Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertisements. Worst and best.

Options
  • 12-05-2006 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

So what ad's do you think are cool, and what ads get on your nerves?
    I think the Lucozade zombies rock, really well made and funny ads. As for the worst, I'd have to say the one for a yoghurt called Zen that was out a while ago that promised it would help chill you out at the end of the day. Oh, and the creepy AIB office christmas party one with the dude under the mistletoe. If thats an overview of AIB staff, then I think its time to close my account!!

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My favourite is the butter one where the little old lady brings the grim reeper in and gives him scones so he won't let her die or whatever, then sends him up to Mary down the road.. Something very endearing about it IMO...

Worst I would have to say those recycle ones where the nordy oul' one keeps flirting with the 30 something year old guy... creepy :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

xzanti wrote:
    My favourite is the butter one where the little old lady brings the grim reeper in and gives him scones so he won't let her die or whatever, then sends him up to Mary down the road.. Something very endearing about it IMO...

totally agree the kerrygold add is brilliant.

though the worst one has to be the fungal toe infection cream where the cartoon infection goes under the toe and shows all the ickness. Total gross!! And to make it worse its always on during meal times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

How about the ad for diarrhea tablets.
    Your insides is like a handbag full of sh*t, do YOU like carrying a handbag full of sh*t around? We know you dont, so take out tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Doesn't get any better than the Sony Bravia ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bb8P7dfjVw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I guess any ad you remember (even for negative reasons) has fulfilled it's purpose.

but atm I *really* hate the:
    1) 'Do your Thing' Diet Coke ad
    2) 'Do you want a career with that?' McDonalds ad

I think these two are fine examples of a new breed of ads aimed at people who don't even watch tv anymore (but have it playing in the background like noise whilst they're doing something else.)

As such they've made a deliberate attempt to be annoying aurally rather than visually with an array of ever increasingly stupid catchphrases.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Thats class, I never saw the whole thing before. The scene with the frog is excellent, and a bit surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

It took me about 6 month to remember what the Lucozade ad was for...very annoying advertising, I think, and clearly not effective (at least on me...). Also those two annoying chicks talking with their mouths full (I think it's for Aero chocolate or something) - worst ad ever (I really hate people with bad manners, and this is one of them...!)

Love the butter add with the little old lady and the reaper. Also love the Carlsberg ads - they're just funny! And the HB icecream add with the goth kids - so funny!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Agreed, best add on tv in a long time. Its fantastic stuff and the song by Jose Gonzalez is great as well. Top class stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Kellogs Granola is one I like,I suppose because I use to watch windy miller/ pc plod as a kid, they still do it for me.

I hate those adds for the claim companys ( I fell off a ladder and claims for you got me 5000 pounds.) Hold on, you broke your shoulder, were out of work for 3 months and you only got 5K and your company sacked you for claiming, sucker.
    On the radio, i hate any add with Morgan Jones in it. Who is he, he's the cnut who voices 90% of the adds on radio, his voice, in whatever accent he's using , goes through me like nails on a black board.

Archeron wrote:
    Thats class, I never saw the whole thing before. The scene with the frog is excellent, and a bit surreal.
    Best thing about the ad is that its all 100% real. No visual enhancements or clever editing, just an inspired idea, perfectly executed.

The "making of" is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1bEOtpqYpA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Love these threads!

Best ad: Any of those Bronzing Tan-in-a-Bottle ads from Johnson and Johnson. Could watch em all day.

Worst : Tampon ads. Us Men are SO Stupid!
    National Irish Bank - I thought it was a spoof when I saw it first. They are for real??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The badly dubbed Aero advertisements are pretty awful.
    Oh, and the creepy AIB office christmas party one with the dude under the mistletoe.

I have to say I think it was pretty good. However, it's getting old now, they need to refresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I must be the only person to hate that Bravia ad. I just find it really annoying for some reason. And I'm not to keen on the song either.

I love the Carlsberg ads. They're consistantly funny, IMO.

I hate the Perlico ads and the cillic bang ones. DAMN YOU BARRY SCOTT!!

jomanji wrote:
    I must be the only person to hate that Bravia ad. I just find it really annoying for some reason. And I'm not to keen on the song either.

I love the Carlsberg ads. They're consistantly funny, IMO.

I hate the Perlico ads and the cillic bang ones. DAMN YOU BARRY SCOTT!!
    Heathen!

Seriously though, how can you hate 250,000 bouncy balls being dumped from the top of a hill in San Fran?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

At the moment I like the HB Goth kids, the Lucozade zombies and the Heineken ads. I quite like the Miller ad where the guy rolls downhill on the bike. There's another one I really like but I can't remember it right now.

I really don't like those crappy Vanish (where your one is at the airport rubbing stains onto clothes and then washing them) or Cillit Bang ads (Hi I'm Barry Scott - aarghh!).

And Tv3 have some bad ads for programmes. The ad for The Commander was really annoying, when they had spliced footage on screen and kept repeating the main actress saying 'I'm under a lot of pressure/pressure/pressure...'. Really super annoying. Similarly the ad for Outrageous Fortune, asking if you know what a Kiwi is. Really annoying. They are not particularly good advertisements for the shows I think.

Prepare to like Cillit Bang a whole lot less...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GW1395hq_g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Prepare to like Cillit Bang a whole lot less...

I actually love those 'bangin' remix ads. Certainly an improvement on their source.

This is my favourite
    http://www.zippyvideos.com/192964189410305/esure_reduced_video/

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I used to Hate the add with the Meteor girls but for some perverse reason the are now seeming hot in my eyes... Wierd.

I loved the Honda adds with the moving parts.

Sony Bravia add. The reault add in Paris. All carlsberg adds also

the rebox add with the bellys goin to get you song...

God I watch way too much TV.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I just remembered, it's World Cup year... so Adidas and Nike do their best to cover the television with as many big stars as they possibly can. I particularly like the Adidas Jose+ ads, the concept is clever, the music is good and what helps make them special is when Beckenbauer runs out to join the game.

I think that it is very well done.

On the World Cup theme, the new Budweiser one is very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OEfOoGizcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

Love the McDonalds add "would you like fries with that?" I pissed myself laughing at it when it came out first.

Really hate the Veet waxing strips ads though. Especially when they are badly dubbed... "Hi, I'm here in Limerick..." ... eh sorry luv no you're not!!!

Love the McDonalds add "would you like fries with that?" I pissed myself laughing at it when it came out first.

Really hate the Veet waxing strips ads though. Especially when they are badly dubbed... "Hi, I'm here in Limerick..." ... eh sorry luv no you're not!!!

Ha! Like the Kinder ads. not only is the person most definitely matching with a dodgy Dublin accent, but half the time the chocolate bar looks superimposed as well.

How about Lidl? BRAND QUALITY IS CHEAPER as a manic looking blonde woman bounces merrily thorugh the aisles with a big wagon full of dodgy German products. If you look carefully as well, she has a big huge pack of bog roll on the top of the trolley, right beside that is a big giant pack of cheap tampons. BRAND QUALITY IS CHEAPER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Seriously though, how can you hate 250,000 bouncy balls being dumped from the top of a hill in San Fran?

Because it's just a lot of bouncy balls. In San Fran. That's it. I just don't get what's great about it. Compare it to the Honda ad with all the parts moving in a chain reaction. That's a work of art. The bouncy balls are just a danger to traffic. Think of the children! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

zaph wrote:

i love it, itss great :-) though defiantely not as good as the original. ;)

zaph wrote:

I don't think I have ever seen anything that funny in my life ! :D:D:D

I just seen the new Volkswagon ad for their new car, the fox. Bloody brilliant ad, so simple, and so effective. Plus you get to see so many cool cars in one ad (and a VW camper van bouncing from side to side. I wonder why its bouncing....Haha)

Advertisement