Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend headphones?

• 11-05-2006 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone recommend a good set of headphones for recording and the like. budget is around E150, and i'll probably end up getting them off thomann. I think what i'm looking for is something with good isolation? when I go to record vocals the sound leaks out of the headphones and is picked up by the mic. any ideas? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got a set of Sennheiser HD280 Pro. Excellent sound quality. And very comfortable fit. Spare parts available too.

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_sennheiser_hd280pro_djkopfhoerer_prodinfo.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'll second that! I got a pair last week. Sturdy, comfy, isolated and of course great sound quality. Got them from an English company via ebay, great value:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/SENNHEISER-HD-280-HD280-Pro-Save-45-LOWEST-UK-PRICE_W0QQitemZ9720953473QQcategoryZ3274QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Excellent value, cornbb. I paid €140 for mine 18 months ago!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ella_Guru

Brilliant, thanks. Nice price too, I was gonna go with something by Beyerdynamic (sic) but those look perfect for my needs. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ascully

Sennheiser hd25 the best headphones i have ever used in my life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

those sennheisers are great. as are the Sennheiser HD 215's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Ella_Guru wrote:
    Hi, can anyone recommend a good set of headphones for recording and the like. budget is around E150, and i'll probably end up getting them off thomann. I think what i'm looking for is something with good isolation? when I go to record vocals the sound leaks out of the headphones and is picked up by the mic. any ideas? thanks.

If all you want the for is recording then you don't actually need to spend alot on high quality. Using them for mixing on the otherhand is a very different story but then mxing on headphones is usually a bit of a no no anyway.

When I set up my first studio I was on a tight budget and one of the ways I redirected the cash into the important stuff was by saving on headphones that the band would use while recording. I bought 1 pair of Beyerdynamic DT100s and 10 pairs of €15 euro headphones that where closed backed and tight on the head so they didn't cause spill problems. I used the DT100s for mixes and recording vocals etc and the others for everything else. Sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

frobisher wrote:
    I used the DT100s for mixes

What?????
    DT100's are the worst headphones to mix on. they're designed to be used for their great isolation when tracking.

Fair play to you if you can get a decent mix using DT100s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

jtsuited wrote:
    What?????
    DT100's are the worst headphones to mix on. they're designed to be used for their great isolation when tracking.

Fair play to you if you can get a decent mix using DT100s

As I said, mixing on headphones bottom line is a bit of a no no. Some people like it, I certainly don't. That said, when I'm doing a mix I like a set of headphones there that for balancing stereo spreads and having a different reference to my main monitors. I didn't want to buy a set especially for this so the DTs covered the bases. My main advice to the OP is to consider what you really want from the headphones and buy accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ella_Guru

Thanks for the pointers, I guess I'm just looking for good isolation, I'm getting major spill into the mic. I'm a newcomer to all this. As for mixing, I imagine I'll chance that through the headphones, although I was thinking of just doing through my hifi sytem. Any pointers are greatly appreciated though, as I'm a complete novice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement