Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garfish

• 11-05-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Got a bit adventurous at the fishmongers today, picked up a few garfish for a change, they recommended just grilling them (and said the flesh turned green?) , anyone ever cooked them or any suggestions on what i might do with them ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

heres one i came across here
    http://groups.msn.com/PaganHearthRecipes/nordic.msnw?action=view_list&row=27&viewtype=2&sortstring=

[FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]Spring - Fried Garfish filled with parsley[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]Ingredients[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]2 fresh garfish, 1 1/2 kg in all
    1 medium onion
    2 - 3 bunches of parsley
    1 egg
    1 dl dried bread crumbs
    salt and pepper
    butter for frying

Sauce: 50 g butter
    vinegar
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]Procedure[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]Let your fish dealer debone the garfish if the family wants to avoid the green bones. Personally I thing the fish has more flavor with the bonesin. Cut the fish into serving pieces. Peel and dice the onion and mix it with the parsley (pinch off the stems). Stuff the fish with the mixture and a pat of butter. Hold the fish together with a toothpick. Turn the pieces in beaten egg and then ni dried bread crumbs. Fry the fish in fat on a frying pan, 4 - 5 minutes on each side. Take the pieces from the pan and remove the toothpicks. Keep the fish warm. Add the rest of the butter to the pan and melt it together with a bit of vinegar. Serve the mixture as a sauce. This dish tastes excellent with small boiled potatoes and a green salad.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]Serving Information[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]Serves: 4 [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

cheers JD, you ever caught these in Irish waters btw ?

anyway I "devilled" them with a few mackerel fillets, nice, bet eel-ish but quite tasty.

And tis the bones turn green not the flesh :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Advertisement