Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood pellet and solar panel system integration?

Options
  • 11-05-2006 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I have been doing a lot of research into both wood pellet boilers and solar heating systems.
    Can these systems be integrated to work together and provide all necessary heating requirements for a house?

I am just about to start a new build and have more or less ruled out oil.. Wood pellet seems like an attractive alternative from what i have read so far. Are solar panels any advantage?
    My main query is can they work together succesfully and how?
    Where can i obtain some more info?

So many questions so little time!!!
    Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Fergal,

Solar and wood pellet are compatible in much the same way as oil and gas is, they don't actually overlap because your storage tank should have two coils, one for the Solar and the second for the boiler.

Evergreen has posted an interesting table on the payback time comparing Solar with different heating systems, I beleive his figures are along the lines that Solar will have a longer payback time when pellet is the primary heating system.

My advice where Solar is concerned is to make sure the system is a quality one, I did see a 2 square metre panel costing just in excess of €600.00, the sad thing is a very important part of the tubes depends on rubber which will break down in a very short time when subjected to U/V rays.

I hope the above is some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fergal28_01

Thanks for the tips, still very unsure though.:confused:
    Is it not possible to have a system that uses a pellet burner that can switch on or off according to how the solar heating is performing.
    Can they interact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi fergal,

I believe your question is more along the lines of will a boiler swith on even if the Solar has already heated the water in the cylinder ?

That is taken care of by your thermostats, if the cylinder doesn't call for heat then the boiler won't switch on, at worst if the boiler did switch on the water temperature at the return will indicate the water in the cylinder has already reached your pre-set temperature and switch off.

I hope that makes sense.

Advertisement