Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eL players for the national squad

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yes.

Do you attend/watch many eL games?
    I havn't been to one yet this season, but was at about five last year, plus four FAI Cup games and countless LSL games. I saw at least six or seven EL games on TV.
    I would call Robbie Keane a classic centre forward at this stage after the way he has started getting tap-ins.

Damien Duff is best out on the wings.

Of course a player like George might not fit into Ireland's style of play at all, but I think he would enjoy the time on the ball he would get at that level.

I think Miller is a good player but he's not like George, and McGeady hasnt established a position yet.
    But all of these players offer the X factor that allledgedly only GOC can bring to the table.

Keane in particular in your own words "takes too much out of the ball at times" and will play every game because he is captain. Can we afford him and GOC in the team if both will take too much out of the ball? I for one definitely would not have them.
    blu_sonic wrote:
    turkey you've some cheek saying WE are making this EL v Everyone else. You are the one throwing fuel on the fire.

you refuse to accept our point of view that some EL players deserve a call up, its our openion you needn't agree but you have to accept it.
    I accept that you have a point of view/opinion, that does not mean that it is right or that I have to agree with it.
    blu_sonic wrote:
    you form openions on players and teams that you either haven't seen or have seen very little of. Your commenting on games that you never saw as i'm sure you well know a score line tells very little of the match
    I've seen plenty of all the EL players mentioned in this thread. And more than enough to know we have better options.
    blu_sonic wrote:
    final point on topic: Noone is saying Georgie should be in the WC squad or the EC squad just viewed in a friendy game (given 20-30 mins). IMO your more worried of him being good so you'll have to re-evaluate your view of the EL
    Eh no you are completely wrong. Read what I said, I like to see him get a chance, I'm in a win win situation. If he were good enough I'd love to see him play, but I don't think he is.

We have better players to play in CM. Reid, O'Shea, Kavanagh, Kilbane have all proved in performances past that they can do it. The bringing in of GOC, who will be 27 by the time we play our next competitive game, would stagnate the chances of the likes of Joey O'Brien or Stephen Ireland. Miller has also begun to get a bit of form back since his move to Leeds and could be playing regular Premiership football next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Didn't have time to read any of these posts and would have to say Gamble deserves his place based on what Ive seen. Ireland really need that type of player, and who knows....Keane started off his career in LOI too so why not Gamble for Ireland. If Roy Keane and Paul McGrath were good enough for Ireland then theres no reason Joe Gamble cannot be - in fact the LOI is a lot better now so you would think there should be a few in squad at least.

I think O'Callagahan could do a job too, Heary is getting a bit old as is Stuart Byrne.

Look at some of teams in World Cup, Sweden, Poland etc...they qualify regularly and their main breeding ground is their own leagues. If we could just keep our u-14 and u-15 internationals at home we would be much better off. 99% of them end up on dole anyway, dumped on side .

Edit: BTW , how come Shels , Cork etc don't try hold onto these u-14 and u-15 internationals, never understood why LOI has no academy either. Stop the exit of our young players from ireland and we will be in World Cup every 4 yrs and we will have 2 or 3 teams in Chamions League eventually. Our talent is going to loss in England as is English talent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

finnpark wrote:
    never understood why LOI has no academy either.

This, imo, is exactly the reason the EL is at the standard it is. Its absolutely ridiculous that EL teams do nt have academies and so the young lads have to go to England to get decent coaching. Thats why all Irelands best players end up in England and dont start out in the EL.

Even if players played in the EL at the beginning f their careers, it would be a huge boost to the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Kingp35 wrote:
    This, imo, is exactly the reason the EL is at the standard it is. Its absolutely ridiculous that EL teams do nt have academies and so the young lads have to go to England to get decent coaching. Thats why all Irelands best players end up in England and dont start out in the EL.

Even if players played in the EL at the beginning f their careers, it would be a huge boost to the league

It all comes down to money. The U-21 League has been great IMO, but what about the kids that have to leave the country when their 14/15? Its a crazy situation alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

But all of these players offer the X factor that allledgedly only GOC can bring to the table.

Keane in particular in your own words "takes too much out of the ball at times" and will play every game because he is captain. Can we afford him and GOC in the team if both will take too much out of the ball? I for one definitely would not have them.

Well you can never have enough good players in a squad.

Advertisement