Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

the law and 1st provisional???

Options
  • 11-05-2006 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

has anybody here been chargered or got in trouble with the guards for driving on a 1st provisional???.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Oh no, not again ... please make it stop someone !!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

Alun wrote:
    Oh no, not again ... please make it stop someone !!!!!!!!!

where is the thread then????

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

where is the thread then????
    Which one? This topic, if you can call it that, comes up regularly about once a month or so. Use the "Search" facility.

Alun wrote:
    Which one? This topic, if you can call it that, comes up regularly about once a month or so. Use the "Search" facility.

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

has anybody here been chargered or got in trouble with the guards for driving on a 1st provisional???.

please someone lock this now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

jhegarty wrote:
    please someone lock this now...
    Oh get over it...

To answer you. When I was on my provisional about a year ago, I was stopped at a check point by a Garda. Gave him my license and said nothing. But every Guard is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,916 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

what else are you supposed to do with it? :D

if you mean driving ILLEGALLY unaccompanied by a qualified driver, there is going to be a hell of a clampdown on this sooner or later and when it happens 400,000 provisional licence holders won't know what hit them. 'Bout time too.

Oh and it's not just the first provisional, it's the third and all subsequent ones too, and the exception for the 2nd provisional is very likely to get abolished right after the next election...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

It's not really a realistic law to have when the waiting list for a driving test is about 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Say you need your license for a job and they wll rush your application and give you someone's cancellation usually in less than a month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Rumour has it the prison in Thornton hall is to have a specific wing dedicated to people caught driving unaccompanied........

:rolleyes:

Whatever you do, don't pick up the change...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

ninja900 wrote:
    if you mean driving ILLEGALLY unaccompanied by a qualified driver, there is going to be a hell of a clampdown on this sooner or later and when it happens 400,000 provisional licence holders won't know what hit them. 'Bout time too.

When the waiting list falls to about 6weeks it will be a very reasonable thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭jamescrombie

lads i have a full license i am just wondering because i did it coz evry other learner was but the rotr stated othrwise, was never stopped though, and my bro wnts to do it but it seems to be getting stricter

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

maidhc wrote:
    When the waiting list falls to about 6weeks it will be a very reasonable thing to do.

I've waited for 16 months for a driving test, and think this 6 weeks thing is a bit of a dream, they should concentrate on getting it down to 6 months first.

Skyuser wrote:
    It's not really a realistic law to have when the waiting list for a driving test is about 1 year.
    Perhaps - but a big part of the reason the waiting list is so long is because so many people don't prepare properly for the test. Why should they care whether they pass or fail when they can carry on driving on their own regardless?
    People take a couple of lessons when they start driving (if they feel like it) and then think that an hour or two "pre test" is going to sort them out.
    It's about time that we took driver training seriously and that means no unaccompanied unqualified drivers. Otherwise what is the point of having a test at all?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

ninja900 wrote:
    Perhaps - but a big part of the reason the waiting list is so long is because so many people don't prepare properly for the test. Why should they care whether they pass or fail when they can carry on driving on their own regardless?
    People take a couple of lessons when they start driving (if they feel like it) and then think that an hour or two "pre test" is going to sort them out.
    It's about time that we took driver training seriously and that means no unaccompanied unqualified drivers. Otherwise what is the point of having a test at all?
    I'm 21, so I know a lot people that would have done they're driving test in the last year or 2, including myself, and I don't know one of them that didn't care about passing their test, since in at my age having a full license is worth about 500 euro on insurance.

To the OP, you won't get into trouble driving on your 1st provisional, in reality there's no difference between a full license and a provisional other than cheaper insurance as far as I can see.

Tony Danza wrote:

To the OP, you won't get into trouble driving on your 1st provisional, in reality there's no difference between a full license and a provisional other than cheaper insurance as far as I can see.
    Well it is a law, you can't say you won't. There may be some stick to the book brand new garda out there that will do something about it. Although I never found out what they do about it or what the fine is or even if there is a fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Tony Danza wrote:
    in reality there's no difference between a full license and a provisional other than cheaper insurance as far as I can see.

What about job prospects? You won't meet too many employers who require drivers, willing to employ someone with a provisional licence. Have you ever met a working taxi, bus or truck driver with a provisional licence?

ninja900 wrote:
    400,000 provisional licence holders won't know what hit them. 'Bout time too.

QUOTE]

AFAIK if the provisional licence (B) was held before 12th August 1985 the driver is exempted from the accompanied driver rule.

Those on their second provisional B category are exempt.

Those who hold a provisional licence in A1,A,M and W are not required to be accompanied.

That should constitute a good portion of that 400,000.

Litcagral wrote:
    What about job prospects? You won't meet too many employers who require drivers, willing to employ someone with a provisional licence. Have you ever met a working taxi, bus or truck driver with a provisional licence?
    Never thought about that. Was just thinking for the majority of people that just use their license for driving from a to b in their own car.
    Skyuser wrote:
    Well it is a law, you can't say you won't. There may be some stick to the book brand new garda out there that will do something about it. Although I never found out what they do about it or what the fine is or even if there is a fine.
    Sure it's illegal to jaywalk, everyone does and nobody gets in trouble for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

They're starting to clamp down in north cork on provisional licenses. A lot of the cases before the judge are provisional licence holders driving unaccompanied. They're being fined €150 a go.

I guess it depends on where you're living.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Bamboozled wrote:
    They're starting to clamp down in north cork on provisional licenses.

I can vouch for that. I know a girl who was stopped in Fermoy a week or two ago and is going to be meeting a judge.

Bamboozled wrote:
    They're starting to clamp down in north cork on provisional licenses. A lot of the cases before the judge are provisional licence holders driving unaccompanied. They're being fined €150 a go.

I guess it depends on where you're living.
    I would completely agree with that if you only waited a few weeks for your test, but it seems unfair to do it now. Also where exactly did you hear this? Did a quick google search and couldn't even see a fine stated for the offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

My solicitor warned me. He was dealing with a different issue for me, and mentioned in passing that he was going to be unavailable during certain hours because he had a lot of drivers in front of the judge in the coming weeks, and that the number has been steadily increasing since Christmas. Our local newsletter and papers have reported the same.

Two friends of mine have already been fined. The waiting list for the test here is 10 months and they were able to produce the letter stating date and time of test but it made no difference as they were breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Say you need your license for a job and they wll rush your application and give you someone's cancellation usually in less than a month

If everyone were to do that the backlog would be cleared in less than a month.

Someone should tell the minister.;)

To The op I have seen prosecutions for driving unaccompanied in local court reports lately in North Co. Dublin, not sure if there were mitigating circumstance though.

yes this is what i was thinking that they were going to clamp down on it because it is so prevalent, and you get 2p.p if you are caught

yes this is what i was thinking that they were going to clamp down on it because it is so prevalent, and you get 2p.p if you are caught

AFAIK driving on a provisional licence unaccompanied is not a penalty point offence nor is it a 'fixed charge' offence. I presume therefore that it is up to the District Court Judge to decide on the appropriate penalty.

(In the UK - £100 fine and up to 6 points)

Bamboozled wrote:
    A lot of the cases before the judge are provisional licence holders driving unaccompanied. They're being fined €150 a go.
    That's getting off lightly tbh. Technically they're driving unlicensed, as they're in breach of the conditions attached to the provisional licence.
    As insurance is also conditional on a valid licence, there's the potential for a world of fun here.

Litcagral wrote:
    AFAIK if the provisional licence (B) was held before 12th August 1985 the driver is exempted from the accompanied driver rule.
    Jeebus if they can't pass a test in all that time WTF are they doing driving at all.
    Those who hold a provisional licence in A1,A,M and W are not required to be accompanied.
    As motorcycles make up ~2% of all private vehicles, don't get too excited...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Tony Danza wrote:
    I would completely agree with that if you only waited a few weeks for your test, but it seems unfair to do it now. Also where exactly did you hear this? Did a quick google search and couldn't even see a fine stated for the offense.

LOL unfair. Its unfair that licenced drivers have to share the road with these people.

Its not like they applied for the test and then *discovered* that it was a 10 month waiting list. I'll bet they knew. AND I'll bet that the majority of these were old enough to apply 10 months ago too.

Advertisement