Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utv throttling bandwidth?

• 12-05-2006 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Anybody experiencing unusually slow downloading speeds on bittorrent with utv clicksilver?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 giancaldo

Actually, I'm pretty sure some throttling is going on.

I opened port 443 and the speeds jumped from less than 20k/sec to over 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 flynners

giancaldo wrote:
    Actually, I'm pretty sure some throttling is going on.

I opened port 443 and the speeds jumped from less than 20k/sec to over 100.

how did you do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 giancaldo

Sorry for the incorrect post. I was wrong in my assumption that utv were throttling p2p connections. Opening port 443 only seemed to improve my Knoppix download speed, and not that of my other downlaods. I checked the speeds on my laptop and I seem to be getting a total of well over 100k on average. It must be my tcp settings or something that are messed up as I cant connect to more than a couple of peers at any one time. It all happened after I installed Azureus, dont know what it did to my comp. Anyway, sorry for jumping to such a conclusion so hastely.

Opening up port 443 is fairly easy. You need to setup port forwarding in your router (www.portforward.com) for port 443 and your local IP address. Then you need to change the setting in your bittorrent client to use port 443. Port 443 is usually used for secure http traffic and would unlikely be throttled by an ISP. However, since utv dont seem to throttle their bandwidth it would be fairly useless and generally not a good idea to use this port.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I recently cahnged the port that I forward bittorrents. I noticed an instantaneous improvement. I then changed from Azureus to uTorrent and noticed a phenomenal improvement. Consistently getting speeds 160-205kB/s, and that's within about 5 minutes of starting a torrent.

Advertisement