Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you got €600 for a console + games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

TinCool wrote:
    I've possibly been living under a rock, but what is Wii ? Has Nintendo respelt Wevilution ?
    It must have been a huge rock. There was a lot of bitching about it when it happened.

http://wii.nintendo.com/
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054923689
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054923647

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

As we're both gamers I get to split all these type of costs (well, except for PCs, couldn't live with one PC for both of us tbh), but still... 600?

Unless the launch titles are reeaally good, I probably won't get it until the price drops a bit, but we shall see. Have a 360 and I'll be getting a Wii, PS3 will really depend on what titles it'll have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unless there's something of Mario 64 proportions at launch I won't be getting one until there is a significant price drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

If I did some good saving this summer I could do...but I'll probably wait til next year, and hopefully some price drops. Might buy a DS lite to tide me over if they hit sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gta 4 isn't out for over a year then? Wouldn't be rushed into buying any console before then. I'll see what they're like around that time and can see myself getting a 360 because of Sony's ridiculous price.

Actually does the 360 support wifi out of the box? I've seen wireless adapters for them on sale for over €80 but am wondering if that is for both systems or just for the core system. I wouldn't bother getting a console without wifi so if it comes as standard on the ps3 and not on the 360 then I'd be alot less likely to get a 360.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Wireless adapter is extra for both of the 360 systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Vegeta wrote:
    i do have the money but wouldn't pay it

Bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Yes. will be getting this on launch day, put off getting the 360(wont till MS drop the price-prob the wk PS3 comes out >bastards! :(:D )

only thing that would stop day1 purchase is shag all AAA titles out ?:|
    ....who am i kidding! Im getting the wonga version on launch.
    :)
    EDIT! how is this different to the 360 +1 game (€600+)?
    (not the stupid version btw (Core))

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

We have a 360 in the house, my brother bought it. I will probably get a Wii on launch day and pick up a PS3 after the first price drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I could buy one, but I won't. Maybe when the price has dropped a good bit.

I'll buy a Wii first chance I get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

deRanged wrote:
    I could buy one, but I won't. Maybe when the price has dropped a good bit.

I'll buy a Wii first chance I get.

I will buy it before the end of 2007, but i already have a 360, and the ps3 is retardly priced. 360 is a better option tbh, its €200 cheaper, it will have gta, and it has live!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i have a 360 and good PC right now. i don't have €600 floating around to buy a ps3. but because sony announced it now, i can work over the summer and save for it. i bet millions of people are thinking the exact same thing too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think that the high price point will effectively price the system out of the younger generation market. The people who can afford it will be 20 or above and this is a small market compared to kids and teenagers. I'd say that Nintendo and Microsoft with their affordable system will clean up this market.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

if memory serves the ps2 was fairly expensive at launch too
    (roughly 500 euro ?)
    until they were suddenly able to reduce their "costs" and the price just before the competition came out!;) ( same thing will happen with the xbox360 this time around)

ill be buying the wii!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can see parents being hassled this Christmas to a certain extent and there are enough fools waiting to be parted with their money at little Billy/Jonny/Marys behest, that said it'll be 2007 before it really impacts on the Christmas market.
    The very fact that a PS3 id out will damage 360 sales, folks are simply too happy with their PS2s, what with another GTA about to pop up, God Of War and doubtless another iteration or two of Fifa, no reason to spring for the 360 and simply wait til the PS3 is cheaper, precisely what happened to the DC, folk were convinced that something better was around the corner amd they stayed away from the format in their droves.
    With a 3 year old I just don;t have the finance to buy both the Wii and the PS3 and I simply believe that the Wii will offer a sufficiently different gaming experience and I already have a 360.
    If the launch line up of the PS3 is awesome I will probably just sell a kidney and buy one but I ahve never been a big fan of the later MGS titles and Killzone sucked the first time, they had better start impressing me sometime soon.

The other thing is that with interest rates and folks watching their pennies a little closer than last year it may make folk think a little harder before digging deep this Christmas, perhaps, as Retrogamer has said, the more affordable but new systems from Ninty and MS will be more attractive.

My question is will the Wii be doomed to be labelled as a kids machine, as the 'cube was before it?

BOHSBOHS wrote:
    if memory serves the ps2 was fairly expensive at launch too
    (roughly 500 euro ?)
    until they were suddenly able to reduce their "costs" and the price just before the competition came out!;) ( same thing will happen with the xbox360 this time around)

ill be buying the wii!!!

True the 360 will prolly price drop, but I still think €400 is a fair price tbh. now €600 is takin the piss, I dont care if it has an extra 40GB, it's online service will find it difficult to rival xbox live at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I might try to buy one for me, and one for ebay, and perhaps the latter will cover the cost of both ;)

But seriously, yeah, I have €600 for the PS3. I'm dying for HD movies for my projector, and having a PS3 and a Blu-ray player wrapped into one for that price makes it quite good value when you want that hd player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

EDIT! how is this different to the 360 +1 game (€600+)?
    (not the stupid version btw (Core))

Basic addition will reveal quite a lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Whats a Wii ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

More info about pre orders from http://www.gamestation.co.uk/

# The £20 deposit comes off the price of the console, so you'll be paying £404.99 when you get it.
    # The £20 deposit is refundable.
    # The deposit is exactly £20. No more, no less.
    # The price of the PS3 may change, however you'll never have to pay more than the £404.99. If the price goes up, GameStation will honour the original price. If it goes down, you'll get the console at the cheaper price.
    # Games are prices between £49.99 and £54.99.
    # GameStation cannot garauntee when you'll get your machine, but it is on a company wide first come, first served basis.
    # Only the black 60gb version is available in the UK at launch.

I know they're are only early prices but €75 - €80 a game and only the €600 version available on launch.

:eek: :eek:

EDIT: The Wii is the new name for the revolution Nintendo's new console. http://wii.nintendo.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wii and beer for me :)
    I'm not going to go for either of the other 2 for a good while.. the PS3 has an absolutely insane pricetag, the Xbox 360 doesn't have enough games that interest me, plus I'm working towards getting a Macbook Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Got my 360 so it will be a wii + games (both platforms).

(It's so hard to avoid lame puns when using "wii" in any sentence, maybe it's just me)

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I remember the PS2 was about IRL£400 when it came out.

That batch all had the 'Disc Read Error' problem and were destined to fail after ~18months. My problem happened before Sony were admitting to it so I opened it up myself and voided the warranty. I managed to fix it so that it could read CDs but not DVDs and had to buy a new one for GTA3 etc.

Lesson learnt: Don't buy Sony, ESPECIALLY not at launch.

Last year I was all PS3 though but so little has happened in the last year. Their hype campaign peaked too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

I probably won't even bother with a PS3, just found out GTA4 will be out on XBOX 360 and a new game called Saint's Row, kinda similiar is also getting released for the 360. I'm just gonna get a 360 and a Wii.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Juggalo wrote:
    Just found out GTA4 will be out on XBOX 360 and Saint's Row

...and CrackDown, from (some of) the makers of GTA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's definitely going to take a killer app for me to fork out 600 notes...I'd have the money, but I'd still have to justify spending it...next gen DVD playback swings it for me a little, plus the sony fanboi in me.
    Nintendo was always something I did at someone else's house, never had an xbox...always been PC/PS1/2 for me. That said, the Wii controller and inherent gameplay might tempt me (lightsabre battles?)

That pre-order post above isn't encouraging; call me nuts but if I'm forking out the readies for this bad boy, I want to choose the damn colour and whther or not I even need a 60gb disc...so I likely won't be buying it at launch unless wipeout future is a launch title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I'll probably get one eventually, but not till I see a decent line up of games that I would be willing to pay the extra money for. One of the only reasons I haven't forked out for a 360 yet is that I don't see anything worth paying €70+ for. I don't think €600 is too much for what you get, but to be honest I would sooner pay that much to upgrade my PC than for a new console.

If I had a HDTV and the need for an entertainment centre thing(which I don't thanks to the wonders of salling clicker and a wireless vga sender) I'd be totally willing to pay the €600, I don't know if I would be even slightly tempted to go for the €500 mode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

One thing I'll say is that if the €500 version is available here, it is that which you should be comparing to the 360, not the €600 version. The €500 version is "gimped" versus the €600 PS3, but not versus the €400 360, and it also comes with a Blu-ray player and all the other attractions a PS3 might have over a 360. If you're already willing to drop €400 on a console, another €100 for the greater value presented by PS3 might be more palletable.

LookingFor wrote:
    One thing I'll say is that if the €500 version is available here, it is that which you should be comparing to the 360, not the €600 version. The €500 version is "gimped" versus the €600 PS3, but not versus the €400 360, and it also comes with a Blu-ray player and all the other attractions a PS3 might have over a 360. If you're already willing to drop €400 on a console, another €100 for the greater value presented by PS3 might be more palletable.

Depends what type of gamer you are, are with the vast majority of irish gamers playing gta/fifa/etc.... the'll save there €100 and get a 360, unless of course (which is in fact more likely) they must buy the playstation brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I think that the high price point will effectively price the system out of the younger generation market. The people who can afford it will be 20 or above and this is a small market compared to kids and teenagers.

first, never underestimate the power of mammy and daddy.

second, i do recall a big survey saying that most gamers these days are between 18 and 35 anyway. i.e. the group of people in society who HAVE disposable income.

the same disposable income that sold the PSP at €250, the iPod at €300+ and the vast array of mobile phones that cost the same idea of price.

PS2 on it's launch was expensive and look at it now. make no mistake, ps3 will sell out no problem, despite the €600 pricetag.
    (It's so hard to avoid lame puns when using "wii" in any sentence, maybe it's just me)

listening to all the podcasts/videocasts over the last week has been funny.. just for the sheer number of double-entendre's etc. :D

Advertisement