bringoutthegimp

I too feel rather jammy. I was caught doing 71mph in a 30mph zone.
    My entire body mass nearly sunk through the ground when I saw the hi-vis jacket step out and hold his hand up.

Before anyone berates my recklessness... dual carriageway, little or no traffic.

But anyway, that was my let off, and it was 5 years ago, after that I rarely go over the limit, and then never more than 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

C_Breeze wrote:
    was coming back from dun laghoire, flew by them at 130mph, they caught up with me because of the toll bridge, then i noticed thye were follwing me . I took the castleknock exit.

Garda: "what speed where u going?"
    me:"dont know exactly?"
    garda:"must have been about 200kmh!"
    me:"yes about that officer?"
    garda:"why where u driving so fast?"
    me:"was in a hurry to get get home!"
    garda:"thats no reason to put ur life and other peoples lifes in danger"
    me:"I apologise for that , i know it is stupid."
    garda:"can i see ur licnece ?"
    garda:"your lucky we didnt have a record of the speed or else we would be taking ur car and licence"
    You lucky b@stard! :eek: :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

C_Breeze wrote:
    Nothin special ,however it is powered by a V6!:D

it really isnt dangeorus and i only must have passed like a handfull of cars on the whole stretch so i cant see how i was endagering anybody, i think they knew that aswell.

Unless somebody was to cut infront of you without looking in the mirror or tyres blow , but i had just gotten 4 brand new ZR bridgestones so I decided to give it a blast.

Yeah they were sound guys though, I just hope to be so lucky next time. .. I cant actually drive slow especailly at 1am or2am ......during the day is a different story altogether though!

I think this is a bit reckless really. so what it was 2 am, that's when you might get a stupid drunk driver drift in front of you, you could get a fox or a badger dart in front of you, and believe me if you hit a badger at 130mph you'd know very little about it because you'd most likely be in the crash barrier. And yes they do wander across the M50 regularly.
    You were very lucky, but unfortunately it seems like you plan to keep up this madness, Personally I hope you get caught and lose your license for this kind of behaviour. Speed limits are a bit restrictive sometimes I agree, but 130 is just too much. (having said that I smell a bit of bs as you haven't told us what you drive and i find it hard to believe a Garda would just brush off speed like that unless he was equally foolish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Just out of curiousity, how do the germans deal with wandering badgers. Its just that I never have read much about badger-autobahn incidents.

Just wondering..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

^^ What he said.

Don't the majority of fatal accidents happen between midnight and 6am?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The bad/reckless attitude shown by some posters in this thread is why we have an endemic problem on Irish Roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

To be honest the biggest danger to anyone driving at those kind of speeds on Irish roads is likely to be other road users. I've regularly driven for extended periods at speeds of 200 km/h, and higher, in Germany (I lived there for years) and felt quite safe, but there's no way on earth I'd ever try it here, not because it's inherently unsafe (which it clearly isn't, otherwise Germany would be top of the accident statistics), but because of all the other 'drivers' on the road who think their rear-view mirror is just for adjusting their hair in. It's dangerous enough here at the legal limit, let alone anything higher.

I didnt say I will keep doing 130mph , i said i will keep driving above the speed limit on the motorway if its 2am and there are non cars on the motorway. .. as it is very hard not to do so, instead of plodding along at exactly 70mph

Its not like i swerve in between cars goin 130mph at 6pm and jump thorugh the toll bridge while lighting a smoke with a can of beer in my hand!!!!

• Advertisement

condemn me and not the drunk drivers , shame on me!!

Advertisement