Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unplugging SKY+ telephone connection

• 11-05-2006 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I had SKY+ installed in January. Single Box (not multi-room). Delighted with it. I have now moved that box into another room. Had no problems getting 2 new co-ax connections to that new room (we were renovating and the builder drilled another hole for us).

I overlooked getting the telephone wire sent to the new location.

What are the consequences of leaving the telephone unplugged besides the start up message and probably a letter from SKY?

What functionality might I loose?

Or should I go to the hassle of getting a longer telephone wire there, but believe me when I say that will not be easy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

If it's not multiroom then Sky won't be too bothered, I unplugged mine in the first year and heard nothing.

Without the phone you can't order movies/go online etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

got sky+ 3 months ago, have never connected it to a phone line, isn't even a phone line in the house..and not a word from sky, don't worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

mossym wrote:
    got sky+ 3 months ago, have never connected it to a phone line, isn't even a phone line in the house..and not a word from sky, don't worry about it

Same here. Not a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

So if I want to order a movie I can roll out the extra long phone line thing on an as-needed basis. Grand so.

Thanks for the replies.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

DaDa wrote:
    So if I want to order a movie I can roll out the extra long phone line thing on an as-needed basis. Grand so.

Thanks for the replies.
    Sort of. WHen you book a movie, the box doesn't immediately phone Sky. It just checks to make sure the line is connected first.

Then once a month, usually during the night, the box will phone back to base with details of all PPV events you viewed so you can be billed accordingly.

So, after a while, if the box never gets to dial back to base, your viewing card will stop you viewing PPV events. I think the limit is something like €50

• Advertisement
Advertisement