Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ok to use 1000 nic's to be future proof?

Options
  • 11-05-2006 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Is it ok/worth it to use 1000nic's on a network that will be probably be using 10/100 switch
    just wondering if they mind working slower?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Mightn't be worth it if the price difference is too great, but if you're expecting to move office or upgrade your network there's no harm in it - it should work just fine at 100mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

i've used a 1Gb NIC on a 100Mb LAN with no probs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one nice feature is that gigabit is usually autosensing - so you can use ordinary cables as crossover ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It will only run as fast as what it's connected to - nothing wrong with future proofing (beyond the fact that when the future comes it'll be outta date :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

one nice feature is that gigabit is usually autosensing - so you can use ordinary cables as crossover ones.

I have read that Gb cables use all 8 conductors...

The Gb standard defines auto-negotiation of speed between 10, 100 and 1000 Mbit/s so the speed will fall to the maximum supported by both ends - ensuring inter-working with existing installations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Am I the only one who read the title and pictured some lad trying to jam 1000 Ethernet Cards into his motherboard?

And back on topic, my lab at work has got 10M, 100M, and 1G ports all sharing the same routers and switches and they all play nicely together.

Advertisement