Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Final - Liverpool v West Ham (everything)

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, but the best players in the world do it right 100 times out of a 100, that's the difference between them.
    It's to do with skill.

I cannot be arsed reading the rest of your posts but I guess this is arguing that Gerard doesn't do it in the big games or something..

What was it.. Scored in 4 of the last 5 finals that Liverpool has played in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only tournament final Gerrard has'nt scored in at senior level is the World Cup*..a ha!

Mike.

*world club championship does'nt count!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wow, great final! Have to say i wasn't quite as nervous and on edge/insane as during istanbul since Champs league is potential once in a lifetime kinda thing, but was still brickin it! Same highs and lows as istanbul, having that sinking feeling after the first 2, then the potential recovery before Konchesky struck and then of course the ultimate repreive.

Personally (and i try to stay as abject and neutral as i can for stuff like this) I honestly dont think West Ham were robbed. I think a 3 - 3 final scoreline was deserved. On play the game was very even, it ebbed and flowed in favour of each time at various points. West Ham were fortunate with the first and last goals, but they were very good attacking moves so hardly without merit. Just wish Cara had left the first for Reina! Crouch's disallowed goal is irrelevent as obviously if that had been scored the game would have restarted from the halfway line instead of kickout and everything would have been different, cisse's would never have happened.

In the end neither team deserved to lose, but neither did one outright deserve to win. Its football, a winner had to be decided, it sucks but thats just the way it is. A replay would probably have been fairer in reality.

Congrats to Pool, amazing display from Stevie G, commisserations to West Ham, fantastic season for them regardless, and European football next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, but the best players in the world do it right 100 times out of a 100, that's the difference between them.
    It's to do with skill.

I was referring to their national positions, Xavi and Alberto(Is that his name, I'm not 100% sure) will be Spain's middle pairing if fit.

As for Rio vs. Carragher, I obviously disagree, and so does the national team selection under Sven, and I'd imagine so will McClaren.

Yep, much like Smicer's shot.
    Clueless as usual, the best players do it 100/100 do they, you have not witnessed Ronaldinho hit a stray pass? did you miss the first half of the season were he had a string of woeful games and was dropped.

Also how do you know what Spains starting midfield will be when its unsure of what the formation will be, and you're unsure of what David Albedla's name is. (in fact it could be any pairing from Xavi, Alonso, Albelda, Cesc, Baraja, Iniesta and Marcos Senna)

This whole thread has been dragged horribly off topic but what it really boils down to is you'd rather be on her posting about your own team being FA Cup winners, then one of their rivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I won't comment about PHB because he really isn't worth the bother but Zabbo, this is a discussion board and everybody is entitled to an opinion on this and every other soccer match that happens. A lot of Liverpool fans don't seem to like other people invading "their" threads. You made a pretty offensive general statement about me earlier in this thread and you still haven't bothered to back it up...so there's no point in you nit picking at PHB cause you're no better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Have a look over a few of your posts in this thread, and the tone and opinion of the replys towards you.

Another Liverpool match thread railroaded by 'neutral' fans. Congrats

zabbo wrote:
    Have a look over a few of your posts in this thread, and the tone and opinion of the replys towards you.

Another Liverpool match thread railroaded by 'neutral' fans. Congrats

Tell you what zabbo, how about you look over some of my posts in this thread. You really hate non liverpool fans posting here don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It really is a disgrace at this stage that oppossing supporters will not give the never die attitude of Liverpool in big finals the credit that they deserve. They are a superior team to West Ham in every aspect and the best player on the pitch made a massive contribution to Liverpool's victory.

The reason this is the case is because other fans will not accept that West Ham's goals were not out of luck, or out of some godly intervention, they were to do with West Ham's ability and Liverpool's mistakes.

Watch it again...

I have, that's the point.
    It is about skill, just like everything else that happened. The Cross was a goal because of Reina's bad positioning.
    Liverpool scored 3 quality goals that were credted through their own skill and not because of mistakes by the West Ham defence.

Why?
    Are you suggesting that Liverpool's goals weren't due to West Ham mistakes?

Cause they were, all of them,
    1st goal: Right back lost his man
    2nd goal: Foul given away when it shouldn't have been OR Reo-Coker lost his man
    3rd goal: Benyun missed the clearance OR Reo-Coker lost his man

THe only difference between these goals?
    You noticed the mistakes, cause they were easier to notice

I cannot be arsed reading the rest of your posts but I guess this is arguing that Gerard doesn't do it in the big games or something..

That's great, but it's also just incredible stupid.
    You want to talk about real luck, real undeniable luck? That Gerrard was born

See that's the exact thing, the problem you have with posts about Liverpool.
    Just because I don't agree with you on one issue, it must mean I think Gerrard is a ****e player or somebody who goes missing in big games.
    But that's not the case, so stop being silly about it.

considering its players like him you're referring to when you say they do it right 100 times out of 100, would be complete rubbish.

Nope, because Carra doesn't do it right 99 times out of a 100, just like Rio doesn't do it right 100 times out a 100.
    Stop being silly and actually read what I was saying, instead of taking it to stuipid proportions which you know isn't what is meant in order to try and make it look like it's not a point.

The simple point is, Carragher's mistake is to do with his skill level.
    It's not about luck, it's about skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

*Sigh* think my attempted post of reason has been washed away.. I just dont understand all the moaning and bitching and complaining that goes on here sometimes..

~Rebel~ wrote:
    *Sigh* think my attempted post of reason has been washed away.. I just dont understand all the moaning and bitching and complaining that goes on here sometimes..

I read your post Rebel and it's common sense that I 100% agree with. However, there's nobudy getting abusive or upset here. This is a soccer thread and it's all football banter at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

PHB wrote:
    The reason this is the case is because other fans will not accept that West Ham's goals were not out of luck, or out of some godly intervention, they were to do with West Ham's ability and Liverpool's mistakes.

I have, that's the point.
    It is about skill, just like everything else that happened. The Cross was a goal because of Reina's bad positioning.

Why?
    Are you suggesting that Liverpool's goals weren't due to West Ham mistakes?

Cause they were, all of them,
    1st goal: Right back lost his man
    2nd goal: Foul given away when it shouldn't have been OR Reo-Coker lost his man
    3rd goal: Benyun missed the clearance OR Reo-Coker lost his man

THe only difference between these goals?
    You noticed the mistakes, cause they were easier to notice

That's great, but it's also just incredible stupid.

See that's the exact thing, the problem you have with posts about Liverpool.
    Just because I don't agree with you on one issue, it must mean I think Gerrard is a ****e player or somebody who goes missing in big games.
    But that's not the case, so stop being silly about it.

Nope, because Carra doesn't do it right 99 times out of a 100, just like Rio doesn't do it right 100 times out a 100.
    Stop being silly and actually read what I was saying, instead of taking it to stuipid proportions which you know isn't what is meant in order to try and make it look like it's not a point.

The simple point is, Carragher's mistake is to do with his skill level.
    It's not about luck, it's about skill.

So let me summis (came in late) West Ham scroed three well-worked, intentional and skillful goals then...? And Liverpool's were all down to fortunate passing and luck, then? An own-goal contains just as much skill as Gerrard's 35-yarder?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So let me summis (came in late) West Ham scroed three well-worked, intentional and skillful goals then...? And Liverpool's were all down to fortunate passing and luck, then? An own-goal contains just as much skill as Gerrard's 35-yarder?

Yeh, you've got that on the button, incredible comphrension shown within that post, got me down to a tee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

PHB wrote:
    got me down to a tee.

Well, that's sported that out then! Wouldn;t be sitcking my neck out to say you're a Man U fan (or just hate Liverpool full stop) and your opinons are being blinded by hate and anger? In which case, for the love of God get therapy!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Anybody have another link to highlights, mike's didn't work for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A classic FA Cup final !

Well done Liverpool on a well deserved win. I feel that if West Ham hadn't been blessed with an OG by Carragher they wouldn't have gone on to get 3 but that's just my opinion.

Gerrards form yesterday bodes well for the WC this year and I look forward to seeing him score a couple more screamers like the 2 he scored yesterday.

Great game !

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

would appreciate highlights too, if anyone has them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Anyone see cisse reaction when he looked at his medal? haha, it was gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

yeah it was real, "is that it?" and he pulled a face, i thought it was weird too

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

PHB, Carragher's skill level is probably best judged by the amount of goals Liverpool conceeded (or rather, didn't concede) in the league this year, after all, the table never lies, right?

Only Terry and Carvalho let less past them than Carragher and Hyppia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I wont bother commenting on some of the previous posts. Some people.

Good to see a good turnount yesterday for the parade of the team and the cup in Liverpool. Not as many as the 1 million that showed up for the home-coming after the CL final, thats for sure, but did anybody hear/read how many people were estimated to have lined the streets?

It was a fitting end to the season I thought for the club, a blue-riband (red-riband?) trophy which means quite a bit to players and fans alike, and the 2nd trophy in England but also one of the most famous in the world. It also keeps the momentum going which is very important from a sports psychology point of view. Additionally, the game was a classic, both energy and emotion sapping, with incidents and with goals and one that no-one will forget. It was also played in a very clean spirit. Liverpool only fouled West Ham 13 times or something in 120 mins.

One small point I did notice yesterday, and that was Chelsea also had their parade on the same day. I found the choice of date on their part most peculiar. For one thing, they knew for a long time that the final was between West Ham and Liverpool and that a parade would take place most likely the next day for the FA Cup. I think they tried to deliberately hold it on the same day in an attempt to usurp the FA Cup winners parade. Given the quality of match, it turned out that their tactic failed, and rather than people being divided over which acheivement was better, Liverpool were grabbing 95% of the attention. I wonder how many showed up at their parade?

I also think it was very disingenuous to West Ham, as if they would have won it there would have been two parades on in London, stretching perhaps police and emergency services. My gut feeling is that it was a deliberate ploy on Chelsea's part to 'get at' Liverpool. A trend which I am seeing more and more of as the rivalry between the clubs has intensed in the last 5 years or so.

You could perhaps think that they held the parade yesterday presuming that it would have been a double parade! Well, maybe, at least that shows that they werent cocky enough to hold it on the same day that Barca/Arsenal will be parading the CL cup.

redspider

ps: by the way, was that Adam Clayton I saw on the Chelsea bus. Stories for boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

redspider wrote:
    a blue-riband (red-riband?)

I think its ribboned!

Never mind your damn right, the Chelsea thing was oraganised way back when they thought they would be parading 3 trophies around. It was agreed with the Police so it couldnt be changed.

As for the final, any team that concedes 3 goals doesnt deserve to win it. Any team that loses a lead 3 times doesnt deserve to win it. Any team that plays with such heart as both teams did DOESNT deserve to lose it.

Its a pity that West Ham got nothing for their luck, skill, hard work and passion and Liverpool took it all with their luck, skill, hard work and passion.

I am sure that West Ham could do well in Europe next season with a few additions and I wish them the best. Look forward to see I'm Forever blowing bubbles sung in Europe.

YNWA.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

anyone know where i can get the codec to play those clips, it says i need a H264 codec which i cant seem to find anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

ro2 wrote:
    sweet, excellent quality

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

First off, I couldn't give a toss who watched the match where, who doesn't like who and which team was lucky or unlucky. This is a soccer forum.

Saturday's game was a fantastic match. It was exciting and entertaining to watch and the only annoying part was that it had to end on penalties. Fair play to both teams for the entertainment shown and hopefully West Ham will win a major trophy in the next few years (although not at the expense of Blackburn), they certainly deserve it after the the heartbreak of Saturday.

Congratulations to Liverpool on their victory too. Perhaps England should call up a few more 'Pool players for penalties in the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

Lemlin wrote:
    Congratulations to Liverpool on their victory too. Perhaps England should call up a few more 'Pool players for penalties in the World Cup.

problem is most of them are not english. excellent game, brillant 3rd goal by gerrard. neither team deserved to lose on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

redspider wrote:
    One small point I did notice yesterday, and that was Chelsea also had their parade on the same day. I found the choice of date on their part most peculiar. For one thing, they knew for a long time that the final was between West Ham and Liverpool and that a parade would take place most likely the next day for the FA Cup. I think they tried to deliberately hold it on the same day in an attempt to usurp the FA Cup winners parade. Given the quality of match, it turned out that their tactic failed, and rather than people being divided over which acheivement was better, Liverpool were grabbing 95% of the attention. I wonder how many showed up at their parade?

I also think it was very disingenuous to West Ham, as if they would have won it there would have been two parades on in London, stretching perhaps police and emergency services. My gut feeling is that it was a deliberate ploy on Chelsea's part to 'get at' Liverpool. A trend which I am seeing more and more of as the rivalry between the clubs has intensed in the last 5 years or so.

You could perhaps think that they held the parade yesterday presuming that it would have been a double parade! Well, maybe, at least that shows that they werent cocky enough to hold it on the same day that Barca/Arsenal will be parading the CL cup.

You do talk some nonsense at times. Why the hell would Chelsea give a damn what parades were happening elsewhere in the country,? Why would it make any difference if they had it the same day Barca had a parade in Barcelona ? parades are for the fans of a team, there wouldn't be any chelsea fans at a Liverpool FA cup victory parade, there wouldn't be any chelsea fans wanting to watch the liverpool bus on tv. The decision was made after we had won the league and gone out of the cup, it was designed to have it asap in order that as many players as possible were there prior to going to the WC / on the hols. If we had been in the Cup Final they would still probably have held it yesterday.

If West Ham had won it they would be unlikely to be allowed have a parade on the same day as Chelsea for security reasons, no reason why they couldn't have it next weekend though. Chelsea conspiracy my arse.

There were about 100,000 at the Chelsea parade on sunday.

Lemlin wrote:
    First off, I couldn't give a toss who watched the match where, who doesn't like who and which team was lucky or unlucky. This is a soccer forum.

Saturday's game was a fantastic match. It was exciting and entertaining to watch and the only annoying part was that it had to end on penalties. Fair play to both teams for the entertainment shown and hopefully West Ham will win a major trophy in the next few years (although not at the expense of Blackburn), they certainly deserve it after the the heartbreak of Saturday.

Lemlin - The last word.

(But you seem to have forgotton ever post you've ever made prior to this one. This is a soccer forum, yes...what were we talking about? Khyber Tossing?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Lemlin wrote:

I second that. Keep ye'r petty, silly little squables to yerselves. There are other people here who want to talk about football.

Fantastic match. I haven't been that excited about football since the Champs league final last year. Last year at 3-0 down I thought we were done for and gave up on the 'pool. I didn't make that mistake again this year. Never stopped believing we'd beat the Hammers.
    Reina made some fantastic saves that made up for his blunders for goals 2 & 3. Great save in ET. I thought it was going in for sure.
    Cisse impressed in the first half and scored a vital (and amazing) goal after Crouch had his disallowed. His performance dipped a lot in the second half and ET though and reaffirmed my belief that he should go.
    Kromkamp looked good when he came on and I'v high hopes for him next season.
    Hyypia was a rock again. And what about his goal chance. Wasn't far off was he. :)
    Gerrard was immense...... again. He IS Liverpool and though I'm not a fan of England I hope he has a great WC.
    What a game though! My heart was in my mouth the whole way through. West Ham can hold their heads up high in defeat cause that was one of the best FA cup finals in a long time and they really stuck it to Liverpool. Roll on the Charity Shield :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

growler wrote:
    You do talk some nonsense at times. Why the hell would Chelsea give a damn what parades were happening elsewhere in the country,? Why would it make any difference if they had it the same day Barca had a parade in Barcelona ? parades are for the fans of a team, there wouldn't be any chelsea fans at a Liverpool FA cup victory parade, there wouldn't be any chelsea fans wanting to watch the liverpool bus on tv. The decision was made after we had won the league and gone out of the cup, it was designed to have it asap in order that as many players as possible were there prior to going to the WC / on the hols.

If West Ham had won it they would be unlikely to be allowed have a parade on the same day as Chelsea for security reasons, no reason why they couldn't have it next weekend though.

There you go saying I am talking nonsense and with your West Ham point you are actually agreeing with me!

Your first point doesnt hold any water. Most teams arrange a parade of whatever trophy they've won as soon as possible after they have won it. Chelsea won the league title a few weeks ago, and were knocked out of all remaining competitions so there was nothing holding them back from arranging a parade at that point. They knew fine well that their parade on the Sunday would be held on the same day as the FA Cup winner's parade. It was a clear move by Chelsea management and shows how the likes of Kenyon and Mourinho are paranoid and ultra-sensitive about perception, etc.

redspider

Advertisement