Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

picture posting question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

In your case you have attached the picture. This means that you have uploaded the image to the boards.ie server as an attachment (like an email attachment). Therefore an attachment is simply a file that is connected to your post. If you want to put the image in as viewable to your post you need to embed a link to it.

To link to an image you need to make sure that the image is actually on the web somewhere and then enclose the url (address) to the image in [noparse][img][/noparse] tags. To put the image on the internet there are many ways (eg: if you have your own website and are hosting your content, or if you have uploaded it to another website). The easiest way if you aren't sure what I'm talking about is to go to[/img]www.imageshack.us and upload your image there. Then you can get the image url and copy it onto your post.

To copy onto your post you will need to enclose the image address in tags.

Lets take user: smashey's signature image as an example. The url adress for smasheys sig image is http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/1430/smashy8fg.gif

To make it a viewable image in your post you need to enclose it inside the img tags -> [noparse]smashy8fg.gif[/noparse]

If you do that you will get your image onto your post.

However: some fora have images turned off so even if you tag the image correctly (eg: [noparse]image.jpg[/noparse]) it will still just give a link to the picture like the link up there where I talk about smasheys sig.

In this case you can't directly embed the image as the forum does not allow it. The reasons for this is mostly due to keeping off-topicness down to a minimum.

Hope I helped, let me know if you're still confused.

And another thing: make sure your image is not an extremely large filesize. Some people browsing boards have broadband and some have dialup 56k modems. The preferred option is to cater to the lower bandwidthed 56k modem crew which will keep everyone happy as a thread with many pictures is a Try to keep your images to a good compression/physical size amount. ie: 400pixels wide at 72 dpi at 5 compression jpg (numbers off the top of my head, I can't recall the optimum image size for posting on a bulletin board.

Basically you want your filesize (in kilobytes) to be a maximum of 100Kilobytes. (in my opinion). A good process is to make a note of how long it is taking you to upload the file onto the web - if it is taking you ages then thiink about the people that will be downloading it (to view it) - it will take them some time to download it too.

Of course there are threads that encourage large, good quality images but they make sure to note this in the thread title to warn 56k modem users about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Thank You Gordan;) will give it a shot

Advertisement