Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Shearer Testimonial.

• 11-05-2006 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Its on tonight on itv4.
    just thought id set up a thread dedicated to him.
    i know many people have different views on him, but he is one of the greatest english goal scorers of all time and is a newcastle legend!

Thank you alan for 10 great years, it will not be forgotten!!!
    Wish you all the best in the future and hope to see you as manager someday!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Was never his biggest fan but you cant argue with his record. Fair play to him and im sure it wont be long before we see him managing the Toon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Never well liked really. BUt i think everyone realises how good a player he was. Along with henry, the best striker the premiership has seen. Shame he got injuried and it ended for him the way it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

1-0 newcastle Luque volley. 20 mins to go Shearer still not on. I think he's getting on for last few minutes.

1-1 maloney got brough down and converted the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Is Keane playing for Celtic?;)

• Advertisement

smashey wrote:
    Is Keane playing for Celtic?;)

No. 2-1 Celtic hartson 8 mins to go.

2-2 Virgo OG 92 min. penalty 93 min for Newcastle, enter Shearer to put it away. 3-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

oh my god, its started.

pantomine football :p ive seen it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

andrewie wrote:
    2-2 Virgo OG 92 min. penalty 93 min for Newcastle, enter Shearer to put it away. 3-2.
    Fix! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Surprised how blatent that turnaround for Newcastle was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I sense a Malaysian betting syndicate. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

smashey wrote:

If only i was in on it:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

smashey wrote:
    Any food poisoning to Celtic players? :)

Nice way for him to go out, scoring a penalty. The ref must have been more of a softie than the one at Keane's testimonial that turned away his penalty claim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

guys its a testimonial, and its only right really for alan shearer to go off on a high. sure noone wants to see a boring testimonial like keane's the other day. testimonials are meant to be a laugh. fair play to the celtic players for playing along!!! pity ant and dec were hosting......gimps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Alan Shearer = Absolute legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

amen to that! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

guys its a testimonial, and its only right really for alan shearer to go off on a high. sure noone wants to see a boring testimonial like keane's the other day. testimonials are meant to be a laugh. fair play to the celtic players for playing along!!! pity ant and dec were hosting......gimps.

Althought the sentiment was correct, it was embarrassing and I think the travelling Celtic support were conned as GS has stated that Celtic FC take testimonials very seriously thus Celtic did not allow Maloney, McManus & Marshall travel with the Scotland squad to take part in a friendly tournament in Japan.

Althought the sentiment was correct, it was embarrassing and I think the travelling Celtic support were conned as GS has stated that Celtic FC take testimonials very seriously thus Celtic did not allow Maloney, McManus & Marshall travel with the Scotland squad to take part in a friendly tournament in Japan.
    There's still nothing wrong with taking it seriously for the 90 minutes and then giving the home crowd what they want at the end, which clearly happened tonight. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Legends dont stamp on people and get away with it because they are alleged legends. Whilst other so called legends get 6 game bans for stamping and being french.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Legends dont stamp on people and get away with it because they are alleged legends. Whilst other so called legends get 6 game bans for stamping and being french.

agreed. shearer was always arse and elbows in the box, i suppose scoring goals for england and being mr. nice guy to the media gets u carte blanche with the use of ur elbow in the oppositions box

good striker, a smidge over rated for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ah but cantona IS a legend :D

ah but cantona IS a legend

depends on who you talk to. theres a certain bunch of supporters that wear red that think the cashiers in the club "superstore" are legends.

el rabitos wrote:
    depends on who you talk to. theres a certain bunch of supporters that wear red that think the cashiers in the club "superstore" are legends.
    Cantona is a legend no matter who you support.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Ahem, as a Leeds fan I'd like to point out the inaccuracy of that remark.

first thought that comes into my mind when i think of cantona is his dive into that fool at the palace match

second is him stamping on some norwich city players chest

third is him retiring and talking about seagulls

he scored some good goals, was a good presence in uniteds team but he would dissapear for games on end, pop up with a great goal and be the hero again.

too many people are very liberal with the word legend. there are lots of players who played for united i would consider a legend, cantona isnt one of them.

steve bruce, schmeical(sp?) hughes, giggs, beckham, all of those players contributions massively outweigh anything cantona done, but hey, none of them stood on anyones chest so i guess they dont get to make nike adverts

el rabitos wrote:

That alone should get him legend status!

As for Zaph, its okay I understand the Leeds connection!

Cantona was a flawed genius, but his sheer footballing talent was rarely equalled at the time. A class act.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To be fair to him, he was outstanding at Leeds for the short time he was there. I don't think they would have won the league in 1992 had he not joined. He would be more fondly remembered if he'd moved to just about any other team on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

el rabitos wrote:
    first thought that comes into my mind when i think of cantona is his dive into that fool at the palace match

second is him stamping on some norwich city players chest

he scored some good goals, was a good presence in uniteds team but he would dissapear for games on end, pop up with a great goal and be the hero again.

too many people are very liberal with the word legend. there are lots of players who played for united i would consider a legend, cantona isnt one of them.

steve bruce, schmeical(sp?) hughes, giggs, beckham, all of those players contributions massively outweigh anything cantona done, but hey, none of them stood on anyones chest so i guess they dont get to make nike adverts

That palace idiot deserved what he got, Cantona should have been given and award.

There is a campaign at the moment to stamp out racism in football..........................................Cantona was just doing that, literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

10 of the worst...Fouls

Alan Shearer: Newcastle United - Leicester City, April 1998

Never afraid to put himself about a bit, Shearer has such a reputation and standing in the game that critics often suggest he is let off too leniently when he does cross the line.

This unseemly incident would make a key piece of compelling evidence for their prosecution. The England captain had his shirt tugged by Neil Lennon as the two competed for a ball, they fell and then Shearer's boot made a close acquaintance with the prone Lennon's face as he got to his feet again.

Accident or design? The TV pictures looked pretty conclusive. Shearer, involved in the breaking of Ramos Vega's nose earlier in the season, had stamped on Lennon's face. Now he was for it, surely, but the big man wasn't worried.

'I was brought down by Neil Lennon and we both fell clumsily,' Shearer explained afterwards.

'As I tried to get to my feet I had to really tug my left foot free and the momentum of doing this looked on television liked a kick.' Right you are. 'It certainly wasn't and the fact that Neil is virtually unmarked [Lennon walked off with blood dripping from his face] confirms this. If I did accidentally catch him, I certainly did not mean to. I would never try and deliberately hurt a fellow professional.'

And that, apparently, was more than enough for the FA who found the Newcastle man innocent of all charges just days ahead of a Cup final meeting with Manchester United. Hmmm&
    If I remember correctly the rumour was that if he was banned he wouln't play in the world cup - class act :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Many legends of the game are not without their flaws, and Shearer is one of those, just like Keane, Cantona, Bergkamp, Adams etc.

That still does not detract from their legend status. A couple of incidents over 10-15 years at the top and hundreds of games, its a drop in the ocean to be honest.

How anyone could doubt Shearers legend status after looking at his record is beyond me. You may not like the man but you can't doubt his talent with a football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Never liked him but was one of England's greatest ever goalscorers. As arrogant as cunning as he was you have to give him credit for one other thing - He always had a new and novel way of celebrating after a goal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

He was a great goalscorer and theres no argument there. The fact he stood on Neil Lennons face only makes him better in my eyes. I'd stamp on Lennon (the crab footballer) if I got near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    That alone should get him legend status!

As for Zaph, its okay I understand the Leeds connection!

Cantona was a flawed genius, but his sheer footballing talent was rarely equalled at the time. A class act.

I'd disagree. When Cantona played at an international level or in Europe he tended to look ordinary. Even Keane pointed that out in his book.

France weren't even bothered bringing him to Euro '96.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lemlin wrote:
    I'd disagree. When Cantona played at an international level or in Europe he tended to look ordinary. Even Keane pointed that out in his book.

France weren't even bothered bringing him to Euro '96.

Agreed, and the standard of English football at the time Cantona played was no where near the standard it is today. Very good player on his day but wouldnt call him a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Well I'd imagine a Leeds fan wouldn't call him a legend...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 xx eddie

Some people are critical of Cantona for his performances in Europe which they say were below par. He suggested as much himself when United went out to Dortmund one year. Because of this some people say he wasn't a great player. I can understand this but.....from a United fans point of view (and this isn't red blinkers, this is what happens when you find a player that changes your teams fortunes) Cantona arrived and United won the league for the 1st time in 26/27 years. Trophys had started to arrive before that but this was when it really took off for United and they started to dominate English football. Its because of this impact he'll always be a legend to United fans, but maybe not to all football fans. Plus he played the game the way it should be played.

Yeah he kicked people along the way but so do most hero's and at the end of the day these are the guys you want on your team. It wont distract from thier legendary status as Jivin says.

As for Shearer, I never liked him but still wish United had of signed him. Andy Cole scored a lot of goals in that United team and I can only imagine how many Shearer would have gotten and how many more trophys United would have picked up. However, he didn't and Shearer ends his career with only one medal and United missed out on the best goalscorer the Premiership has seen. His record speaks for itself both in domestic and Internationals. A great player.

I'd still take the Frenchman every time (blinkers back on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

As a side note Shearer told the celtic team that they should give a penalty in the last few minutes and that his leg was that bad he would struggle to kick it so could the keeper dive to his right and he would kick it to his left. No wonder he scored so many goals ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well calling someone legend is all a matter of opinion really isn't it?

For me personally Cantona was a seriously over rated player and to come top of polls such as united's best ever player as he has done recently is an insult to those that wore the jersey before him. But I'm not going to get involved in that argument.

My point is that to Chelsea fans, Osgood, Lampard, Terry, Greves, Bonetti etc.. are all legends. Do others seem them as same? Maybe one or two yes but not all. On the same token my mate a Hull fan regularly brings up legends who we have never heard off but to Hull fans they are legends. So each fan will have their own version of who is and isn't a qualifier for this tag.

Overall though I'd say almost all fans would say Shearer was a legend. In my mind the man was pure class and an absolute legend. His goals his skill his ability just made him special and even though I'm not castle or a black burn fan I think its a shame he is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ianomccabe wrote:
    As a side note Shearer told the celtic team that they should give a penalty in the last few minutes and that his leg was that bad he would struggle to kick it so could the keeper dive to his right and he would kick it to his left. No wonder he scored so many goals ;)
    Ferdinand the idiot was supposed to go down in the box the first time but played on and the Celtic players didn't know what to do. :) He ended up getting a goal out of it so he still had to go and win the peno. Marshall kicked the ball to him and he ran in the box and won the peno. Roeder was telling the 4th official how much time to add on so they could get the peno. A bit of a farce. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Sounds like it was funny to watch!

Absolute Legend even if all supporters from teams he didn't play for hate him!

Went back to his boyhood club to try help them win a trophy, despite the best efforts of United to prise him away!

Goal scoring record second to none.

• Advertisement
Advertisement