Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any slow cooker/Crockpot recipes?

• 12-05-2006 9:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any good slow cooker/Crockpot recipes idea's? Would really like to make nice simple curry if anyone has any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Sorry...can't help on this one. Never used a crockpot / slow-cooker.

About the slowest I cook is 3-5 hours for a curry / goulash...but thats in a regular pot on a regular cooker.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It seems to me that if you were going to go to the trouble of making a decent curry, all the preparation time including all the browning etc. would outweigh the advantage. Same reason as I've never understood people who swear by using a pressure cooker to cook vegetables.

EDIT: Just had a quick peek in the recipe book that came with my Slow Cooker (bought in the 70's !) and there are a few recipes in there for what they call 'curries', but they all sound disgusting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Daveg:

I'm not too sure if curries would be best done in a slow cooker. The main reason being that the veg normally used in curries would be mulch after such a long time being cooked.

Can I suggest maybe a spicy stew? (For the spicy bit I'd chuck in a spoon or two of grain mustard/chillis/paprika/Tabasco - depending on your taste buds.) If you're using meat - go for shin beef (any decent butcher will have this). It has fantastic flavour & really suits long slow cooking.

I made a stew recently with shin-beef & hardy veg (carrots/turnips) & had it on the hob for 8 hours gently ticking over. Was the best dish I've done in years.

Advertisement