Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Online Banking - any good?

Options
  • 11-05-2006 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I've not used BOI online banking myself, but was considering an account (with a credit card).

Could anyone gimme any feedback on it? How does it compare to AIB or the new Ulster Bank? What does it have extra? What does it lack? How up to date is the information on it? What sort of login or AUTH system does it use?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Don't know how it compares to other banks as I've only ever used this one, but I've always found it pretty good. When you register you're given a customer number and a PIN both of which you need to log in. The PIN only requires 3 random digits out of 6. You also have to complete a field with either your birth date or the last 4 digits of the number you registered as your contact number. The information on it usually seems to be up to date, I can't recall ever having had a problem with it. If you want to make payments through it you do need to first register the accounts being paid to with Banking 365 over the phone, but otherwise it's all pretty straightforward. I use it for my current account, but I'd imagine it's pretty similar for credit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks zaph for the feedback. I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a credit card on their online banking with BOI too. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've been using it for years.
    I have my phone, BOI cc and had a loan account registered with it.
    I do the majority of my banking online with it - pay CC bills, lodge to Rabo,
    paid off a car loan with it. I think it's great.
    You do have to ring them to add new accounts, but only the once per account obviously. That's about 10 minutes on hold each time.

The service can be slow, I just log back in later on. To transfer money to a BOI CC takes about 3 working days, to transfer to a BOI a/c like a loan a/c is instant.

And for the CC account itself - it depends on the retailer how quickly the charge shows up. If it's an electronic terminal it's normally very quick. If it's something like Dell where they pre -approve the charge and then apply the charge on shipping - you see your available balance go down temporarily but no charge goes on. You can monitor your account very closely that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I use it a lot.
    One thing (not even relating to online banking) I'll say is, it amazes me how quick lodgements get made with BOI. I lodged 3 cheques the other day, 3 different issuers, and all pops into the account a few hours later. And it's always this way.
    Come home and see it on B365.
    CC payments are handy, it's just a shame it takes 3odd days for it to come up on B365.
    Also you can throw up any term loan accounts and then see the deductions as you pay them off...

Of course I've nothing to compare to, and there's many areas I can think of improvement - but I still like it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

chump wrote:
    CC payments are handy, it's just a shame it takes 3odd days for it to come up on B365.

This is the only problem I've ever had with it, although I don't have any frame of reference with other bank's systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I use it and do most of my banking using it. The problem I find is that after i register other accounts - i cant select them from a list.

For example i have a brother who i transfer money to every now and then - the problem is i have to remember his account number and key it in - rather then having a drop down list where i can select the account to transfer.

Other then that i find it quite good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

that having to 'remember' an 8 digit registered account number is a neat security feature in my opinion :D

AIB personal online banking is a bit better than BoI, about 25% more functionality including IBAN transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

I find 365online quite poor in terms of the layout and design. It looks like 1st year computer science assignment!
    Functionality wise its probably about average. No international transfers and you have to ring them up to register a 3rd party account to transfer too. Thinking of opening up an AIB account as it has international transfers online.

@Sponge Bob
    What's an IBAN transfer?

@kelzer
    AIB make you ring up to register accounts too. Also, you need an annoying code card for international transfer and also for any transfer IF you're just signing up to online banking (I don't need a codecard for anything but changing account details and international transfers - my mam seems to need it for nearly everything).

@sico
    It's a "standard" 3 days with all credit card payments though, isn't it? I find that with AIB too ... it's a pain to have your money in limbo for days without knowing what's going on.

EU transfers.

I know thats with AIB if you organise pay your cc from the online on 12/05 the cc will be paid on 12/05 at midnight, there is no 3 day limbo period.

and aib have this deadly free feature on top of the online interface to protect your credit card details.

see
    http://www.aib.ie/transactonline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

AIB make you ring up to register accounts too. Also, you need an annoying code card for international transfer and also for any transfer IF you're just signing up to online banking

You can add and delete accounts online now.

I really can't see what the issue is with the code card personally. It seems a relatively simple solution to a problem they had to sort out eventually, and is probably a lot less expensive to implement than using digital devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Sponge Bob wrote:
    that having to 'remember' an 8 digit registered account number is a neat security feature in my opinion :D

I think it is a security feature actually.
    They also send you out a written confirmation of having adding the account, security feature too, but if you keep them it saves 'remembering' the number.

Think I'll pop down the bank tomorrow and signup for an account .. hell, I can close it if it doesn't do the job :)

ANyone know how long it takes to get onto the online banking once you signup for an account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have used it for many years also, works fine for paying bills and juggling money between my accouts. Worked fine for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I use AIB online banking, gf uses BOI's. From what i've seen of it I think AIB's wipes the floor with BOI's attempt. Layout and presestaion is far superior. You can add any AIB account you like and see everything that is going on. I have my current a\c, ssia a\c, visa card and car loan all in front of me. (Not being a fanboy here, might move my visa to another provider cause interst rate is fairly high and if i want to get free banking i'll have to get a laser card)

and as mentioned before you can add accounts, including non aib one to transfer money to or just for one off transactions without having to ring up.

There is also the option to do online share dealing but dont use it and from what i gather its not the cheapest but its a nice bit of extra functionality if ye want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I've used BOI online for years and have no complaints, but then I haven't used any other. Also, I've always found their support staff on the telephone banking to be very helpful and contrary to what somebody else said, I've always received a prompt answer...but maybe I've been lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

just an add-on on paying credit card bills on boi online banking. I have my current a/c and credit card with boi. I paid money off on my credit card online on Wed and it showed up on my credit card yesterday less than 24 hrs later. I've never been watching it so closely before, but I needed it to go through, as I needed to use the card again.

essentially the same as AIB so, an important factor in case you get a black mark on your credit record for missing a payment even by only a day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement