Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you got €600 for a console + games?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Depends what type of gamer you are, are with the vast majority of irish gamers playing gta/fifa/etc.... the'll save there €100 and get a 360, unless of course (which is in fact more likely) they must buy the playstation brand.

I know, I'm just saying the type of person who drops €400 on a console is probably pretty value-sensitive rather than price-sensitive, and could possibly be quite easily persuaded of the merits of dropping another €100 for the cheaper PS3 pack. We're not talking about the mass market really at either of these pricepoints i.e. "the vast majority of irish gamers". I think also later when we get to a situation where 360 might be €200 and PS3 €300 it'll be a lot easier to convince people of the value of the latter. It's easier to hold on to a premium at these kinds of prices, since you're not breaking so many psychological barriers for people anymore. Sony does have experience marketing their stuff at a premium, and that might get easier to do has HDTV adoption goes up (and thus the relevance of things like Blu-ray etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

LookingFor wrote:
    I know, I'm just saying the type of person who drops €400 on a console is probably pretty value-sensitive rather than price-sensitive, and could possibly be quite easily persuaded of the merits of dropping another €100 for the cheaper PS3 pack. We're not talking about the mass market really at either of these pricepoints i.e. "the vast majority of irish gamers". I think also later when we get to a situation where 360 might be €200 and PS3 €300 it'll be a lot easier to convince people of the value of the latter. It's easier to hold on to a premium at these kinds of prices, since you're not breaking so many psychological barriers for people anymore. Sony does have experience marketing their stuff at a premium, and that might get easier to do has HDTV adoption goes up (and thus the relevance of things like Blu-ray etc.).

Yeah man, but how relevant IS hdtv, and blu-ray for causal-likely-to-buy sony-branded-console-people? sure tech heads will go out and buy HD, and as widescreen eventually starts to die, and flat screen hdtv's come into the market, I still honestly dont think blu-ray (in Ireland) will be at big selling point at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I think the PS3 is a selling point for blu ray, rather than vice versa. Sneak the units in as game machines, when HD tvs are more regular, people already have the players. I think the number of people who'll buy a PS3 on the strength of Blu ray at this point will be very low, however it could become an asset in the future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Crucifix wrote:
    I think the PS3 is a selling point for blu ray, rather than vice versa. Sneak the units in as game machines, when HD tvs are more regular, people already have the players. I think the number of people who'll buy a PS3 on the strength of Blu ray at this point will be very low, however it could become an asset in the future.

True, if (and when) the ps3 sales in big numbers it will mean blu ray will have a pre-installed userbase at whatever point HighDef TV's and video playback reaches the mass market.

(OT; but I still think HDDVD will win, but mainly because Sony have a terrible track record with new formats - BETA, MD, UMD :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

It'd be a waste to buy one at launch, because the launch titles aren't great and the price will go down within a year anyway. Besides, I don't have a HDTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'd say the biggest loss to Sony will probably come from people buying their second consoles. Most Sony fans will buy the PS3 no matter how much it cost, but the price of the PS3 will put off the Xbox and Ninty fans who are looking to buy a second console.

Advertisement