Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you got €600 for a console + games?

Options
  • 11-05-2006 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Well have you ?

Have you €600 for a console ? 74 votes

yes PS3 and 1 game woohoo
    0% 0 votes
    **** no
    14% 11 votes
    Wii and Xbox360.....hmmmm
    58% 43 votes
    Wii and beer and a few nights out and maybe a holiday
    27% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

KdjaC wrote:
    Well have you ?

Absolutely not, not a chance in hell of me buying this. I'm very happy with my 360 so I'm not changing/trading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Lord no. I made this mistake when I bought the PS2 at launch.

Unless there's half a dozen games that I cannot wait to play at launch, and I highly doubt this, I won't buy it until it's reasonably priced. Considering the use my current consoles get, a wii would be a much more sensible option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

€600 is way too much for a games console... I think I can wait for the first price drop... I didn't get a PS2 until about half way though it's life and I only got an Xbox last year...

Got a 360 at launch... possibly not the brightest idea... it gets very little use.

I will get the Wii at launch though... I do enjoy Zelda and Metroid a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

No way.

Hopefully I'll get enough money toghter over the summer to get a Wii and a 360 if they get a price drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ya but i wouldnt pay it Iv been trying to convince myself to upgrade my pc for 1 and a half years :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

bizmark wrote:
    Ya but i wouldnt pay it Iv been trying to convince myself to upgrade my pc for 1 and a half years :eek:

But you have a 360?

Just judging for arguments sake the irish console game who has the internets reaction to this price.

Tbh most will buy if its marketted as the Xmas No 1 toy, i confess i sold an 360 for double its price at launch, will others be willing to pay 600 + off me this year :D

kdjac

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Meh - I have me pc and i'm happy but every time i see a premium 360 in stock in virgin, xtra vision or what have you I always seriously consider it...Its 400 quid. 4 nights out which I'd now happily spend in with the 360..but..

every time, do you know what stops me? having to go and spend 1000+ on a decent HDTV to play it on. (I'm a sucker for wanting it perfect)..I don't see the 360 as €409 - i see it as €1409...

(And i've a 22" crt monitor with dual inputs that I could use - but console = couch...need a tv)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

KdjaC wrote:
    But you have a 360?
    kdjac

Ya my brother bought that i havent bought any consoles since the n64 but i do get free access to the 360 and his growing libery of games so its win win ;) thought i told you that ?.

Ill more than likely get a nintendo wii for myself if the rummored price is right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i do have the money but wouldn't pay it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i probably would have the money but the family would all be getting lynx sets for christmas.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    i probably would have the money but the family would all be getting lynx sets for christmas.
    Atari Lynx sets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Vegeta wrote:
    i do have the money but wouldn't pay it

gis a lend?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm completely broke now, but will be working during the summer. I prob will buy a Wii, but am not quite sure about a PS3. If they put a fully fledged version of Linux on it then definitely yes, because It would then be the equivalent of buying a PC worth a couple of grand for 600, which also happened to play some really cool games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I didn't think about it like that when I heard the price. I thought, wow, €600 for a console. I didn't think console + games + HDTV (remember when this used to be just a memory card?).

I don't have the money, and I'm not going to buy another Sony console at launch like I did with the PS2.... Unless of course there'll be mad shortages and I'll make a killing on eBay. Damn ethics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Fuck no, but I can always prepare.

Yet the PS3 doesn't look like it's going to have that killer launch lineup... harks back to when the PS2 was originally released in 2000.

I think as a rule, I will no longer buy consoles in the launch period. Even getting a DS was risky when I bought one in 2004. While I mainly got it for the GBA capabilities, the only decent DS game available was... a remake of Super Mario 64. That was poor judgement.

I bought a CD32 at launch... what on Earth was I thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I could afford it if I wanted it but I will be waiting to see what happens.. I bought the 360 at launch and will be buying the Wii though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Heh heh, to admit buying a 360 at launch is like standing up and introducing yourself at an AA meeting (I'm one of them). Big mistake, I shouldn't have bought one; a very underwhelming console, it's hardly been used (even when I bought the magical Oblivion *cough* Morrowind 1.5 *cough*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

it's a playstation :rolleyes:

360+Wii is very inviting tbqh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

The PS3 isn't just a games console, it'll also play HD DVD's and Blu-Ray disc, plus the €600 model comes with a 60GB hard drive, you're future proofing yourself. I have the money to get one, but I'm not bothered, much rather get a Wii.

Unless of course the PS3 launch titles are must have's, like MGS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

I can see myself shelling out €600 to get it at launch then taking it back home and immediatly flogging it on ebay. Almost guaranteed to make €100-200 which will practically pay for a Wii. Tempting, very tempting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Seems to be a popular decision for people regarding the PS3 and its launch, buying one just to make a profit on eBay!. There does seem to be an awful lack of hype surrounding the PS3 despite it being the new 'cutting edge' Sony console, maybe what I said is true?, maybe the price is just too ridiculous (not factoring in the obligatory HDTV if you don't have one, who'g going to want to shell out €600 on a PS3 to play on a 14" Philips?:rolleyes:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well I've become a chronic early adopter recently, I got my 360 at launch, I got my DS and PSP at their respective Japanese launches. I did plan to get both the Wii and PS3 at launch but 600 is a hell of a lot to pay. I really have to see how things pan out. I definitely intend to own a PS3 at some point in the future but there may be other things more worthy of 600 euro at its launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I bought a CD32 at launch... what on Earth was I thinking?

the same could be said for any console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

the second poll option is exactly what came into my head when i read this thread title:p
    the maximum i'm willing to spend is €400, and i expect to get at least an extra controller and game for that money (*looks at Wii hopefully)
    €600 is ****ing stupid money to be paying to play a few games, even €400 seems a little insane.
    by the time Resi5 and GTA4 come out (imo, the only 2 must have titles outside of the Wii's lineup), the PS3 and 360 should hopefully both be a bit more affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Anybody know how much the games are gonna be for the thing?
    The games for the 360 are expensive enough, I can only imagine that these things are gonna be worse!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Have the money, but probably won't shell out until the like of MGS4/FFXIII come out.

Besides, I have enough to keep me going on the PS2 (FFXII, DragonQuest, Resi4) and DS and PC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Juggalo wrote:
    The PS3 isn't just a games console, it'll also play HD DVD's and Blu-Ray disc, plus the €600 model comes with a 60GB hard drive, you're future proofing yourself. I have the money to get one, but I'm not bothered, much rather get a Wii.

Unless of course the PS3 launch titles are must have's, like MGS4.
    The PS3 doesn't play HD-DVD's and MGS4 is out in 2007. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I've possibly been living under a rock, but what is Wii ? Has Nintendo respelt Wevilution ?

Advertisement