Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fastest Irish Speeding Offence??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I was in a 94 1.oL Fiesta once goin down the M1 at 95/100mph, felt like the paint was peelin off the car it was goin so fast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

Rovi wrote:
    Land speed records are a wholly different beast to a 'spot' high speed.

AFAIK, land speed record attempts are standardised to something like this:
    the average speed over a measured distance (kilometer?), two runs in opposite directions on the same course, inside a set time frame (one hour?).
    It's something along those lines anyway.

Anyhow, even if someone did mange to get a few points for doing 300mph on the M50, it wouldn't count as an official 'land speed record.'

*goes off to sit in the corner*

Yeah you should have thought that one out better bspoke me old flower:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Seriously why do you guys bother with C_Breeze, he trolls on this forum all the time.
    And its always a case of LOL OMG look at the speed I was doing rNt I C00L!11

Feed the trolls and they keep coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

.....ehh yeah, was i somehow off topic? and i dont recall no 'OMG LOLZ!!!!11 '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i was caught in my dads car doing 140 mph going towards brittas bay 2 years ago.got 2 penalty points, 80 euro fine and 80 euro fine for having a expired road tax.:mad:

i didnot notice the speed sign was reduced from 120 to 50 or 60.i didnot even see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

elexes wrote:
    afaik 153mph was achieved in a bmw m5 a few months back it was going over to another garage for a testdrive . this was on the tullamore - birr road .

the garage dose not know who was driving the car at that time as they had no paperwork for it

and gk said 24x mph was the speed achieved in one of them mad cars in texas not in the uk
    It's easy enough to do on that road, the Fiveally Kilcormac section was used for speed trial when it was rebuilt. You do see speed checks on the road though.

i must ask in capital car's if they know about the x5

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

drdre wrote:
    i didnot notice the speed sign was reduced from 120 to 50 or 60.i didnot even see it.
    [Homer Simpson voice]Doh![/Homer Simpson voice]

Victor wrote:
    [Homer Simpson voice]Doh![/Homer Simpson voice]

:D , but i have learnt from my stupid mistakes of driving.i have had enough fun and its time to calm down.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:
    i was caught in my dads car doing 140 mph going towards brittas bay 2 years ago.got 2 penalty points, 80 euro fine and 80 euro fine for having a expired road tax.:mad:

What kinda car? You got off fine, thought they would be harsher with those speeds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Gateway

colm_mcm wrote:
    If the Garda was doing 110kmph, and the car sped past at nearly twice that speed, would the Garda have a slight suspicion that the person was breaking the law. and surely they could arrest someone on the spot for dangerous driving.

I got caught doing 95 in a 60 when I was younger, and the Garda told me I was lucky I wasn't doing any more as I could've lost my license. (might have been trying to scare me!)

Same thing happened to me about 5 years ago. I got caught doing 93mph on the N3 and he said if I was doing over 100mph that I would have had to go to court. I just got a speeding ticket and drove off and I was on a provisional licence driving on my own! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

There is no sliding scale for speeding fines depending on the speed you were doing.

Same fine for doing 61 in a 60 as doing 160 in a 60.

Howver its at the discretion of the gardai whether you are arrested for any speeding offence if it constitutes dangerous driving.

Alot of factors make up dangerous driving including the condition of the road, condition of vehicle, members of the public present, road factors.....

maidhc wrote:
    What kinda car? You got off fine, thought they would be harsher with those speeds!

yeah she said she can take the car off me as it was a high speed.but she then decided not to or i would have been stranded on a main road near brittas bay:( .
    he has a volvo s80 t6(2.8 turbo).its a quick car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

drdre wrote:

Speed limit was reduced from 120 MPH to 50 or 60 MPH? :confused: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Under what power can a garda seize a vehicle for speeding?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

smashey wrote:
    Gardai caught somebody driving at 140 mph on the N15 between Donegal Town and Ballyshannon about three years ago. I can't find the details at the moment but I will keep trying.
    Jeez, not the best stretch of road to be doing that speed! I wonder was it down the hill towards Roadstone, as that's where the cops mostly hang out.

JustinOval wrote:
    Speed limit was reduced from 120 MPH to 50 or 60 MPH? :confused: :rolleyes:
    yes there was road works going on around that time.they were widening the road.i didnot see the sign for the roadworks.

Bond-007 wrote:
    im not sure but when i got caught the garda said it to me.she said she can take the car from me if she wishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

120 mph = 193 kph

ahh i see your problem dre. has no one told you the speed sighns are now in kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

140 KPH is just under 87 MPH, maybe that's why you didn't go to court.;)

tuxy wrote:
    120 mph = 193 kph

ahh i see your problem dre. has no one told you the speed sighns are now in kph?

yeah i know they are in kph.but this was 2 years ago when they were in miles per hour.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

Bond-007 wrote:
    Don't think they can seize it for speeding, but they could probably seize it if there were other charges, dangerous driving etc.

About speeding on the M1....I used to live in Dundalk a couple of years ago, and would travel down home to the southeast occassionally. Nomatter when I ever drove that road, in either direction, there was ALWAYS someone doing over 100. (I always hung around the 70 - 80mph mark, so I'm comparing how fast they went past to how fast I was goin)

I used to think that there was some sort of time limit for the northern reg cars to get back to the border. Did they have to pay a toll to get into the south? Did they need to get back on a time limit or have to pay another £100? They'd feckin FLY up the road. You haven't been truly worried until two BMW M3's passed you at an estimated 110mph, very bloody close to each other, in broad daylight. Fingers out to whoever they might crash into. And they weren't the only ones either...plenty of guilty southern speeders, but the pyschos on that road were mostly northern reg.

Advertisement