Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Bypass (Part of M9)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

fricatus wrote: »
    Point well made. Other roads have the odd bad stretch, but the N9 from the Paulstown N10 junction all the way to Waterford is uniformly bad, and like dymonaz said, there are only two or three overtaking opportunities along the entire 60 km. If there's anything coming the other way, you are stuck.

That section of road needs a wholesale realignment anyway, and the marginal cost of making it a motorway the whole way is probably not all that high. That's just my guess, but I asked before if someone could produce figures to prove me right or wrong, but nobody did.

Mods: why not split this thread into a Carlow Bypass one and a "Do we need the M9?" one at this stage?

So what?, given the numbers involved, a new S2 road would easily satisfy your overtaking desires and comfortably handle those 6k vehicles a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

So what?, given the numbers involved, a new S2 road would easily satisfy your overtaking desires and comfortably handle those 6k vehicles a day.

Once again I make the point: why build a totally new S2 road when you can build a motorway for a small additional cost*, and reap the twin benefits of added safety and future proofing.

* I'm surmising of course... I'd love to see the cost differential between, say, 10 km of new S2 versus 10 km of new motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Once again I make the point: why build a totally new S2 road when you can build a motorway for a small additional cost*, and reap the twin benefits of added safety and future proofing.

* I'm surmising of course... I'd love to see the cost differential between, say, 10 km of new S2 versus 10 km of new motorway.

I hear this phrase "future proofing" bandied around in relation to transport projects (usually where current numbers dont add up) as justification for over elaborate schemes & projects.

My POV on this and every other thread is simple, Lets build what is needed first.

a Motorway with something like a 55k capacity to replace a 6k road? nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

a Motorway with something like a 55k capacity to replace a 6k road? nonsense.

It'd be like the Ballymena Bypass....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Well S2 road can carry up to 13,500 or thereabouts.

2+1 or 2+2 would be sufficient can carry up to 19,500 I believe, again these figures are not on the dot figures. But regardless the N9 wouldbe future proofed. Don't get confused with the cost of a 2+2 and a full blown motorway, a motorway is much more expensive to build. NRA did say the current 2+1 and 2+2 are not much difference in cost, as the landtake and width and design of both road types are much the same.

Surely since Waterford will have two HQDCs one could of been least left S2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

So lads this all means it opens when???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

cargo wrote: »
    So lads this all means it opens when???

Last word from the Carlow Nationalist said that it would be opening the first or second week of May.

(Apologies by the way for my off-topic post yesterday after the thread split... mods, could you move it to the other thread and I'll answer the post from mysterious above?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

mysterious wrote: »
    Well S2 road can carry up to 13,500 or thereabouts.

2+1 or 2+2 would be sufficient can carry up to 19,500 I believe, again these figures are not on the dot figures. But regardless the N9 wouldbe future proofed. Don't get confused with the cost of a 2+2 and a full blown motorway, a motorway is much more expensive to build. NRA did say the current 2+1 and 2+2 are not much difference in cost, as the landtake and width and design of both road types are much the same.

As starter of this Thread.. This is about the Carlow Bypass for the last time please keep ON TOPIC

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mysterious wrote: »

Since when is Waterford city getting " two motorways"? :confused:
    The N11 Dual Carriageway ends south of Gorey, about 70KM from Waterford so to say that it is being served by two motorways is completely incorrect.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Since when is Waterford city getting " two motorways"? :confused:
    The N11 Dual Carriageway ends south of Gorey, about 70KM from Waterford so to say that it is being served by two motorways is completely incorrect.

It's not incorrect, your just been ignorant.

Enniscorthy and New Ross are getting DC bypass. New Ross bypass will connect to the Ferrybank dual carriegway. It will be HQDC the whole way.

Another section of N11 is starting at the end of this year! Can't remember which. but I don't want to get off topic. Now do I.:)

• Advertisement

Bards wrote: »
    As starter of this Thread.. This is about the Carlow Bypass for the last time please keep ON TOPIC

Okay Carlow bypass should get HQDC, now anything past Paulstown should be 2+1 or 2+2.

Advertisement