Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock looketh the business..

Options
  • 12-05-2006 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

'spiritual' sequel to system shock from the screens i've seen on gamespot this one, i cannot wait for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I'd almost forgotten about this until I saw the gamespot article last night. Hopefully it'll be as freaky as system shock was :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Yeah System Shock was the business, absolutely fantastic game, ooooo i can just imagine a remake with pretty graphics and better physics. Those evil iron women things and the monkeys!!!! Weird what happened to the Series though, the name is in limbo now...

Unfortunately System Shock 2 doesn't work on windows XP, anyonw know how i can get past this, or but a new cheap version?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

jomanji wrote:
    Yeah, I'd almost forgotten about this until I saw the gamespot article last night. Hopefully it'll be as freaky as system shock was :)

apparently listening to the devs talk its going to be as scary as possible..bring it on i say!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yeah System Shock was the business, absolutely fantastic game, ooooo i can just imagine a remake with pretty graphics and better physics. Those evil iron women things and the monkeys!!!! Weird what happened to the Series though, the name is in limbo now...

Unfortunately System Shock 2 doesn't work on windows XP, anyonw know how i can get past this, or but a new cheap version?

Thats not true - I replayed it about 6 months ago without any problems that I can recall. I'm sure if you google around a bit, you can get it to work. I can't really remember but perhaps I ran it under Dosbox. You can get it here

Incidently, the graphics have dated a little obviously but its amazing how awesome this game still is - leaves most current games for dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Maximilian wrote:
    the graphics have dated a little obviously

System Shock 2 Texture Upgrade Project

shatners basoon:
    How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows2000/XP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Unfortunately System Shock 2 doesn't work on windows XP, anyone know how i can get past this, or but a new cheap version?

Theres a patch to get SS2 working under windows. Google around and you should find it. Also google for System Shock 2 Rebirth - it a set of updated textures that improves the visuals in the game a bit.

I played it on XP about a year and a half back so I know this can be done. Its a bit fiddly but boy is it worth it. It still ranks as one of my all time great gaming experiences even though I didn't get to play it until the era of Doom3 and HL2.

Unfortunately its still almost impossible to get a legal copy due to some kind of copyright libo. I bought mine on Ebay but I had to pay dearly for it.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The game is generally regarded as Abandonware, which is a bit of a legal grey area. Its technically illegal to distribute it, yet it is highly unlikely you could be prosecuted by virtue of the fact that it is no longer available for purchase and you are not causing loss to the copyright owner. You can actually download the game from Home of the Underdogs, which is probably the best known Abandonware site.

Incidently, the site is amazing for picking up some really good long lost games. I personally love the old Infocom games :)

Advertisement