Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes, wtf?!

• 12-05-2006 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

I think this is probably the best forum for this, but anyway..............

What, to you makes clothes "look good". I don't mean what style do you prefer, but what is it about a fashionable outfit that is aesthetically pleasing.

To me almost all clothes look alright/unnoticeable, I never take notice of what somebody is wearing, so I'm usually lost when people make comments about why such and such an item looks bad.

So I thought this might be a good place to ask what is it with people and fashion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Tricky question. I think it raises broader questions about aesthetics, though. What makes a good painting? A good poem? And so on. People can come up with more or less elaborate theories and formulae on what makes a good outfit but ultimately, it seems to be purely subjective to me. This is further complicated in that there tend to be broad agreements amongst people about certain things looking good at a given time (so, maybe you get a point in time where many people want to wear say, stone-wash denim) and then these agreements are in a constant flux as well due to a whole bunch of circumstances (desire for novelty, new clothing technology, new ideas, recycling of old ideas etc etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Well for me its more about the quality of the clothes. I find there is such a huge difference between, for example, jeans in BT's and Dunnes(not just price) i just cant wear cheap jeans, simply not comfortable in them>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭pantar_dubh

Unfortunately a lot of these choices are made for us by fashion leaders, magazines, celebrities, clothing designers, clothing manufacturers, retail stores, fashion marketing outfits, employers, your budget, and worst of all, peer pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well unlike Tripper... i find the opposite is true. Jeans etc from Penneys and Dunnes etc are not only just as comfortable.. they are sometimes better looking that €50+ pairs from big brands.

In fact i watched a show a few years back that brought people in off the street and got them to try figure out which were brand jeans and which were cheapy £5 stg jeans. Would you believe that in most cases they thought the brand jeans were the cheap ones (labels obviously removed/covered).

I personally wear what looks good but does not cost alot. I have no interest in paying lots of money for something i can get identical quality etc for a fraction of the price.

Oh and my choice is nothing to do with any financial status.. if i wanted i could buy all the brand name clothes i want. I do not want to though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

I dunno in my opinion you can spend your own money on whatever you want and i dislike people who judge others just because they rather spend more on clothes than others..But i think people who buy clothes just BECAUSE they are labelled should be shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

*Tripper* wrote:
    Well for me its more about the quality of the clothes. I find there is such a huge difference between, for example, jeans in BT's and Dunnes(not just price) i just cant wear cheap jeans, simply not comfortable in them>
    jesus, thats a serious esteem issue you have there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

The colour, the cut/shape and the other clothes that they are worn with are the defining factor in what makes clothes look good. Accessories like belts/jewellery can make clothes look a lot better as well I reckon. Fashion ultimately doesn't have too much to do with whether they look good or not - it just dictates how popular they are! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

It depends on what they look like whether or not i buy them. I try if i like then i buy.

I have my miss sixty jeans, freesoul, levi, lee, wrangler, rock and republic ( i like lots of clothes just takin jeans as an example). I have pair of jeans i got in pennys for 15 euro i love just as much! I have branded clothes but i only have lots of pennys, dunnes gear too. Don't feel ne less lovely in less expensive clothes :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Something can look great if you wear it with the right shoes, jacket etc and awful if you don't.

Also, I think it has a lot to do with attitude. If you love something and feel good when you wear it (although not in an 'I love me who do you love' kind of way that is) then you carry it off better. People with different personalities will wear different styles because it's a way of expressing who you are. I had a friend who did the boho chic things so well, and when I tried I looked like I lived in a caravan ;) That was the end of that look for me, hehe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

*Tripper* wrote:

Sounds very like my brother, if they are Dunnes or Pennys..no way will he wear them and he admits it too. I find them just fine, couldnt care less what brand they were, as long as they fit comfortably. Too many people buy Levis or whatever just for the sake of the label. Down with this sort of thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

the cut.. or the fit of the clothes can really change the look of it.. then colour..

Advertisement