Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Boiler query

Options
  • 11-05-2006 2:05pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    am about to lay pipes under floor for a new extention on a 3 bed.
    Hopefully ye can answer some questions for me.

Do all internal oil boilers have 1" inlet/outlet connections ?

If I run copper for 1 meter, can I reduce to 3/4" qualpex barrier pipe for rest of floor ?
    Can I get 1" to 3/4" 90deg bends - reduce and bend at the same time ?

If I want to connect a Waterford Stanley stove - running on oil - what size of insulated copper do I need to run to it -same as tank to boiler -10 or 15mm insulater copper ??

Is there a wall mounter oil boiler ?? any good makes app 100k btu - and is there a problem with oil pressure from the external oil tank with a wall mounted boiler.

Can I add 3/4" qualpex out to the new tiles (leave underneath) to possibly add solar panels over the next year or two - is there anyhting else I need to consider to do to the joists on the new tiled roof ?

thx folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

karltimber wrote:
    Hi,
    am about to lay pipes under floor for a new extention on a 3 bed.
    Hopefully ye can answer some questions for me.

Do all internal oil boilers have 1" inlet/outlet connections ?

If I run copper for 1 meter, can I reduce to 3/4" qualpex barrier pipe for rest of floor ?
    Can I get 1" to 3/4" 90deg bends - reduce and bend at the same time ?

If I want to connect a Waterford Stanley stove - running on oil - what size of insulated copper do I need to run to it -same as tank to boiler -10 or 15mm insulater copper ??

Is there a wall mounter oil boiler ?? any good makes app 100k btu - and is there a problem with oil pressure from the external oil tank with a wall mounted boiler.

Can I add 3/4" qualpex out to the new tiles (leave underneath) to possibly add solar panels over the next year or two - is there anyhting else I need to consider to do to the joists on the new tiled roof ?

thx folks
    I am not good on pipework, but I think that all domestic boiler connections are 1".

Using the original oil pipe size is OK for the cooker.

There are wall mounted boilers available, I have seen one. I'll try to think of a name. Found the exact one - it is a Trianco Eurostar http://www.trianco.co.uk/wallmint.cfm That one will do most size houses and bungalows.

It is easier if the oil tank is higher than the boiler, but a 2 pipe system can be used to draw the oil from a tank which is lower than the boiler.
    Jim

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

JamesM wrote:
    It is easier if the oil tank is higher than the boiler, but a 2 pipe system can be used to draw the oil from a tank which is lower than the boiler.
    Jim

Thx Jim,

can you explain more about a two pipe system,

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

karltimber wrote:
    Thx Jim,

can you explain more about a two pipe system,

thx
    Very simple, there is the normal pipe coming from the tank to the burner. All burner oil pumps have an outlet (as well as an inlet) which is normally blocked off. In a 2 pipe system (only needed when the oil tank is lower than the burner) there is a pipe connected to this outlet and is fed back into the top of the oil tank. It is often a source of water leaks into the tank because it is awkward to fit the pipe into the top of the tank and seal it properly.
    (There is also a small plug which blocks off a bypass in the oil pump when using a 2 pipe system - a fitter should know how to do this)
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Karl,

Most boilers have 1" connections but there are some with a 3/4" flow and return.

It is possible to reduce the boiler connections to 3/4", I think you may need more than 1 metre of copper direct from the boiler as qualpex can expand if too close to the boiler.

I wouldn't recommend reducing the size of the pipe at an elbow, it is simple to do but may cause air locks.

Some Waterford Stanley oil ranges were converted from solid fuel to oil in either case I think the connections are 1", I can find out as I have both a range and and a stove in my stores in Dublin.

Advertisement