Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sin Episodes is out

Options
  • 11-05-2006 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Downloaded the first episode in the Sin sequel last night.

While the graphics are interesting, using the HL2 Source engine, and the characters are well animated, it isn't the most impressive FPS i've ever played. It still seems to be sticking with the tried and tested system of shoot some bad guys, walk a bit forward, door opens bad guys run out, you shoot them

Haven't gotten very far (I hope), still on the tanker level. On the plus side you get to see the lovely Alexis Sinclair in a tiny bikini with fully Havok physic engine powered breasts. Technology is wonderful :D

Anyone else played it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Wicknight wrote:
    Downloaded the first episode in the Sin sequel last night.

While the graphics are interesting, using the HL2 Source engine, and the characters are well animated, it isn't the most impressive FPS i've ever played. It still seems to be sticking with the tried and tested system of shoot some bad guys, walk a bit forward, door opens bad guys run out, you shoot them

Haven't gotten very far (I hope), still on the tanker level. On the plus side you get to see the lovely Alexis Sinclair in a tiny bikini with fully Havok physic engine powered breasts. Technology is wonderful :D

Anyone else played it yet?
    [sad]i loved THAT scene in the original game, the one on the security camera in the hidden room[/sad]

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

madrab wrote:
    [sad]i loved THAT scene in the original game, the one on the security camera in the hidden room[/sad]

:D

Never played the first game? I assume you see "boobage" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sAid

awesome

not quite, but it is still "interesting" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Argh that's a shame, I was hoping it wouldn't be another generic FPS but it seems to have fallen that way. I guess I'll just have to pin my hopes on HL:Episode 1 for my FPS pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

while it is a bit FPS by the numbers, its good fun..

the source engine bell's and whistles dont do any harm at all either tbh

$20 and I got the whole first game too [which I never played] - so its a bit of a bargin tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I've been playing it a bit and yeah it fun enough worth a look at least by anyone not sure.

Although the HL2 stuttering problems are back in this game & unfortuantely I have them. But they are aware of it on the forums and have said there are working on a fix by updating the Source code base to a more recent version which I presume has the stutter fix for HL2. Although how they didn't encounter it is a mystery to me before the game came out.

The dynamic difficulty system is interesting alright & offers a good challenge for experienced players plus there are lots of secrets in the game which offers some re-playability, the dopefish makes an appearance as well as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Frankly I thought HL2 could have done with more bread and butter, walk into a room, shoot some guys, gameplay. It was very slow paced compared to HL1, Quake 2 or most of the other classic singleplayer FPS games. I also thought the weapons were absolutely rubbish.

What are the Sin guns like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

lol its only like 4 hours long what a rip off

bizmark wrote:
    lol its only like 4 hours long what a rip off

Six actually. The idea is that you pay €20 for an experience a third of the length of a full €60 game (ie 18 hours long). Of course there will be more episodes, I think there are 9 or something in total, so you will end up paying €180 for a game thats nearly 60 hours total.

Its just another way of selling the same old stuff.

Not really a rip off, but it does mean you can't buy the total game at any discount price. I like a lot of people, rarely buy packaged games full price, I wait for them to be reduced in price (got Splinter Cell 3 for €7 a few weeks back, nice). I doubt that this is going to happen with games sold on Steam.

But on the other hand wouldn't you rather pay €20 to find out a game is crap, than €50 or €60 and only complete the first third before you toss it in the bin?

What will be very interesting to see is how many people buy the next episode. The whole episode system might have the effect where designers are forced to increase standards of quality and invention or they simply don't get gamers willing to continue on the series.

Time will tell. We live in interesting times

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only came to a little less than 18 euro for me. Thats a lot less than a budget game so not really a rip off. Now if only my brother would stop turning off steam so that I can actually download and play the thing.

Six actually

Includeing areas you/me get stuck in over all its around 4 hour's
    I think there are 9 or something in total, so you will end up paying €180 for a game thats nearly 60 hours total ....

Its just another way of selling the same old stuff.

Not really a rip off,

Pritty sure the last 60 hour long game i bought cost me 40 euro so its a total unbeliveable rip off.
    But on the other hand wouldn't you rather pay €20 to find out a game is crap, than €50 or €60 and only complete the first third before you toss it in the bin?

Thats what eurogamer and demos are for and they are free.

bizmark wrote:
    Thats what eurogamer and demos are for and they are free.

Er, so why didn't you wait for the review before you bought the game?

Wicknight wrote:
    Er, so why didn't you wait for the review before you bought the game?

I didnt buy it im relieing on info from a friend and reader writen reviews on sites like gamespot ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

bizmark look at it this way a game like SiN:Emergence would never had been made if it weren't for a online distribution system and episodic content.

It takes a lot of money and time to put together games with 20+ hours of game play and publishers are increasingly risk averse and not willing to fund to such games not based on guaranteed return franchises. SiN:Emergence is done entirely by Ritual with no third party publisher funding it's development. Somewhat ironically the buzz around the new SiN game has meant some publishers actually wanting to sell a retail version.

For what €20 I don't think that's OMG outrageous and if you didn't like the first episode there is no need to buy any more after that.

I for one was looking forward to another SiN game and so far I've been pleased with it if episodic content is the way to go and keeps the developer in business then so be it I'll pay the 20 bucks as long as I'm entertained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hope we get wages of Sin with the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

It's fun enough, headshotting with the pistol is always enjoyable.

Reminds me how ****e the Source engine is though.

8T8 wrote:
    bizmark look at it this way a game like SiN:Emergence would never had been made if it weren't for a online distribution system and episodic content.

It takes a lot of money and time to put together games with 20+ hours of game play and publishers are increasingly risk averse and not willing to fund to such games not based on guaranteed return franchises. SiN:Emergence is done entirely by Ritual with no third party publisher funding it's development. Somewhat ironically the buzz around the new SiN game has meant some publishers actually wanting to sell a retail version.

For what €20 I don't think that's OMG outrageous and if you didn't like the first episode there is no need to buy any more after that.

I for one was looking forward to another SiN game and so far I've been pleased with it if episodic content is the way to go and keeps the developer in business then so be it I'll pay the 20 bucks as long as I'm entertained.

The only thing that’s progress about this whole endeavor is the online distribution that’s it to get 20 hours of game play out of sin (average length of a game i think you will agree?) you will need to buy 4 episode which = 60-80 euro that is at lest 20 euro more expensive than nearly any new pc game you can buy from play.com at the moment that isn’t progress that’s just a new way to rip you off and what’s more they are ripping you off while lowering their own over heads i don’t understand how you can possible support this worrying new trend that valve is pushing.

The game is getting a bit silly now. The Sintek soldiers are frustrating really frustrating and no fun at all. Awful lack of variety as well :(

wow osunds like retro is havein a change of heart :D

• Advertisement

I don't get people measuring value in terms of how many hours it takes to complete. Who gives a **** about single playthroughs. If the game is good you'll play it a few times. If it's not good then it doesn't matter how long it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

It seems very repetitive. Shoot bad guys, run into next room, shoot bad guys...
    It's not a bad game at all, just so far doesn't really seem to have been worth the €20. The engine is the usual source ****e aswell.

What is it you dislike about the Source engine out of curiosity?

I don't get people measuring value in terms of how many hours it takes to complete. Who gives a **** about single playthroughs. If the game is good you'll play it a few times. If it's not good then it doesn't matter how long it is.

It wouldnt matter if it only cost like 10 euro

Was enjoying it until those annoying sintek soldiers were introduced towards the end. I haven't seen fun being sapped out of a game since the ubersoldiers appeared in Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I was enjoying it up to that point. Still it's nothing special at all. You just have to keep moving from samey setpiece to the next. The fact that i'm enjoying the ancient orignal more says a lot. They really didn't change the engine much and loads of the textures are ripped from HL2.

What I'm really annoyed about is that hte highway chase and shoot out were not in the final game. The PCGamer review code had this level (i think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

8T8 wrote:
    bizmark look at it this way a game like SiN:Emergence

Umm what about paying 180 for a game that gets you 60 hours or 50 for GTA /Oblivion/Zelda/Mario that get you 60 hours play, the last 2 not having as much content or plot as the 1st 2 but still 60 hours.

kdjac

I paid 45 euros for Shadow of the Colossus and it was beaten in 7 hours. I love that game more than my family at times.* :p

*Just ignore the fact that I've beaten it another 3 times and my argument makes sense

What is it you dislike about the Source engine out of curiosity?

It's totally outdated technology. Looks crap, performance is crap, bugs upon bugs upon bugs, and level loading is so damn slow.

I havent played it since killing the first boss (piece of cake)

Used up all my damn ammo though except for the shotgun, and I can't take out those chaingunners with the shotgun (I think its useless, been using the pistol more or less all the time so far)

Patch out soonish to fix the auto difficulty adjuster..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It's totally outdated technology. Looks crap, performance is crap, bugs upon bugs upon bugs, and level loading is so damn slow.
    :confused:

I'm getting a steady 65-75fps through out, loding is about on par with any other game out there and do you not think bugs are a developer problem rather than source engine?

Anyway looks good to me :D

Advertisement