Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW at the movies

Options
  • 11-05-2006 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

WoW Heads To Movies

The hit online game World of Warcraft is heading to the big screen, as
    Warner Brothers-based Legendary Pictures has picked up film rights and
    will develop the project with game publisher Blizzard Entertainment,
    which is owned by Vivendi, Variety reported.

World of Warcraft, a massively multiplayer online role-playing fantasy
    game, has more than 6 million subscribers who not only team up to go
    on quests, but also interact and form deep social relationships, the
    trade paper reported.

The only other video games that rival World of Warcraft are the Grand
    Theft Auto and Halo franchises. Universal and Fox are revising a
    script for Microsoft's Halo movie, with hopes to release it in the
    summer of 2007, though they may have to push back that date since the
    movie doesn't even have a director yet. Universal is owned by NBC
    Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

lets hope its not some D&D type effort..
    a happy bunch of 5 alliance head off to kill the evil horde or some such nonsence!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i'd say it'll more likely be a team effort (alliance human and horde orc) joining up to kill some demon or something like that. can't really have the horde as the bad guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

hummmm every game to movie so far has been ****. I dont think this will be any exception. I just see it being a rip off of the LOTR trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ah yes. I would bet money it'll have some sort of lame nod at Leeroy Jenkins.

I can see this working as a full CG movie, but that won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I'm pretty sure it says on wow-europe.com that its gonna be live action :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

/shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ivan wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it says on wow-europe.com that its gonna be live action :o

Unfortunatly, yup. I just can't picture it being any good, but we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Hopefully dodgy CGI will be kept down to a mimium. I'm reserving judgement until I see whos writing/directing it.

(Please not John Woo, Please not John Woo, Please not John Woo)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This should be hilarioous. I hope it has my favourite warcraft characters,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

well if any game was going to be translated to a decent Movie my hope would be for WoW.

Blizzard really do strive for excellence in what they day and every game they have produced thus far has excelled in it's genre. If they maintain some sort of say over how the movie turns out then i'm hopeful it will be decen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

The Fellowship of Argent Dawn must travel to the fiery Black Rock Mountain and destroy the one epic from whence it came.......

Characters include: Randolf,an old mage whos too hairy for his own good, Lindir,a druken dwarf, and Bits and Bobs,2 gay Gnomes who are alone at the end of their travels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

They should let the guys from Blizz do all of the animation, their cutscenes are amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WTF_L2P_n00b

It'll be a trilogy. heres the PUG Version

Part 1

Set in Ironforge. Length 2 hours.

LF1M Healer for "Enter desired Instance here"

Part 2

Set in UBRS. Lenght 2 hours.

Get to the Beast or somewhere.....some muppet is winding someone in the group up or some muppet ninja's something.

OMG WTF you NINJA $%^£"

No I need the pristine hide of the beast.

OMFG you &^%$

Group splits up.

Part 3

Set in Ironforge. Length 2 hours.

LF1M Healer for "Enter desired Instance here"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

How do they make these things so realistic!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT® AND LEGENDARY PICTURES SIGN SAM RAIMITO DIRECT UPCOMING WARCRAFT® MOVIE

Raimi, acclaimed director of the blockbuster Spider-Man series, will bring the forces of the Horde and the Alliance to life in epic live-action film. Charles Roven's Atlas Entertainment will produce alongside Raimi's Stars Road Entertaiment.

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – July 22, 2009 -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and Legendary Pictures announced today that Sam Raimi has signed on to direct the eagerly-anticipated major motion picture based on Blizzard Entertainment®’s award-winning Warcraft® universe. Raimi has, in the course of his career, clearly demonstrated a genius for developing and adapting existing fictional universes for mainstream audiences while staying true to the spirit of the original content.

More Here

I think this is great news, Rami has made some very enjoyable films and at least there is some movement on the project after a long silence from Blizz.

(Also, this post is some necro-bump :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

While I hate the Spiderman movies, I am glad that a "big name" has been assigned to this. The producer being Charles Roven who also produced The Dark Knight is great to hear also.

Looking forward to this, if it's good thats nice, if it is **** Blizzard will cancel it before it gets released! Win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I can't wait to see Bruce Campbell as Leeroy Jenkins.

evil-dead-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Good news, I can't see this failing now. Considering they've got some big names in tow now and the financial clout Blizz can throw behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Well I checked out Sam Raimi's upcoming projects on IMDB and there's not a peep about World of Warcraft, though one of the 21 movies he's got in development is called "Untitled Sam Raimi Project", make of it what you will.

I'm not so sure he'd be a great choice, he's a good director when he's working on his own projects, but he doesn't have much integrity when it comes to working on big studio pieces. He let's the studio tell him what to do, and so ends up with movies he's not proud of, like Spiderman 3.

You can bet there'll be a lot of interference from the studio on a project like WoW.
    It'll be interesting to see who the draft in to do the screenplay when things get a bit further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Considering the amount of back story to this game, there's a good chance it would be well worth watching.

Even the fan made films are well worth watching. The animated ones.

Wow is effectively like the silmarillion (lotr), so they could either start from the beginning, or start with a story in the middle, and backtrack or do flashbacks or a progression on main characters or stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Good point, it could be really really like the Silmarillion, that would be bloody epic!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I have to say the books I've always found to be excellent like - so for sure the source material is there - there's a full vivid world and some pretty nice races overall it has the ingredients - we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

If Blizzard are heavily involved in this, there may be a player competition, or something open to blizzcon attenders where they could get in as extras. Y'never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It is one of those films that on paper cannot fail.

Story is there, characters of epic proportions, the settings, the factions, the armies, the scale.

all they have to do, is get good actors, and scenes and good staff.

Though i said the same for alien vs predator and the likes :/

lotr with more blood, proper characters and your laughing.

Illidan versus Arthas on screen would be on par with obi wan against anakin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's a warcraft film, not a world of warcraft film, which is differant O.o

Thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I can't wait to see Bruce Campbell as Leeroy Jenkins.
    Bollox to that. Let Carl Weathers be Leeroy Jenkins!

No wait, scratch that. Carl Weathers only plays Carl Weathers. Maybe he could be a weapon merchant or something?

Thank christ. A movie about killing wolves for 8 tough wolf meat would be a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

follow the story or the lore of warcraft. its fairly simple the main story is there

should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

elexes wrote: »
    follow the story or the lore of warcraft. its fairly simple the main story is there

should be good

They can't exactly follow the whole lore of Warcraft, would be the longest movie ever.

Will be interesting to see what exactly they will include.

• Advertisement

WellyJ wrote: »
    They can't exactly follow the whole lore of Warcraft, would be the longest movie ever.

Will be interesting to see what exactly they will include.

More than one movie?

Advertisement