Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The night before the morning after

Options
  • 11-05-2006 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

start studying

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

What's everyone's pre-exam night routine?

I felt quite wired and 'in the zone' so to speak this morning, but once the sun came out this afternoon i faded. Kinda tossing up whether to go at it more tonight or go to bed early, given that the exam's in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

okay thats just weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I try to go to bed early....around half 11 at the latest. I have a cup of hot coca to wind down before I go sleepy sleeps.Then usually the night before I go over all the main hot contenders that might come up and leave smaller topics to run over the next morning. i usually get up at 6 then just to read through everything. Unfortunatly for me though, the hot contenders that I usually think will come up never come up. So this year Ive decided to beat the examiners at their own game and learn the stuff that I dont think will come up.....and for the last two exams it worked!!!

Why do lecturers say 'we're trying to pass you' when there blatently not??Is this just a medical phenomen or happens in all facultys??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

i also get up around dawn and take my notes to the exam center and study in my car right up till the last second

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

when i have an exam in the afternoon i usually would study until maybe 9/10 and then be up and studying the next morning by 8.
    early to bed early to rise and all that jazz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well I'm nocturnal, so I'll study until I start feeling tired (usually about 11pm-midnight-ish). Then I'll relax the brain by putting on a DVD or playing some games for about an hour or so, then I'll go to bed. I'll get up about 3 hours before the exam starts (I'm paranoid about being late for exams), I'll eat a decent breakfast, and I'll have notes for the 1 hr 30 min journey to college. On the morning of the exam, coffee will be had, and water will be brought to the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm most definitely a crammer. I generally only start studying the evening before an exam. I start by condensing the notes as much as possible, then by hammering away at the exam papers. I keep at it until about 4 in the morning, when I usually grab a 2 hour bit of shut eye. I get up again at 6, and after breakfast and fueling up on coffee, go over everything again. I usually get the bus in during the exams, and most times just relax and enjoy the ride. After the exam, I go home and waste/sleep the afternoon away.
    Doing it this way has worked for me for every exam i've ever been in (including the one today), but I seriously don't advise doing it if you are the type that needs 8 hours sleep before being able to function in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Blowfish wrote:
    I'm most definitely a crammer. I generally only start studying the evening before an exam. I start by condensing the notes as much as possible, then by hammering away at the exam papers. I keep at it until about 4 in the morning, when I usually grab a 2 hour bit of shut eye. I get up again at 6, and after breakfast and fueling up on coffee, go over everything again. I usually get the bus in during the exams, and most times just relax and enjoy the ride. After the exam, I go home and waste/sleep the afternoon away.
    Funny - that is exactly what I do blowfish! Don't even need coffee to stay up all night any more! I'd stay up untill about 3am normally, but the night before exams its bed at half-four/five in the morning and then up by half six. Then a shower and a cup of coffee and ya feel grand! Oh and Red Alert gotta give you a special good luck hug *hugs Peader* you'll be grand! (Remember at this stage after four years you do know the stuff...it's just a case of getting it out of whatever corner of your brain its lodged in and putting it down on the page :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

same as most weeknights tbh... go on boards, play some Pro Evo on the PS2, watch some scrubs, go to sleep late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Routine: dont get enough sleep-either through studying or just can't get asleep
    Morning: not very hungry in comparison to my usual sack of oats, so its usually just a bowl of cornflakes and my glucose solution!!! (brain food!!)
    Then just start looking over my notes on the dart in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I don't know how to study. So I just do stuff a day or two before the exam, occasionally get an early night, last night I was up until 3 and up again at 6.30. I have no problem getting up when I know I have to for exams and stuff, but I'm starting to fade a bit now. Could that be because it's 2am?

I like to have some condensed notes with me, even if I spend all my time talking to people and relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Hmmm, in the restaurant until 1 then home watch a bit of TV then bit of boards. Try and go asleep now then back up at 6.30 for exam at 9.30. Fun, I know. Same routine for exam on Saturday too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

for a 09.30 exam i'm in bed by 00:00, up at 05:30 and cram like a bitch til 8:00 when i get a decent breakfast down me and then off to the rds where i arrive at 8:50 and cram like a bitch til the exam starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Generally, library until 9, home, tea and an episode of either Lost or the West Wing and then bed!

If its in the RDS, up at half 7, leave at 8 and there at half 8 for some quick revision accompanied by a 5 minute break of "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

besty wrote:
    Hmmm, in the restaurant until 1 then home watch a bit of TV then bit of boards. Try and go asleep now then back up at 6.30 for exam at 9.30. Fun, I know. Same routine for exam on Saturday too.
    Don't follow my routine. I bombed my exam today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Restaurant until 11 or so, home, bed, up at 6/6,30 depending on how prepared I am for the exam - didn't get up until 7 today cause i was pretty ready, eat if i can, half the time stress kills my ability to eat, get a bus at 8.10, down in the rds by 8.50, cram until 9.25, go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well my own is start studying, followed 2 minutes later by "ah sure, there's no point being wrecked for the exam. At least if I'm awake for it I'll come up with something", and then I promise myself to get up at 6.00 to study, which incidentally I do not.

I've no idea how I ended up repeating the leaving(last year, just to make it clear that I'm not repeating it NOW) with those fine preparation techniques...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Me....spend about 3 days before the exam telling myself I'm going to study...maybe do one question. Make actual proper notes the day before the exam, start learning them that night, get tired, sleep, get up at five or six, learn notes til 7, drive to rds, study in car from half seven to as close to half nine as possible. say prayer. sit paper. Drive home really slowly cos I'm wrecked and feel like even more of a hazardous road user than usual. Sleep like there's no tomorrow (even though there is often an exam the next day...boo urns).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

elmyra wrote:
    Me....spend about 3 days before the exam telling myself I'm going to study...maybe do one question. Make actual proper notes the day before the exam, start learning them that night, get tired, sleep, get up at five or six, learn notes til 7, drive to rds, study in car from half seven to as close to half nine as possible. say prayer. sit paper. Drive home really slowly cos I'm wrecked and feel like even more of a hazardous road user than usual. Sleep like there's no tomorrow (even though there is often an exam the next day...boo urns).

And yet you pass.

Advertisement