Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting to Dublin on time

Options
  • 11-05-2006 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I have to be in the Maher Hospital for 8.15am on Monday

Am coming from South Monaghan - what time should I leave at.

I dont mind being early at all.

I do mind being stuck in traffic in one spot for an hour or so.

Any free parking around the hospital, I have used the hospital car park once before years ago.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Be in Dublin for 7am and you should miss the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

kluivert wrote:
    I have to be in the Maher Hospital for 8.15am on Monday

Am coming from South Monaghan - what time should I leave at.

I dont mind being early at all.

I do mind being stuck in traffic in one spot for an hour or so.

Any free parking around the hospital, I have used the hospital car park once before years ago.

do you mean The Mater? sorry don't mean to be pedantic, just haven't heard of the Maher, could exist for all I know? :)
    Anyway to get to the Mater for 8.15, as you're coming from South Monaghan I presume you'll link up with the M1 at some stage?
    I'm on this road most mornings from the southern most Balbriggan exit and on average it I get on it after 6.30am it will start backing up by the exit to the M50, getting progressively worse townwards.
    If you hit the M50 offshoot by this time though you should be grand and avoid most of the traffic. I'd also suggest taking this exit, go along the M50 until the Ballymun exit and get into town from there, I generally find there's less traffic this way.
    But as I don't go into town via the port tunnel exit at that hour every morning someone please correct me if the OP would be better going that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

If you r taking the M1 - once you hit the toll bridge at M1 by 6.30 you should hit the port tunnel about 7.10. Lately there has been tailbacks as it has been reduced to one lane just after exit for M50 but once you pass that and enter the tunnel its fine (i do this journey daily). The que normally lasts about 10/15mins and then its straight into dorset street. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lads, wouldn't the N2 or N3 be more direct from South Monaghan?

[edit] add N3

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

esel wrote:
    Lads, wouldn't the N2 be more direct from South Monaghan?

It is but if you cut across and use the M1 its actually much faster due to the better road.In saying that I have only done this route off peek at weekends etc so I have no idea what it would be like in rush hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

I had to be in Tallaght on a Friday morning a couple of weeks ago at. I arrived at about 8.20, after leaving mid Monaghan at about 6.45. I took the N2 as far as the M50, and there was no sign of traffic at all. It was Easter week, so a lot of construction workers wouldn't have been on the road. If using the N2, I'd say give yourself about an 1hr and 45 mins to 2 hrs. I would also think this would be the easiest and least busy route into the Mater.

I hadn't been on this road since all roadworks around Ashbourne started, and there has been some change. Be prepared for some of the worst signpostings you'll ever come across. You'll be on most roundabouts before you know what exit to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thanks guys for the replies.

I use to drive to Dublin last year five times a week from south Monaghan for eve classes, would leave work at four be in Dublin City for five and spend the next hour in traffic, use to drive me nuts.

Ill be heading down the M1.

Is it easier to carry on to the port tunnel or get onto the M50 and take the Ballymun exit go down through Ballymun and come out at Phibsboro take and right in Phibsboro which takes you out at the hospital.

By the way I did mean Mater Hospital sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be careful with the parking. I get the impression the hospital car park is grossly oversubscribed and on-street parking (pay & display parking meters) has a limit of 3 hours.

If parking on-street, its cheaper to park on the streets north of North Circular Road (but not North Circular Road itself).

http://www.dublincity.ie/living_in_the_city/getting_around/by_car/parking/park_legally_in_dublin_city.asp

Advertisement