Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelguns?

Options
  • 11-05-2006 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Any revolver shooters on the board? I started off with a semi-auto pistol (like most folks), but now I'm thinking strongly of getting a six-shooter. What sort of take up have these had here generally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

According to the Minister, there are 109 licenced in Ireland at the moment Civ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

For the record Civ, my brother has his application in for a 6' barrel S+W
    .38/.357. Very nice gun to shoot, but just not 'practical' (Pardon the Pun).

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Try the Taurus .357/38 range, much cheaper then the Smith n Wessons and seem as good. P.S. wait until you see the messing when you put in for .357/.38! Expect to be asked how a firearm can have two calibers:(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

I have had the pleasure of putting a couple of boxes of ammo through a S&w .38 a couple of months ago, it's a good solid gun absorbs the recoil well got some decent groups(for a beginner:D ) once i got used to it and even though i have smallish hands the grip was still good for a fairly large gun .

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Only ever fired the club's 686 .357, was suprised how accurate it was and very comfortable to fire 38s through. Was considering a Ruger GP100 .357 4'' Blued but I might wait til the Super's hair grows back.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

civdef,

How much disposable income do we have to play with??? :D Do you have a caliber in mind?

A target 'set up' .22 is probably the most user friendly and 'super' friendly.

A Colt Diamondback in .22 LR is basically a Python and uses the traditional Colt "V" shaped mainspring and internal lockwork. One the finest .22 LR. http://www.cherrys.com/stokpics/17526parb.jpg

Any of the Smith & Wesson models - A K22 or a K22 Masterpiece if you can find one, a 617 in .22, a 63 in 22 lr or a 651 in 22mag

Ruger's Single-Six looks to be a contender. No first hand knowledge on the R S-S http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SingleSix-17.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hmmmm...
    Smith & Wesson Model 617 Revolver in .22LR = "Object of Desire"

160578large4di.jpg

<involuntary hip-thrusting movement>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Double barrel & Rovi, your thoughts mirror mine, i'm looking for a nice S&W k22 (model 17 or 18, failing that a 617) at the moment, and theyre tough to locate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

How much disposable income do we have to play with??? :D

Do you have a wheelbarrow?

'Not many are acquainted with this small German company from Ratzeburg, a town located on an island in the Schaale River, about 12 miles from Lu beck. However, Ratzeburg is where some of the finest handguns have been carefully handcrafted since 1964. Production is limited, and the cost is extremely high, due to the many hours of skilled labor required. Thus, most of us admire the samples displayed in catalogs, at international gun shows, or in the windows of the most famous arms retailers. Korth revolvers are rare items, of a recognized original design, executed with the very best workmanship.'

'Willi Korth, a railway engineer passionately fond of shooting and hunting, was designing the action of his future revolvers. Being German, he could not be satisfied taking advantage of lower European manufacturing costs, while copying the best American designs, as many others did. He had to excel on his own terms.

This drive motivated him, when he founded his company in 1954, at the age of forty-one, to select the best available steel-that from MG-34 machine guns scraped at the end of the war. Nowadays, such scrap steel no longer exists, and modern Korth handguns, including the revolver sideplates, cylinder cranes, cylinders, triggers and hammers- or pistol slides and receivers-are machined from forgings made of the most appropriate modern steels: 1,700 psi tensile strength, heat-treated to Rockwell 58C.'

pic-49-1.jpg
    A 6-inch barrel Korth "Sport" revolver chambered in 357 Magnum, with an interchangeable 9mm Luger cylinder, = "Object of Desire" :D

http://www.korth-waffen.de/en/index.html
    http://www.korthusa.com/brochure/gt_korth_revolver.pdf

Just waiting for the delivery of a 617 now, wohoo!

• Advertisement

civdef wrote:
    Just waiting for the delivery of a 617 now, wohoo!
    I stopped waiting last Sunday :D-
    sw61710kg2.jpg

It's a thing of beauty and a joy to behold, you'll be delighted with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Jammy feckers:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

S&W 686 in 38/.357, you only man! €850 new. Great trigger straight out of the box. The only change I would make is the grips, and there are many different types to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭gouldian

Rovi - I've bought a 617 - 10 shot 4" barrel model - I'm waiting on the licence. How do you find the gun - specifically does it have a good single action trigger - is it accurate and is the cylinder made of stainless steel or aluminium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

civdef wrote:
    Double barrel & Rovi, your thoughts mirror mine, i'm looking for a nice S&W k22 (model 17 or 18, failing that a 617) at the moment, and theyre tough to locate!

Most reliable location to get your hands on a 617 S&W is Gordon Newell at Hollow Farm, best price too <€800 for a unit, go for the 10 shot, much better than 6 shot.
    Gordon can get you a number in days, once you get your lisence and article 7, send it and your EU pass, he will arrange local visitors permit and you can collect it, alternatively once licence is issued, look to a local dealer to apply for a Article 11 from DOJ, you will need a copy of your license and also article 7, once article 11 issued by DOJ (Takes 10 days to 14 depending on their humour) the revolver can be delivered in the normal way to your local dealer.

Bobs your uncle! Hope this was helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

right , for a start revolvers are great , but .22 revolvers are a waste of time unless you are using them to train for their bigger brothers , straight off they are crap in competitions , how many of you have tried loading a 617 with a 617 speedloader, its a right pain in the arse and thats the 6 shot model , why any one would want the 10 is beyond me, if you want to casually plink at cans fair enough but thats the extent of their usefulness, god forbid even sparks is even going to agree with me for once ,when was the last time some one competed with a .22 revolver in issf , yes they are pretty accurate compared to crap .22 autoloaders but spend some money on a decent .22 auto ( walter gsp ) etc and their is no comparison . if you are thinking revolver go centerfire and buy from a master . I recommend ralf merkel . merkel tuning.de, bow to the king of revolvers.

2 cents

zed

god forbid even sparks is even going to agree with me for once
    Indeed.
    I'm rather scared by that.
    :D
    when was the last time some one competed with a .22 revolver in issf
    Well, they still do, but only because of not being able to afford semi-autos like the baikals or GSPs. Better than a ruger maybe, but not by much. And you wouldn't see too many at world cup level, if any.

However, all rules have an exception - Debevec still shoots with a post and Gonci's kneeling position is a lesson in extremism...

oldzed wrote:
    right , for a start revolvers are great , but .22 revolvers are a waste of time unless you are using them to train for their bigger brothers , straight off they are crap in competitions , how many of you have tried loading a 617 with a 617 speedloader, its a right pain in the arse and thats the 6 shot model , why any one would want the 10 is beyond me, if you want to casually plink at cans fair enough but thats the extent of their usefulness, god forbid even sparks is even going to agree with me for once ,when was the last time some one competed with a .22 revolver in issf , yes they are pretty accurate compared to crap .22 autoloaders but spend some money on a decent .22 auto ( walter gsp ) etc and their is no comparison . if you are thinking revolver go centerfire and buy from a master . I recommend ralf merkel . merkel tuning.de, bow to the king of revolvers.

2 cents

zed
    <shrug>
    I'm sorry my choice doesn't meet with your approval, I guess I'll just have to live with the derision and disdain that will undoubtedly be heaped upon my head by the zealous acolytes of the 'One True Shooting Sport'.

Luckily for me, heresy is no longer punishable by burning at the stake, so I'm probably safe enough for the moment. :rolleyes:

I appreciate a 617 will never bring me to the Olympics or the IPSC worl championships.

I'm not one of these individuals that apparently achieves instant expert status (you can often see these fellas on a range, usually with a shiny expensive new gun that they are incapable of using) - so my plan is to gradually build up shooting experience and skills. This is the reason my pistol is a bog standard CZ75, and similarly why I now want a .22 to build up some experience of revolver shooting (relatively inexpensively, I might add, as I find even 9mm stretching my credit limits at the quantities I'd like to be shooting).

If I ever get to a stage where I'm outshooting the revolver, I'll be sure to ring up some ubermeisterpistolenmacher to get the best available, but until then I'll stay in the cheap seats.

I dunno about that idea Civ. How much are you looking at for a .22lr revolver? Because an IZH-35M can go for as low as $400 in the US from EAA and if you could source direct from Russia, I'd bet you could get it for a similar price. And the IZH is such a good design that it's the core of several much more expensive guns - the FWB AW93 for example, is basicly a polished and rebadged IZH.

Maybe if you could get the 617 for €200 or so, it might be worth it. Otherwise, just buy the Izzy.

The nice thing about ISSF shooting is that the cheap seats don't always have to be the worst ones :D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    The nice thing about ISSF shooting is that the cheap seats don't always have to be the worst ones :D
    What if someone has absolutely no interest whatsoever in ISSF shooting, and wants a revolver?

Would if be okay to buy a 617 then? :D

Hey, if you want to focus on the bang and not the score, be my guest ;):D:D:D

I live for the 'BANG!'

:rolleyes:

I view ISSF in the same light as those Bhuddist monks living in the heights of Tibet, though they look wierd, they seem happy doing their thing, but I sure as bejaysus want nothing to do with it.

civdef wrote:
    I view ISSF in the same light as those Bhuddist monks living in the heights of Tibet, though they look wierd, they seem happy doing their thing, but I sure as bejaysus want nothing to do with it.
    Fair enough - I mean, that's how a lot of us see things like F-Class or Silhouette or IPSC - but that Izzy still maxes out most of the cost/benefit graphs....

It's also very ISSF specific, I reckon the revolver lends itself better to more varied styles.

How so Civ? I would have thought that anything a revolver can do, a semi-auto can do as well?

Try fire an Iz35 using a two-handed grip.

From the East Coast Shooting website:
    vincent1.jpg

It's an AW93 rather than a stock Izzy, but the action is the same. I'll admit, it's awkward without some work with the sanding block, but that's by design - Izzys are meant for one-handed shooting and they're meant to have people take dremels and such to the grips to customise them to their hands. No reason you couldn't give one a grip that would let you get a better two-handed grip on there. (Taking the palm shelf off as well might help).

• Advertisement

You also don't get to address your target thusly-
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire ten shots, or only nine?' Well, to tell you the truth in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But, being as this is a Smith & Wesson 617 in .22 Long Rifle, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow very small holes through your bullseye, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

Advertisement