Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to create an email form

Options
  • 11-05-2006 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I am trying to create an email form on a website that lets you enter your details and you click submit and the email is sent off without the users default email package being opened. does anyone have a sample I can reverse engineer to see how it is don? our server supports php if there needs to be some extra files I need to download.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You won't need additional files on your server. You can use the mail() function.
    At the most basic level you need a form that submits the data to a php script which calls the mail() function. The php script can do both, generate the form and process submission.

Read the "User Contributed Notes" at the bottom as there is some useful real-world code there. You have to be very careful to catch and block attempts to use your form as a spam source.
    There was a thread here a few months ago with a link to examples on how to protect your script.

That solutions page suggests using Zend_Mail() function. This would require a download to your server.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Tengu wrote:
    I am trying to create an email form on a website that lets you enter your details and you click submit and the email is sent off.........................

Cheers

I use phpformgen .

http://phpformgen.sourceforge.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tengu

excellent stuff, I'll be checking them out tonight, thanks a mill.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Alisha

I would suggest a pre-made script like nl-phpmail.
    It's easy to set up and doesn't requirea anything really. Just that your server supports php4, and for the latest version which has also a validation form with a confirmation image the approrpiate php extentions, which main servers have anyway.
    you can download it and have a sample of how it works here http://codegrrl.com/!/scripts/view/nlphpmail/

and the best thing is that it's good and it's free :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd be worried about that phpformgen thing. No releases since September 2004, no updates to the site or the SF project since October 2005. Software needs updates, particularly software that creates an entrypoint to the server and people's mailboxes.

I'm not saying there's anything actually wrong with it, just that I wouldn't use it, or any project as dead as that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement