Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is wireless that bad/unpreferable?

• 11-05-2006 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

trying to get a 2mb connection in to a building with no phone line at the moment. 20 people will be using this connection but not gaming so i dont care for a ow ping. i have found a good 2mb/2mb product with no up or down limit and better contention ratio and price than eircom can offer.
    its the irish broadband breeze propduct versus the eircom business starter product really and on paper the ibb product is beetter by a mile unless wireless is as bad as people are saying? why?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

LOL

Its IBB not Wireless. You may be lucky though ! Some masts or sectors on some masts are OK but if you are on an oversubscribed IBB sector you are doomed doomed doomed .

Cover your ass and get an alternative provider like Digiweb Metro as well , if you can.

Eircom contention levels are more meaningful than IBB ones , and you normally (nearly always) get better than advertised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I'd say the jury is still out on Metro, even though there haven't been that many complaints of late.

Eircom's contention ratios are pretty meaningless as you tend to get full whack all the time, unless there's a problem in their network. In my experience with IBB, you'll get maybe half the advertised speed fairly consistently, but you can also get a lot less on bad days.

I would stay away from wireless of any description if there's a wired alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes. Beside Clarion IBB base in Limerick the IBB was about 80k on ripwave. Metro at same location is close to 3Mbps contended maximum.

With twenty people you will have to talk to the supplier. ALL products, even un capped have a "fair use" clause. Twenty users will not be deemed "fair use".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Get Eircom Business starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 3.16

Please help me ... all thats available 2 me is digiweb wireless 512kb . is it anygood . i really want broadband!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they will offer Metro in certain of their 'wireless' products areas some time this year. its cheaper and faster.

Advertisement