Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eL players for the national squad

• 11-05-2006 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Right I dont want to turn into another eL vs the rest of the world nonsense.

What players, currently playing in the eL should be at least considered for full international recognition.

To be brutally honest, I think there are currently no more than a handful. But certainly worth a go, are

Joe Gamble
    George O Callaghan
    Stephen Bradley
    Jason Gavin (humble pie needed here)
    Stuey Byrne.

Now Im not suggesting they all be called up together, but all are definately deserving, especially Gamble.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think Byrne is a bit too old now but the rest are worth a shot considering some of the players that still get a call up. Bradley was very highly rated as a youngster and at 21 I think he's the most likely to have an international career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

If we didn't already have Finnan I'd say Owen Heary.

On current form:

Gary O'Neill
    Joe Gamble
    Ollie Cahill
    O'Callaghan (pass that pie Gimmick)

Totally OT, but Mark McChrystal has been called up to the Northern Ireland u-21's and is playing for the ROI in a semi-pro tournament... bit strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Without picking from Shels, so I can't be too biased! ;)

Joe Gamble
    George (Gulp) O'Callaghan
    Jason Gavin

All definately have the ability IMO. Players like Sean Dillon (ok, so one! :D), Stephen Bradley, Quigley, and Dicker would make the grade in years to come I think. Actually, Mark Farren could well be grouped in that category too. Incredibly natural goalscorer.

There's a few more I'm sure, but my brain is fried in work! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

its a pity that mccourt has a NI cap. but would he put duff out of the squad my arse he would.

Jason Gavin and Georgie. after that i think they would struggle to find players that would realisticly put out the players currently in the squad

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Based on the squad that we currently have I would only want to see O' Callaghan and Gamble in there because centre midfield is a problem area. I dont think any of the others are good enough. I would have the likes of McShane and McCarthy in there ahead of Gavin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Very few IMO would be good enough.

George O'Callaghan.
    Jason Byrne
    maybe Joe Gamble.

Thats all I can see tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Well, as someone else has said here, firstyou have to look at the real areas of weakness in the current Irish squad and then look for players in the eL who have the quality to play in those positions. It's no good just picking the best players in the eL if the current Irish squad is strong in their positions, cos they won't get a game anyway.

Weak for Ireland is definitely central midfield, hence the proliferation of endorsements for O'Callaghan (which I agree with btw), and to a lesser extent upfront. Would be nice to have 4 strikers competing, at the mo we have 3 imho (Keane, Morrison, Elliot - have I missed anyone?). So yeah, Jayo Byrne. Regardless of age, he's the best striker in the league and would actually provide a decent option for Staunton.

EDIT: Just remembered Kevin Doyle's the 4th. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Hes been off form recently but if he finds it again Kevin Hunt is good enough

bohsman wrote:
    Hes been off form recently but if he finds it again Kevin Hunt is good enough
    He's English surely??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He's English surely??
    If you look at the OP's post, Gimmick is very careful not to say "Ireland" or "Irish" anywhere. He is asking what players in the eL deserve "international recognition", so could be for anyone I spose...

On that note, Mark Rutherford should have been capped for England's B team back in the mid-90s!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Sort of OT but is Eric Lavine an international? And is Avery John going to the World Cup?

Lavine is/was a Barbados international and yes Avery John is going with T&T.

Cheers for that, back on topic, i belive that O'Callaghan would be worth a shot like people have said because Ireland are currently very weak there, and also Joe Gamble as well. Anytime i have seen either Gary divker or Stephen Bradley play i have benn very impressed with both of them. They boh have lots of talent and maybe would of been worth a look at in the upcoming training camp. Also young Darren Quigley is a top class keeper and there havebeen rumours of English scouts looking at him. He could well be one to challenge Shay in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sean O Connor

:D

No bias seriously talented player.

kdjac

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He's English surely??

Playing for Bohs, living in Ireland since 99, has a baby here, qualifies for citizenship. He is more Irish than jokers like Morrison or Cascarino will ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I was reading Cascarino in the Racing post last saturday and he referred to England as "we", as in "We have less of a chance without Rooney":rolleyes:

I was reading Cascarino in the Racing post last saturday and he referred to England as "we", as in "We have less of a chance without Rooney":rolleyes:
    Well he was never anything but English in fairness! Bit French maybe...

I'm surprised he used the word "we" at all, all his articles seem focussed around the words "Me", "My" and "I".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

bohsman wrote:
    Playing for Bohs, living in Ireland since 99, has a baby here, qualifies for citizenship. He is more Irish than jokers like Morrison or Cascarino will ever be.

Whatever about that, Hunt said himself yearsago that he is English, not Irish, and doesn't want to play for Ireland. Which is perfectly fair enough.

gimmick wrote:
    Whatever about that, Hunt said himself yearsago that he is English, not Irish, and doesn't want to play for Ireland. Which is perfectly fair enough.

He changed his mind a year or two later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

bohsman wrote:
    He changed his mind a year or two later.

Its irrelevant really because he is not good enough.

• Advertisement

It looks like Joe Gamble has been called up:
    http://corkcityfc.ie/forums/index.php?showtopic=10311

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Gamble called into Senior International squad

Republic of Ireland senior international manger, Stephen Staunton has called up Cork City’s Joe Gamble into his squad for the training camp in Portugal and the friendly international against Chile on May 24th. Gamble will join up with the squad on Sunday May 21st following Cork City’s eircom League game against Derry City next Saturday night in the Brandywell. Staunton made this addition following the unavailability of Liam Miller and Jonathan Douglas who will feature in the Championship play off final while Stephen Elliott has been withdrawn through injury.

Fair play to Gamble, he deserves it imo with the two Leeds lads being out.

Good luck to him! :D

Great for the EL, might even get a run too. Next up Jason Gavin and Georgie O'C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd play them just so they might get bought up for a premiership club if they are good enough.

wheres the benifit to stan if they are EL or EPL?

blu_sonic wrote:

To the player money and ambition, to who else does it matter?

kdjac

but he said that wouldbe his reason for playing them, how does that beifit him??? it makes no odds to him where they pay once they play well. Obviously different for the player

• Advertisement

Shaun Wright Phillips syndrome, get them sitting on the bench in the premiership instead of playing first team football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

cant understand why George O' Callaghan isnt in the Irish squad he is by far the outstanding player in the league and is better then most in the Irish team too. What about Wes Hoolihan?

Once Weso ends up in Hearts or Hibs (it will happen this summer, mark my words!) there'll be people screaming for him to be in the team.

Balmed Out wrote:
    cant understand why George O' Callaghan isnt in the Irish squad he is by far the outstanding player in the league and is better then most in the Irish team too. What about Wes Hoolihan?
    Hoolahan is fat and crap. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Be interesting to see if Stan takes a gamble on Gamble (I'll get me coat!)

Hopefully he gives him a chance to play a decent amount of the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Roddy Collins, doesnt seem to think Jasons Byrnes inclusion is a great idea.

Bitter bitter man.

• Advertisement

I HATE Collins, HATE him. he is a scurge blighted upon Irish football, no wonder the game can't grow with nay-sayers like him around the place!

Fair play to Gamble, a deserved call up imo. It can only be good for him as well to be training with these higher quality players and will improve him as a player. It puts him more in the shop window though for English clubs.

As for Collins, well the less said about him the better.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

get them sitting on the bench in the premiership instead of playing first team football

If they can't make it in a premiership team, it's unlikely that they are good enough for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hoolahan is fat and crap. ;)

Looks like he will get a place in the john gill over weight army (dundalk team) ask kdjac about the number 7 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

blu_sonic wrote:

Your not serious? You dont honestly see the difference between a player playing in the EPL compared to the EL?

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    Right I dont want to turn into another eL vs the rest of the world nonsense.
    blu_sonic wrote:
    Your not serious? You dont honestly see the difference between a player playing in the EPL compared to the EL?

It always happens.

Do you see a difference between a player sitting on the bench in the EPL and playing in the EL?

its not el or epl it where the benifit to the irish manager?

because we all know how great the EPL is an how valiently you'll defend it *sigh* *roll eyes* etc....

blu_sonic - You must user I've seen on this forum be the most biased towards any league. :) How does it benefit Stan where Gamble plays? How does it benefit Africa if it rains in Ireland? Who said it would benefit Stan? :)

eirbhoy wrote:
    blu_sonic - You must user I've seen on this forum be the most biased towards any league. How does it benefit Stan where Gamble plays? How does it benefit Africa if it rains in Ireland? Who said it would benefit Stan?

This chap did.
    PHB wrote:
    I'd play them just so they might get bought up for a premiership club if they are good enough.

I just want to know how that reason benifits Steve Stanton?

Oh an I presume you mean I'm the most biased user towards any other league? well sadly your mistaken, Speriamo must be credited with that title. I'm more than happy for anyone to support any team Irish, Hungarian, Bolivian blah.... blah.... blah.........

*edit: I put in the wrong user name sorry Super Furry

PHB wrote:
    If they can't make it in a premiership team, it's unlikely that they are good enough for Ireland.

But Lee Trundle in Div 7 is?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

KdjaC wrote:
    But Lee Trundle in Div 7 is?
    No that is why he is not in the squad.

It'll be interesting to see how (if) Gamble gets on now that he has been called into the squad. Plenty of people here have said that he is good enough so I'd like him to get a chance to prove if he is.

No that is why he is not in the squad.

PHB wanted him the squad (the big trundle thread).

kdjac

oh dear i think the mean to say if they aren't in England they aren't good enough. ah well lets not go EL v EPL v BL v SA v LL. They are all lovely leagues with lovely boys who love their mammy's playing in them. May Jesus find you all and quash the hatred in your hearts!!!

ps. everyone knows the J-league is the best duh!

pps. Remember Jesus

^What?^

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement