Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Vs Shelbourne Monday 15th

• 11-05-2006 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Biggest league game of the season so far. Both sides have had indifferent starts to the season, but are still very much in touch at the top of the table.

Shels will fancy their chances this time. City have been playing appallingly poor of late, especially against Cobh in the league cup - losing 0-1. City, however, have a 100% record at home in the league, and up to last night, in all competitions, so thats a plus on that side.

Danny Murphys late red card means he is now suspended for Mondays game, so the anticipated clash between himself and Kearney is put back on the long finger. Billy Woods should deputise capably enough in this position though.

I would be happy with a draw here, which will keep City in touch until the transfer window, when City may even try and sign someone half decent for a change. Shels recent record against City has been awful, and lost already at the Cross this season, so hopefully this trend will continue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Whens the last time we won at The Cross? :(

I hope Kearney doesn't start, Bobby Ryan will do a better job imo, and won't have the added pressure of the stick from the home fans. Crowe did little or nothing on Monday (even if he was up front on his own) so I expect Gary O'Neill and Jayo up front, with O'Neill to possibly continue his goal-scoring run?

Shels have to settle on a back four and get some sort of defensive form together. I'd personally go for Heary, Dillon, Hawkins, Rogers at this moment in time.

Not even going to make a prediction for this one.

Oh, and its live on Setanta, build up at 7.30pm, kick off at 8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Massive game in fairness. Been looking forward to it since the fixture list came out.

I don't ever remember an uneventful Cork City vs Shels game. Even when they're 0-0, there is always something!:D

Billy Woods is an able replacement for D. Murphy, its our lack of width on the left that I think will still leave us struggle.

Just hope the weather is ok. Without the Shed, there is hardly any cover left at the Cross.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Draw would be nice.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Shels have to settle on a back four and get some sort of defensive form together
    :rolleyes:
    Why the hell is this even still an issue?

It's a massive game alright, and we played some good stuff against Drogs, with City's current form we could do a number on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Draw here and the drogs to capitalise on 2 points dropped by both teams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just noticed - If City win this game, top they go!

Not bad for a club in decline! ;)

gimmick wrote:
    Just noticed - If City win this game, top they go!

Not bad for a club in decline! ;)

Ehh welcome to the weekend, 5 teams Derry Pats Shels Cork Drogs if they won would have went top or more top in drogs case.

So again a draw would be nice.

kdjac

^ The point i was alluding to, is the fact that so many people have written off Citys chances of retaining the league, including many of our own fans.

The fact that City can top the table tomorrow night, means that even though the team have not played at all well, that results are being gropund out, and God help the rest of the league if City actually start playing well (and sign a few new players!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Similarly God help the rest of the league if we really click! (This season is gonna fvcking rock! :D)!

And to put things even more in perspective, if we win we go 1 point ahead of Cork with a game in hand, and are only 1 point behind Drogheda.

Dying for this! Once they don't try charging €1 for an Easy Singles slice of cheese again! ;)

Nailer and Byrne up front. Moore back hopefully - credit where it's due, he's been good lately.

Christ, 2 of the lads out there tomorrow could be lining out for Ireland in the next week or so!

eins wrote:
    Christ, 2 of the lads out there tomorrow could be lining out for Ireland in the next week or so!

best thing ever

• Advertisement

So what do people think the score will be?

0-0

Heart says 0-1, head says 1-0.

no hearts beat gretna on pennos

I'm confident for some reason, 1-2 :) (1 for Cork as we can't keep clean sheets! :D)

0-0 according to Errortel at halftime so that could be anything really.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

1-1 at half time. Fairly poor game up until the last 5 mins of the half when Shels got a peno for a foul by Devine on Jason Bryen and he converted. GOC equalsed three minutes later with a wonderful free kick.

mchurl wrote:
    1-1 at half time. Fairly poor game up until the last 5 mins of the half when Shels got a peno for a foul by Devine on Jason Bryen and he converted. GOC equalsed three minutes later with a wonderful free kick.

Heh Errortel had 0-0 half time on it :p Changed to 1-1 they really dont give a **** if its on Setanta.

1-1 is nice, poor game is better.

kdjac

Very poor game, Shels were diabolical. Deserved to lose. Some of those "players" need a right kick in the hole.

Poor enough game but its 3 points for City and we are now top of the table.

Kearney was kept very quiet and after playing well early on, Ollie Cahill disappeared.

City are still the No.1 team in the country. And hopefully we can sign a few more players in the Summer transfer window.

• Advertisement

For a City Shels game, the athmosphere was poor. I think the better team won again though. Once Shels took the lead they didnt know what to do. Had they a good manager, they would have went in at half time at 1-0 considering they took the lead on 41.

Fenns winner was pure class. Great team play from City, and a very unselfish pass from O Donovan. Once City took the lead, i was fully confident that Shels wouldnt equalise. This confidence grew all the more when Crowe came on for O Neill, who it must be said, had a stinker anyway.

To sum up, City have alot to do to retain, but top of the league tonight tells a big story. Billy Woods was immense all night. Kearney didnt like me signing "no regrets" to him outside the ground. Greg was very annoyed at not being booed. Scouse Rogers is a pathetic player. One of the worst I have ever seen at a top Irish club.How Dan Murray was named MOTM Ill never know?

Big game now Saturday Vs Derry at the Brandywell.

Not the best game, but wouldn't have cared if we'd got something from it! Some of those lads need a foot up the rectum!

Just frustrated that after the trains striked, and finding no buses that suited time-wise, finally resorted to renting a car and drove down to watch that dismal display! Shocking! :eek:

To be fair I thought neither team deserved 3 points, but credit to City for taking their chances. Both teams were stuck with half chances for the 90 minutes really, but as said above, has Nutsy even gone over what to do when we go 1-0 up? Obviously not, unless he's telling them to sit back with 50ish minutes left! :mad:

Highlight of the night was one certain chant that I think I'd get banned for if I put it up! :D

Advertisement