Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving a camper van in Europe

Options
  • 11-05-2006 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I'm just looking to see has anyone any experience driving a camper van in Europe? Did you find it difficult? What were the main things that you had trouble with?

I also assume that under my current licence (standard full Irish car licence) I would still be eligible to drive a camper van as it is a two axel vehicle carry four or less people.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

You should be OK with a van of that size, as long as the vehicle is <3500kg.

Do you have a RHD? I have a LHD and have no problem driving in Ireland. If you have no passenger then some roundabouts and T junctions can be tricky... but the roads there are generally wider, better than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

With dolmen insurance they are now automatically giving free breakdown cover on motorhomes. We joined the AA last year before dolmen brought out the breakdown cover and found them fine for fixing "on the road" i.e. getting low on diesel in isolated ares, but they dont have a tow truck long enough to tow the motorhome if you need to be towed. Their largest tow truck is 16ft. The motorhome is 23 ft!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

I remember before a group of mates was looking into hiring a camper van and heading off around europe. We never did in the end but when looking into it we found that it is important to find out the rates in different countries. For example it was cheaper to hire in germany than other countries such as spain france etc. So if you hire it there (i.e. start your trip in germany) then you can save a few quid. You are not charged for going to other countries. You can also leave it in a different country for a fee.

I think this is the link:

http://www.ideamerge.com/europe_rv_motorhome_rental_camper_van_hire.html

(Just check around all the companies on the web)

but you might want to get booking because of the world cup!!!

Advertisement