Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Pistol range - Wicklow?

Options
  • 12-05-2006 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭

I held a firearms cert. years ago and am looking for a pistol or air pistol club in Wicklow that I could join. I have recently discovered that my father's pistols are still in safekeeping in Garda headquarters (since 1972) and would like to take up the sport again. Not sure if the 9mm pistol will be approved, but would welcome views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I understand Rathdrum are reopening their air rifle range, you might check with them if they can handle air pistols. I know the range isn't certified for fullbores thought. Hilltop seems to be the best fullbore pistol range available in Wicklow right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Sparks wrote:
    I understand Rathdrum are reopening their air rifle range, you might check with them if they can handle air pistols. I know the range isn't certified for fullbores thought. Hilltop seems to be the best fullbore pistol range available in Wicklow right now.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Is Hilltop the place where the quad biking takes place (NetwtownMK)? I have had a note from the Super in Bray which says I can apply for a licence for the air pistol but that he considers the 9mm Star not to be a sporting weapon. Any views on whether 9mm semi-auto pistols are allowable? I'm really only interested in target shooting anyway so the 9mm is not really an issue for me. I would like to be able to sell it on, though rather than leave it rusting away in Garda HQ!

I'm pretty sure that that's Hilltop allright.

There's already been an air-pistol licenced out of Bray (mine) so they know what those are; but they might not be so familiar with 9mm pistols. However, many 9mm semi-auto pistols have already been licenced around the country for target shooting (just not ISSF style target shooting - look at the IPSA website or the threads on this forum on practical pistol for examples) so there's precedence for licencing them. However, under the current law, he's the final authority on licencing them, so unless you've money to burn and like the High Court, try talking to him about it first and try to reach an arrangement you can both live with. You will probably have to get secure storage sorted out first - that seems to have meant a gun safe with a monitored alarm system for the house and one zone of that alarm explicitly for the safe for other people so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

chould you get an air pistol
    and sell the 9mm and use the funds redemed from the 9mm to buy the air pistol

• Advertisement

Thanks Sparks. I'll call up to Hilltop and have a look. Hope I wouldn't be asked to get a monitored alarm for single-shot air pistol, though! I appreciate that the gun safe has to be bought, though. As you are in the same area (Greystones) as me I'd welcome the chance of a chat. I have no idea what condition this Walther air pistol is in after nearly 34 years storage in Garda HQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

you chould always go and have a look

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

fat-tony wrote:
    Thanks Sparks. I'll call up to Hilltop and have a look. Hope I wouldn't be asked to get a monitored alarm for single-shot air pistol, though! I appreciate that the gun safe has to be bought, though. As you are in the same area (Greystones) as me I'd welcome the chance of a chat. I have no idea what condition this Walther air pistol is in after nearly 34 years storage in Garda HQ!

Pat Cooke is the man to speak at Hilltop.
    See http://www.pcquad.com for contact details.

With regard to your query on the necessity for a monitored alarm, I would be very suprised if your Supt. looks for this for an air pistol (I picked up my fifth firearm cert last Wednesday, and the subject of a monitored alarm has never been raised).

Samson - thanks for the info. I will call up to Hilltop later today (Sat).

I certainly didn't have to get a monitored alarm for the air pistol tony - just the rifle safe I already have, though I'm looking to get a new safe from woodies to keep it in as the rifle safe isn't a great fit for air pistols.

• Advertisement

maglite wrote:
    you chould always go and have a look
    Thanks, Maglite. I've written to the Gardai to ask to inspect the condition of the pistols, though I heard from Pat Cooke in Hilltop that they were packed in grease back in '72 so should be in good nick. The rubber O rings and seals in the Walther air pistol may have deteriorated, though. I'm not sure what the situation is with spares for the Walther. I'm guessing that it's an LP3 model - I've asked the firearm stores to let me know what model it is so I can search for parts.

Advertisement