Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Buffalo Wing Sauce

• 11-05-2006 3:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get the Buffalo Wing Sauce that you get on wings in the US?? I can't find anything even vaguely similar here.

I've tried looking for it on google but it seems nobody will ship small amounts to Ireland. Surely you can find it in some shop somewhere? I'm in Dublin btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Bonus points from me if someone comes up with something resembling the sauce on the chicken wings in the Elephant & Castle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Bonus points from me if someone comes up with something resembling the sauce on the chicken wings in the Elephant & Castle.
    Have a look around the back door of the kitchens, where the bins are, and look for the name of the factory on the big plastic buckets it (possibly / probably / allegedly) arrives in :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

ObeyGiant wrote:

This is the same stuff. I think it's Anchor Bar Buffalo Sauce but may be something similar. All we have to do now is find it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

For something resembling the Elephant and Castle wings, try the Anglers Rest in the Strawberry Beds.
    They sell "Toronto Wacky Wings" in there, and the last time I went they had big bottles of the sauce for sale at the bar..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's a cracking recipe in Darina Allen's Ballymaloe Cookery Course book for buffalo wings using melted butter, Tabasco & ketchup.
    Will try & remember to jot it down this evening.

• Advertisement

Excellent. We'll get there yet.

BTW, is that the Anglers rest out in Chapelizoid?? Where exactly is the strawberry beds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Thats the one - the Strawberry Beds are out that road past Mount Sackville school, if you take the fork in the road that doesn't bring you to Castleknock.
    Chapelizod probably would have been a more accurate location, sorry :o

Do try the wings there some time, you can get them in 1lb or 2lb portions, fairly reasonable too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

you could try this website http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/home.asp

they might have some on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭podgewalsh

melt butter , vinegar and tobasco sauce together in a saucepan. Not sure on the amount of butter but I think it was 1 spoon of Vinegar and 5 of Tobasco.....

Wash the wings
    Cut in 1/2 (much easier to eat)
    Deep Fry
    Add wings to saucepan and mix about a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

podgewalsh's recipe is so close to the Elephant & Castle stuff, it's not even funny. I just added a tiny bit of honey, worchester sauce and tomato puree. Didn't quite get it spot on, but I can't wait to try it on chicken wings.

• Advertisement

Round of applause podgewalsh.

The receipe came from a cookery book "dean and deluca" ...remember to use unsalted butter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I know not of these elephant and castle wings. Do they have a slightly vinegar taste?

For a slightly more delicious sauce for wings try Frank's Red Hot. There are directions on the bottle for making a hot wing sauce - probably the same directions as what podgewalsh said, melted butter added. Tabasco is OK, but Franks has a nicer flavour and will satisfy more punters taste buds.

Anytime someone travels back from the states they know to bring me several bottles of Frank's - it goes on everything. (esp. an irish fry) If you cannot find Frank's then you can settle for Texas Pete's - a pleasing alternative.

Hot wings do not need to be fried, they can be baked and taste just as good for you health freaks out there. They just take longer to cook.

The easiest way to control the heat from wings is by applying less sauce to wings. If the wings are dripping they will be nice and hot, a little drier and they will be cooler for your weaker freinds.

I am currently out of Franks, waiting on a delivery in 2 weeks time. I have 1 and a half bottles of Petes to tide me over. After that it's on to Crystal; 2 bottles. If the delivery doesn't get through I will have to begin opening the collection of Hot Sauces good-intentioned freinds brought back. Sadly, these freinds did not listen to my request, instead opting to bring me back the hottest sauce they could find with the funniest title.

For Example:
    Scorned Woman Hot Sauce
    Ass in Hell
    Rectal Rocket
    Sir fartalot's
    Pull my finger

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭VEGAS NIGHTS

For something resembling the Elephant and Castle wings, try the Anglers Rest in the Strawberry Beds.
    They sell "Toronto Wacky Wings" in there, and the last time I went they had big bottles of the sauce for sale at the bar..

Hi, I stumbled across this thread on google. (I'm a regular poster in the poker forum).

I'm related to the guy who owns Toronto's wacky wings sauces. He lived in North America for a long time and when he returned to Ireland he set up an import company importing a wide variety of sauces. While some of the sauces in the range are comonlly used here in Ireland he also has a range of sauces that are not so common here. He has been the lease holder of the Anglers Rest in Chapelizod for the past few years and the sauce has been for sail there however, he is due to hand over the pub to a new lease holder this week.

<snip>

yankinlk wrote:
    Scorned Woman Hot Sauce
    Ass in Hell
    Rectal Rocket
    Sir fartalot's
    Pull my finger

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 torontos

Hi,i see you are looking for chicken wing sauce.My company <spam>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

torontos wrote:
    Hi,i see you are looking for chicken wing sauce.My company <spam>
    Alright. I asked you nicely not to spam via pm twice. I told you ONE post could stay in this thread as it was relevant. Now I'm irritated.

podgewalsh wrote:
    melt butter , vinegar and tobasco sauce together in a saucepan. Not sure on the amount of butter but I think it was 1 spoon of Vinegar and 5 of Tobasco.....

Wash the wings
    Cut in 1/2 (much easier to eat)
    Deep Fry
    Add wings to saucepan and mix about a bit
    I tried this and it's didn't work very well. It does smell like E&C but it's much too watery and spicy. It's missing something and there was a very strong smell of butter also and I didn't use that much.

I'll have to try again. :(

The way I make mine is olive oil, chilli sauce of your preferred heat level, dark muscavado, soy (or ketjap manis), crushed garlic, tomato purée. Marinate the wings in this. To cook, drain the wings & pop in the oven. Reduce the marinade until glossy and thick. Drizzle over. A particularly mega dip to go with this is feta mashed into yoghurt w/ oodles of chives.

Also, a handy way to cook wings in the oven while keeping them crispy all over, is to put them on a lightly oiled wire rack on a baking tray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

podgewalsh wrote:
    I think it was 1 spoon of Vinegar and 5 of Tobasco.....

5 spoons of tobasco? Thats, like, nearly a fully bottle of the stuff!!!

• Advertisement

Ballyman wrote:
    I tried this and it's didn't work very well. It does smell like E&C but it's much too watery and spicy. It's missing something and there was a very strong smell of butter also and I didn't use that much.

I'll have to try again. :(

Sorry Folks should have been Hot Pepper Sauce instead of the Tobasco...I did try Tobasco at the weekend and it was delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'm addicted to these wings...
    I'm very tempted to try and make my own version, so is podgewalsh's recipe the answer?

Unfortunately not. It's close but it's much too watery and is missing something. I think the only job is to buy the stuff off of ebay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Ballyman wrote:
    Unfortunately not. It's close but it's much too watery and is missing something. I think the only job is to buy the stuff off of ebay!!

I tried that recipe too, disaster to say the least...

Is that Chicken Wing Sauce definetely the one they use in E&C ?

Anyone want to SHARE in a big purchase, say ...

20 tubs, $100 + Postage & Packaging: $55.50, Insurance (optional): $2.75,

You're able to buy a gallon, at http://www.anchorbar.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=3 for 20dollars, but only deliver to the US, don't know shipping costs but could maybe use that shipping from the states service that is popular enough abouts boards.ie folk, shopthestates.com

Can also get it from the UK, http://www.barbecue-online.co.uk/acatalog/Anchor_Bar.html
    Shipping to UK is rel. cheap, 5quid for 5tubs, but to NI tis 20odd, and europe it is 40odd, sterling!

$158.25

= $7.9125 per bottle...

Still a bit steep.. less than 6.5euro a bottle ... Anyone up for it? :)

Also on sale here, http://www.scorchio.co.uk/shopping_cart.php, cant see Irish shipping charges tho!

Anyway if anyone is up for buying a few tubs, lemme know and we'll arrange something

Guys, have ye tried asking the Chefs? They won't give you the exact recipe, but they'll probably give you an approximation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's definately bought in from the states.

my g/f was on a girls night out starting in the aul' dub with intentions of going to E&C, but as luck would have it her and a friend ended up getting chatted up by a couple of the E&C chefs and as well as free drinks all night (and missing 3 bookings for E&C) she got one of them to get her some wings to bring home to me too!

good job as well, or i might have been upset with her about the whole thing. :)

anyway, they confirmed that they have it shipped from the US and I'm pretty sure that the ebay stuff is the right thing.
    EDIT:

Anchor Bar Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe

Ingredients:
    4 pounds Chicken wings
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Salt (if desired)
    4 cups Vegetable Oil
    4 tablespoons butter or margarine
    5 tablespoons Louisiana-brand hot sauce or Tabasco sauce
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

Directions:
    1. Chop off the tip of each chicken wing, and discard it. Chop the wing in half (cutting at the joint) to make 2 pieces. Grind on fresh black pepper and sprinkle with salt if desired.

2. Heat the oil over high heat in a deep skillet, Dutch oven, or deep-fat fryer until it starts to pop and sizzle (around 400 degrees F). Add half the chicken wings and cook until they're golden and crisp, stirring or shaking occasionally. When done, remove them to drain on paper towels and cook the remaining wings.

3. Melt the butter or margarine over medium heat in a heavy saucepan, add the hot sauce and the 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Stir well and remove from the flame immediately.

4. Place the chicken on a warm serving platter, pour the sauce on top, and serve

Here is the original recipe created by Ms. Teresa Bellissimo, owner of the Anchor Bar and Restaurant, in Buffalo, NY. It is taken from Totally Hot! The Ultimate Hot Pepper Cookbook.

This recipe for Anchor Bar Buffalo Chicken Wings serves/makes 4 lbs.

not too dissimilar at all to the earlier recipe.

wiki has more info too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_wings and google is awash with recipes and info about buffalo wings, the anchor bar etc. etc.

Back again

The cheapest way I can find of getting this sauce is at here

If you go through their online ordering system the shipping charge to Ireland is £42 but if you ring them up and order over the phone they ship for £10.

It costs around €6 per bottle including shipping which in the circumstances isn't too bad I suppose.

Anyway, thanks for your help in finding this stuff!!

Advertisement