Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW at the movies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

WellyJ wrote: »
    They can't exactly follow the whole lore of Warcraft, would be the longest movie ever.

Will be interesting to see what exactly they will include.

3 movies . use the same type of guys that done lotr the orcs in that looked good the ents were realistic the balrog ( sp ) looked kick ass. overall well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

It'll be 5 euro for the 1st 60 mins then 3 euro each for the 30 mins expansions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have a feeling this will fail so hard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

elexes wrote: »
    3 movies . use the same type of guys that done lotr the orcs in that looked good the ents were realistic the balrog ( sp ) looked kick ass. overall well done

The Weta workshop did those effects. They're top class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I'd think 3 films will be the way they'll go. Start at Chapter IV: Alliance And Horde bringing in all the fans that don't really know that much about the lore (including me), then follow up with chapter V if it goes well. Chapter VI, if they can keep it going, then back to Chapters I-III (why am I still using roman numerals?) if they can milk it like lucas.

They might just do chapters 1-3 as an animated 'keep you interested' piece in between films.

Really, there's so many ways this could go. Sticking with main lore characters is a good way to keep current fans familiar, without needing to have the 5 man group idea for people to think "That's like my toon". Keep it the way it is in WoW (and yes this is a warcraft film, world of warcraft is just an expansion of the warcraft universe, not a seperate entity as such), with you seeing the main characters in major cities, or having the long quest chain story lines being shown in the film.

The other way they could do it would be to please the majority of wow fans (who usually favour horde), and do a "Warcraft.....Thrall's story" kind of film.

I'd say there'll be a few writers throwing in scripts for this and putting in their own ideas. Blizzard manage to keep the trailers we get each expansion epic enough, so I don't think there'll be too much of a problem with them causing a bad film. It'll be at least watchable. It might even be epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I think it will be Arthas. He is one story that you can follow from Golden child to Evil screwed up undead psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Jumpy wrote: »
    I think it will be Arthas. He is one story that you can follow from Golden child to Evil screwed up undead psycho.

star wars but with orks

Arthas :thrall i raped your mum!!!

Arthas :i am your father !!!

Thrall : noes QQ !!! whers a shammy when you need it heal me .

the real question tho . will ozzy be the undead warlock.
    will vin get a part as a gnome mage ( since he plays one )
    who would u like to play a rogue male or female ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

The story line is unknown as of yet, but timeline wise its going to be set in between The Frozen Throne (i.e. the turning of Arthas) and the opening of World of Warcraft, which I think is about 4 years. So its probably going to be a new story, with unknowns as the main characters, but many of the more famous WoW personages are likely to feature in some way - Thrall, Jana etc. Chris Metzen is going to be heavily involved in the wrtiting, which is good news according to all the fanbois on the forums.

Obviously this whole project could be a massie failure, but with Blizzard retaining so much control of it I'm quite optimistic that it won't be.

Edit: Oh yeah, one other thing, apparently it's going to be from an alliance perspective - i.e the main chars are likely to be human, night-elf or dwarves. Sadly, I don't think gnomes are going to play a huge part in this.

Looks like you're right, Chris Metzen is writing, I don't know if he's doing story, screenplay or both.
    It'd probably be better to get in a collaborator on screenplay as he doesn't seem to have any experience writing for movies.
    Anyhow, according to IMDB it's scheduled for release in 2011, which seems realistic enough.
    Found these tidbits on WoWWiki:

"The film was originally set in the era of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. This was scrapped, however, as there were notions that it would be too similar to Lord of the Rings and that Warcraft had reached its current level of popularity through its MMORPG, rather than the previous RTS games.[1]
    As such, the movie is set one year before World of Warcraft and will primarily told from the Alliance's POV, though Metzen says his heart lies with the Horde. Characters such as Cairne Bloodhoof, Thrall, Sylvanas Windrunner, and Bolvar Fordragon are likely to make appearances. Arthas is unlikely to appear.[1] The main character is set to be a new hero described as a "kick-ass Human". [2] Chris Metzen has stated that the new "kick-ass Human" character in the movie is not same one as in the comic (now known to be Varian Wrynn).[3] Interestingly enough, the film is described as the "first film", raising obvious possibilities as to future installments."

Also, the most encouraging thing that shows they have some integrity and arent simply trying to throw a film together which will get the fans in and make a few quid:
    Uwe Boll attempted to apply for the job of director, from which Blizzard CEO Paul Sams replied "We will not sell the movie rights, not to you…especially not to you."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Fail posts are fail.

<
    Report button, use it please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Who is Uwe Boll?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have to say the lore and scope it can be a fantastic epic piece.

I have read alot of books and animated films and original comics and the likes and the scope is just huge, much like star wars, they could make six films and still have enough fresh content for twelve more.

The essential part will be capturing the scale and scope and "mood" of the Warcraft universe. It will obviously be related to lord of the rings, being that they will be classed as similar films, however for me Warcraft has so much more to offer.

I think its a pity they are focusing it shortly before WoW, and although there has been interesting story lines that have happened throughout WoW ( if you bothered reading quests) the really interesting ones happened before WoW.

Illidans story is one of the more interesting ones, and his a character that would be bad ass on screen. His story line through WoW was a bit limp, and obviously weaved so the player could kill him, although that just wouldnt happen ;)

Illidan obviously spent over a millenium in captivity so his original story would be pretty far back, but even his escape and pursuit by the nightelves, his trek to northrend, and his eventual climactic battle with Arthas would be pretty interesting.

Arthas himself obviously has an interesting story, from his growth as pretty much the "chosen one" who would bring Humans to the forefront of the world, and his eventual downfall and intagration with frostmourne to become the lich king.

Each race in WoW that you choose for your character, has lore history of over a millenium, with a huge range of characters and immersive story ines. Its a pity though because the weakest ones have been the ones included in the WoW universe, because they have been tailored for players to finish big characters. Ultimately I can only assume we will kill Arthas, which would be **** ( hated how we could kill illidan)

I think the only fail surroudning this is the time line they are going for

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Who is Uwe Boll?

lol?

Is he connected to this?

He is a bloke that purchases movie rights to games, because they are so cheap. Because most games have an established fan base, he makes the movies mostly on location in Germany, where he received huge tax relief and benefits, and basically swindled the system, his output usually being a piss poor attempt at a film, but he makes huge profits.

This is in relation to the benefits directors and movie makers get by shooting in Germany and using german staff and the likes. The films are always pants, and when you see Uwe Boll, you know its going to be a disaster.

However he is laughing himself to death as one of the wealthiest men in hollywood, and I believe the laws are being changed in Germany because of himself, it was pretty ingenius in fairness.

However if he is attached to this, I'll stop wondering about a warcraft movie.

However I believe a number of game designers are now aware of his scams and will not sell him game rights.

He originally failed attaining rights to Halo, and was recently snubbed for Gears of War, Fable and overlord if I'm not mistaken...hes basicaly a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

TheDoc wrote: »
    lol?

Is he connected to this?

He is a bloke that purchases movie rights to games, because they are so cheap. Because most games have an established fan base, he makes the movies mostly on location in Germany, where he received huge tax relief and benefits, and basically swindled the system, his output usually being a piss poor attempt at a film, but he makes huge profits.

This is in relation to the benefits directors and movie makers get by shooting in Germany and using german staff and the likes. The films are always pants, and when you see Uwe Boll, you know its going to be a disaster.

However he is laughing himself to death as one of the wealthiest men in hollywood, and I believe the laws are being changed in Germany because of himself, it was pretty ingenius in fairness.

However if he is attached to this, I'll stop wondering about a warcraft movie.

However I believe a number of game designers are now aware of his scams and will not sell him game rights.

He originally failed attaining rights to Halo, and was recently snubbed for Gears of War, Fable and overlord if I'm not mistaken...hes basicaly a ****.

The only attachment that Uwe Boll has to this is the following:

It's been known for some time that Blizzard has a movie adaptation of their popular World of Warcraft MMO in the works. The movie panel at last year's BlizzCon event was chock full of details, and it really seemed like they were on track. So you have to wonder at what point it got into Uwe Boll's head to approach the company about the possibility of directing such a film. Boll talks about his contact with the folks at Blizzard in a new interview with the MTV Movies blog.

As you might imagine, Blizzard's response was in the negative. If you can believe Boll, their response was, "We will not sell the movie rights, not to you...especially not to you." The famed schlock director went on, "Because it's such a big online game success, maybe a bad movie would destroy that ongoing income, what the company has with it."

smithcity wrote: »
    Uwe Boll attempted to apply for the job of director, from which Blizzard CEO Paul Sams replied "We will not sell the movie rights, not to you…especially not to you."

That was his only connection to the project. I only mentioned it because it shows that the producers are serious about making a decent film, rather than milking the warcraft cash cow.

Epic online game World of Warcraft is to be adapted for the big screen.
    Spider-Man director Sam Raimi has signed on to helm the epic fantasy adventure, which is based on the hugely popular virtual world franchise.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The game, which tells the story of an epic conflict between the Horde and the Alliance, launched in 1994. Its recent expansion pack - Wrath of the Lich King - sold nearly three million copies in its first week of release.
    The series allows gamers to create their own persona, or avatar to be more precise, which you can then roam through the huge universe at your leisure.
    "At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action packed story," said Raimi.
    Warner Bros president Jeff Robinov added, "Warcraft is emblematic of the kind of branded, event films for which our studio is best known."
    Raimi will finish work on Spider-Man 4, which starts production early next year, before directing World of Warcraft.

link from:
    http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/22072009/5/world-warcraft-movie-0.html

Eh, whats new about that Smith?

Nothing there has not already been mentioned and confirmed elsewhere in this thread.

I'm so sorry Welly. Thank you for your help. I'll contain myself, mind if I email you my posts in future for your personal approval before I stick them on here?
    Don't wanna go wasting anybody elses time.

Just thought that since the article gave an idea of the time frame in which the film might be expected to start production, somebody might be interested. I'll check in with you first next time, just to be sure.

I'm so sorry Welly. Thank you for your help. I'll contain myself, mind if I email you my posts in future for your personal approval before I stick them on here?

Just thought that since the article gave an idea of the time frame in which the film might be expected to start production, somebody might be interested. I'll check in with you first next time, just to be sure.

16bhbtj.jpg

touché

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Reign in the sarcasm a bit please.

Advertisement