Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post subject: Problem, computer wont boot: windowows\system32\software\ error

• 11-05-2006 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hey ppl hope someone can help,

have a mates laptop and he get this error windows\system32\software\ error message when he tries to boot it. It keeps failing and this error message shows up.

Now he wants to try keep all his files on his laptop but i cant fix the error. i looked at microsoft solution(How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
    )

The code says to enter this into the recovery console:

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
    md tmp
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

I cant enter the last 5 lines ?? problem is that i get so far with this and the last 5 lines i cant enter and it says it cant find the windows\repair folder can not be found.

I was wondering is it possible to copy a registry onto a portable device from my computer and load it into the laptops registry??

I would just take the harddrive out of the laptop and connect it up to my pc but the laptop is still under warranty and that means that to take out one of the screw i have to lift the sticker which says "Warranty void if removed" so i cant remove it incase i void the warranty.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

apeking wrote:
    I was wondering is it possible to copy a registry onto a portable device from my computer and load it into the laptops registry??
    Short answer: No.

I would just take the harddrive out of the laptop and connect it up to my pc but the laptop is still under warranty and that means that to take out one of the screw i have to lift the sticker which says "Warranty void if removed" so i cant remove it incase i void the warranty.
    Most manufacturers don't mind as long as you don't break anything along the way...

Alternatives:
    - Boot from a 'Live' (Linux)CD and copy the data.
    - Other XP Repair
    I never trust an XP repair TBH, but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

apeking wrote:
    Hey ppl hope someone can help,

have a mates laptop and he get this error windows\system32\software\ error message when he tries to boot it. It keeps failing and this error message shows up.

Now he wants to try keep all his files on his laptop but i cant fix the error. i looked at microsoft solution(How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
    )

The code says to enter this into the recovery console:

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
    md tmp
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

I cant enter the last 5 lines ?? problem is that i get so far with this and the last 5 lines i cant enter and it says it cant find the windows\repair folder can not be found.

Thanks for reading

Make a BartPE disk this has USB, network and a filemanager support

Advertisement