Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advise needed

Options
  • 12-05-2006 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a secondhand MR2 GT Turbo in about two weeks time. I am looking for a 1992 or 1993 model. I was wondering does anyone here have any advise on what to look out for in these cars? Anything in particular to be wary of?

Also I am no mechanic so I was planning on getting the AA to check out the car first before I buy. Are the AA good at spotting cars that are a bit of lemon? or is it likely the AA mechanic wouldn't have a clue about a Japanese import? Or are there any other good mechanics around Dublin that are familiar with these cars and don't mind checking them out for people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

Ive never personally used the AA but Ive read that they do a very thorough inspection, possibly too thorough,

Id suggest being very careful about which car you get them too inspect as its expensive to get them to come out so you dont want to be doing it 5/6 times,

I dont know a lot about MR2's but as with all Jap's try to get as much paperwork as possible from Japan ect. . You can often get service histories ect.. .
    Check for white gunk on the oil cap <Water in the oil>,
    at 30mph put it into 5th gear and floor it, <If the rev's go up and the car doesnt take off the clutch is most likely shot>
    Turn off the stereo on the test drive and listen out for knocks rattles and bangs,

Get one with an NCT if poss
    Check has the boost been upped, Electronic or mechanically
    Car is not pulling to one side particularly under braking
    The interior of the car should match its milage ie worn pedals ect. .
    Check the panel gaps are all the same,
    A 13 year old car will most likely have honest marks like stone chips on the front bumber, if it doest was it resprayed?

I belive the later MR2's had revised suspensio to make it less likely to snap oversteer

Good Luck with it and drive carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Thanks for the advise Slinky. I bought a nice MR2 turbo in the end. My first rear wheel drive car. It certainly is alot of fun to drive, quite an experience when the back starts sliding out on a corner :)

Advertisement