Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a name for me?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Haha, and not let people try to dissuade me? :P

Aha! You're flirting with religion, then? Or atheism. Or both! You tart!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A gentleman/lady never tells...
    Although Hindu works it's hands well and Atheism is pretty hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

lol ;)

You're probably an "alatrist".

Monolatrist being apparently a person who acknowledges the existence (or possible existence) of other gods, but only worships one, so an alatrist would be someone who acknowledges the existence (or possible existence) of many gods, but doesn't worship any.

pleased,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So that would make all agnostics alatrists? Or not...Would agnostics and alatrists be just very similar but if a god was definitely found to exist somehow, an alatrist would not worship it but an agnostic might?

So that would make all agnostics alatrists? Or not...Would agnostics and alatrists be just very similar but if a god was definitely found to exist somehow, an alatrist would not worship it but an agnostic might?

I would imagine the definite existence of a god would split the agnostics into theists and alatrists. Atheists, presumably, would mostly become alatrists, except for a few who became theists.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's all academic really, have a look who's on the ban list.
    Third from bottom at the moment, but that will change.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

Scofflaw wrote:
    I would imagine the definite existence of a god would split the agnostics into theists and alatrists. Atheists, presumably, would mostly become alatrists, except for a few who became theists.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    I mean atm, there is no god proven. So, at the moment, my same question.
    I think I got it right there...

Almighty god. :eek:

I mean atm, there is no god proven. So, at the moment, my same question.
    I think I got it right there...

Sorry, yes, you had it right. There is a difference - agnostics might worship a god if one were proven - which makes them unconvinced theists. Alatrists wouldn't worship a god even if one were proven to exist.

I'm pretty firmly in the alatrist camp, I think. I don't think we can disprove God, and I think, once posited, we cannot simply dismiss God as a silly proposition (I've had this argument with Wicknight several times).

Nevertheless, the only kind of God I could think of worshipping would be one that didn't want or require worship, so, alatrist me. If the Biblical deity turns out to exist, then I'll be going dowwwwn - hopefully with some kind of jaunty wave.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

I don't hink we can dismiss a god either, maybe one that we would worship though. Although, how do we know there is not one we would not worship. ;)
    I'll see you on that day, jaunty wave at hand.

I guess it is agnostic/alatrist/Tartheist Aldariongnostic Maximus then. Bring on the next census, I'm ready!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

wow..your crazy

Where's my crazy?
    (You're :P)

Anyway, thanks Scofflaw, I believe 'Alatrist' describes me the best.
    It's not a particularily 'real' term so I'll just say agnostic to people for simplicity(Although so many poeple don't know what that is). Alatrist is more accurate.

Advertisement